Daz How to light like a pro?

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
A new attempt. This one took longer to render. It went beyond 3000 iterations.
Light is a little changed and at the back i put a plane and made it to a mirror so it reflects light.
Looks ok to me.
Character has an OOT hair that actually works. Skin reflects a little as well.
Biggest give away is the window.
As long as you don't fix it, it just gonna be weird.
3000 its or 15000 won't make a change.
So fix it and make something credible.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Biggest give away is the window.
As long as you don't fix it, it just gonna be weird.
3000 its or 15000 won't make a change.
So fix it and make something credible.
The window?
What does need to be changed? I am listening because i don't know.

Yea, 3000 is a lot. I have to limit it.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
no no, I could be 3000 or one million, it doesnt matter.
It's about composition.

It ain't gonna work (never):

kitchen_test_new.jpg

It just break the whole thing.
Render itself is far from bad.

You need to be credible (always).

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
From the camera angle, which is fine, you'd never see the sky in the background like that. Especially since the clouds seem to go below the window frame. The horizon line doesn't make sense. It makes it seem like the room/house is floating in the sky instead of being on the ground.

So this is a composition thing, not a render settings thing.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Easiest way to deal with the "outside" is to just leave the window opening blank (ie: transparent - turn you Draw Dome off) then just whip up an outdoor picture in an editor like Photoshop or GIMP, adjust it's perspective and blur it a bit and slap it under your render.

If it's a scene you use a lot and from different angles, then ya, you should keep it part of the scene, but instead of the dome, use a primitive plane outside the window and slap a picture on that. Render in two passes... without the plane and then the plane alone ... then you can adjust the blurriness and the darkness of the plane to fit your needs (day, morning, night... etc..)

HDRI domes are kinda like training wheels for rendering. Sure, they are useful and and quick ways to render a scene, but the domes themselves are kind of a one shot thing. It's much better to keep them off and that way you can put spots outside your windows to simulate various effects like bright sunlight creating long shadows in a room, etc.

Although, I have made my own dynamic HDRI's using the high-res Google street image maps. Very handy for customizing your scenes and putting actual locations in that are not that fucking Haven Park from hell in 99% of the VN's out there, lol.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Am I the only one who though that is an image of a Daz Male figure? That jawline and strong chin looks more masculine than my real face.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Am I the only one who though that is an image of a Daz Male figure? That jawline and strong chin looks more masculine than my real face.
I think it's a problem of everyone being saturated with images of the "ideal" woman in these games -All of them have cartoon-like baby faces and exaggerated tits and asses - when in reality, very few women are anywhere close to that ideal. G9 does start with an androgynous base, but I think coffeeaddicted created a very lifelike and believable MILF here. I applaud them for resisting the urge to just make another cut & paste bimbo.

This girl actually looks like someone I know. I might show it to her one of these days to make her laugh.

Reactions: Saint_RNG

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I think it's a problem of everyone being saturated with images of the "ideal" woman in these games -All of them have cartoon-like baby faces and exaggerated tits and asses - when in reality, very few women are anywhere close to that ideal. G9 does start with an androgynous base, but I think coffeeaddicted created a very lifelike and believable MILF here. I applaud them for resisting the urge to just make another cut & paste bimbo.

This girl actually looks like someone I know. I might show it to her one of these days to make her laugh.
Well, i didn't create her but i was looking for something more realistic.
I never understood why women want to have big hooters or look like a cartoon in real life but this character looked really nice. Like a women you would meet anywhere in real.
I have to find that hair. I don't like the hair i am using.

I compare these games here to what you see on television and movies. Its usually about characters that live in luxurious apartments or have a luxurious house. Rarely is it about people like me, that live in a more basic flat. No pool, no guard, no nothing.
Perhaps it's an escapism for most to see what they never can have. Like women with big breasts.

Reactions: osanaiko

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
From the camera angle, which is fine, you'd never see the sky in the background like that. Especially since the clouds seem to go below the window frame. The horizon line doesn't make sense. It makes it seem like the room/house is floating in the sky instead of being on the ground.

So this is a composition thing, not a render settings thing.
Lol.
Ok, i'll get it. I have to find something that give the impression of living higher ground but no clouds perhaps.
Thanks.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, now i used something i hope is more realistic as a background.

kitchen.jpg

This should be something like, i am unhappy, just woken up. Taco doesn't really fit in the picture.
Where i have a hard time is to find something none sexy clothing.
The hair should be close (or it is) what is shown for the character. Looks better i think.
Not to bright on the character as far as lights go.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Easiest way to deal with the "outside" is to just leave the window opening blank (ie: transparent - turn you Draw Dome off) then just whip up an outdoor picture in an editor like Photoshop or GIMP, adjust it's perspective and blur it a bit and slap it under your render.

If it's a scene you use a lot and from different angles, then ya, you should keep it part of the scene, but instead of the dome, use a primitive plane outside the window and slap a picture on that. Render in two passes... without the plane and then the plane alone ... then you can adjust the blurriness and the darkness of the plane to fit your needs (day, morning, night... etc..)

HDRI domes are kinda like training wheels for rendering. Sure, they are useful and and quick ways to render a scene, but the domes themselves are kind of a one shot thing. It's much better to keep them off and that way you can put spots outside your windows to simulate various effects like bright sunlight creating long shadows in a room, etc.

Although, I have made my own dynamic HDRI's using the high-res Google street image maps. Very handy for customizing your scenes and putting actual locations in that are not that fucking Haven Park from hell in 99% of the VN's out there, lol.
I honestly never use any domes.
Only adding something later with paint.net. Seems easier. I like to render with less if possible.
Sun and Sky looks usually way better but using Iray Cam makes it kind of impossible. So i go for the next best, which is a spotlight.

For outside scene this is an option i have to explore. Not sure how to make them yourself, have to research that.
The more i thinker, the more i think to create an actual story is hard. Each scene is complicated just by lightning.

I found that Renderhub has more "real" characters. I like especially some male characters. None of them are for download here or on Renderhub. I found one "Ethan" that is but 8.1, so i have to convert that thing first.

I am not even sure if i want to make a lot of sex scenes. Animations are a no no for me. To complicated. Maybe some premade ones.

Thanks for the suggestions. Its silly, but i am doing it for some time now and still, i don't get the basics. Really frustrating.

no_more_name

Mar 3, 2024
Ok, now i used something i hope is more realistic as a background.
It still not credible (blur it a bit to hide pixellisation).
When you have a clear window in sight, you will run into problems.
It's mostly retry & try again.
It's frustating until you start to get it.

Most of the time, you don't deal with background yet.
Render without it, leave it transparent, fully concentrate on the render 'meat'.
Find a cool background -> Photoshop -> Blur (if any), Transform (ctrl+t)
It take few tries to got it right.

Background, I think it's an old HDRI (tbh I don't remember):
bg.jpg

Background in final render:
zzzz.jpg

There is also another way, when you abuse depth of field (very blurry background).
It's to use environment setting :

zzzz3.jpg
zzzz4.jpg

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
It still not credible (blur it a bit to hide pixellisation).
When you have a clear window in sight, you will run into problems.
It's mostly retry & try again.
It's frustating until you start to get it.

Most of the time, you don't deal with background yet.
Render without it, leave it transparent, fully concentrate on the render 'meat'.
Find a cool background -> Photoshop -> Blur (if any), Transform (ctrl+t)
It take few tries to got it right.

Background, I think it's an old HDRI (tbh I don't remember):
View attachment 3597700

Background in final render:
View attachment 3597657

There is also another way, when you abuse depth of field (very blurry background).
It's to use environment setting :

View attachment 3597707
View attachment 3597711
For some reason, you remind me of someone.

Anyway, this seems advanced but i definitely like the examples.

When i look for backgrounds, i usually end up with stuff where the angle isn't right and since they are photographs, they look flat.
Though with blur you probably can do a lot. After all you don't want attention for the background.
I have to experiment with these examples.

Not sure if i ever make it to actually making something but at least maybe i can make a great image of fake. lol