Tutorial How to make a game

May 5, 2019
Yesterday I ask a question "how to make game" and got zero answers, so I keep on searching using different keywords and let me present to you basic game guide.
Disclaimer :- I have just did one day of research, so there could be Alot of things missing.

First of all we need engine to make games , I will not waste your time on talking about Alot of stuff so I am skipping the talk.
Use RENPY why? Its easy to learn.
NOW HERE ARE THREE VIDEOS WHICH WILL GUIDE YOU TO MAKE A GAME.

(3)

Now you can make next big game but you ask where can I get images?
Easily make them or get them daz3d or honey select 2.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Now if you got some props like train and station how you mix them ? For that you have to use daz Studio.

Why ? Mostly assest are made in daz.
I will add as I learn more and if you want to add something tell me in comment.

tjabba

Aug 27, 2018
Gonna be following this. Want to try and start something myself so much appreciated the links provided :)

gamie1138

Aug 19, 2016
Just starting out myself. But from other creative experiences I can tell you it's going to take time and effort, there aren't any shortcuts.

Yes, in Renpy is easy to learn how to make a basic VN, but anything else is going to take extended effort.
Same goes for to artwork/graphics. Just slapping a bunch of DAZ assets together an hoping for the best ain't gonna cut it.

The first step is knowing what type of game you want to make, this will also inform the next chices you need to make.

Once you know that, pick a game engine. Renpy is perfect for 2D VNs/KNs, really good at Dating Sims and ok for Slice of Life/Management games. Anything else, you're wasting your time with Renpy. You could probably figure it out, but it's creating unnecessary work when there are much better suited engines.
Same goes for other engines. Some are great for some types of games and terrible for others. I still don't understand why people use Unity to make VNs, it's great for 3D but complete overkill for 2D. Only reason I can think of is that you just dont want to learn a new engine.
Figure out what game you want make, then research the best engine for it. It'll save you a lot of time you'd waste using an engine that you later figure out can't do (or at least do it well) what you want it to do.

As for graphics...

Hand drawn is king! If you can draw well, you'll get more attention. People love well drawn VNs.

If not, then DAZ is the next best option. But everyone and their grandmother uses DAZ, so your game will end up looking like everyone elses. And if you're going to Patreon/charge your game, hope you paid for those assets. Also you need a beefy computer or you'll be waiting for ages for each render and they'll still look meh.

Illusion titles are next. Honey Select 1/2, AI Shoujo, Koikatsu, etc. Heavly modded versions of all of these can be DLed all over the place. Easier to work with than DAZ, and far lower computer requierment to render semi decent images quickly... but there are some people who turn their nose up to Illusion based graphics. Plus you're limited to whatever mods are available (HS1 has a huge amount though).

IRL pics. Find alot of HTML games using real life pictures. Whatever you can find on the net, but you can't be picky. If your MC really wants to bang that cute blode girl while shes wearing Wonder Woman cosplay, and you can't find a pic like that, then you're out of luck. Personally not my thing but YMMV.

Text only. Nothing wrong with a text only game, but they get far less attention than other games (obviously), and you better be a good writer. Plus side, there are lots of IF engines out there to use and most are as simple as writing a sentence.

TLDR: Start small, figure out what kind of game you want and pick the best engine and best graphics option for it/you.

Anyway, that's what I've figure out or seen others mentioned so far. Good luck.

njadas

Aug 12, 2018
I am also new to this and in the process of planning a game. The graphic and development work for me seems to build on a much more important steps related to finding the right story, building the script and creating a storyboard. I am very interested in understanding that initial workflow and how some of the experienced developers do this. thanks.

den_tiger

Feb 16, 2022
Would Ren'Py be good enough for a game like Being a Dik or AOA Academy? I saw the Ren'Py tag on BADIK so I assume that's what they used?

Ifartedtoolong

Feb 27, 2022
Both are renpy games. It depends on what you want to do as each engine will have limitations as to what you can do and some are better then others depending on what you want to do in your game.

Last edited: