HTML How to make an HTML RPG game?

Sep 28, 2018
I wanted to figure out if there was anyone who knows about making HTML sex RPG games (similar to the ones on this website). I don't even know where to start to try and make a game. Is coding knowledge required or is there already software out there that makes games and its more or less selecting what you want and the engine will put together the HTML for you? What would be helpful is the following

Engine & Tools
-Is there an engine / tool that makes games HTML sex games
-Do I need a coding software in order to make HTML games?

Helpful tutorials
-Is there a tutorial online that could help me get started
-Is there a coding tutorial (If the game is made by coding)

Images/Videos
-Do the Images and videos need to be converted into a specific format in the Images folder?

-Is there anything I missed lol?

Here are a few examples of games I would like to make (Similar formats of HTML)

Candid Urban Muffs [v0.14] [Clownpron]
Young Maria [v6.5.0] [MariaMod]
The Whore of Babylon [v1.4] [Kitty and the Lord]
College Daze [v0.056a] [G28]
Secretary [v0.7.5.0] [Deedee]

If anyone has any sort of tips, tricks, and advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and stay horny people !+

Mar 18, 2020
Yep, Twine seems to be the default option. It's not specifically designed for sex games, but it works well with them. It basically offers a graphic map of your story, then converts it into basic HTML. I've been slowly working on my first project using it for a while now, and can hopefully offer some advice.

There a several 'story formats' you can choose from. Sugarcube seems to be the most useful, and is what most of the games above use. The save menu on the left is a feature of Sugarcube, so you can pretty much always tell when a game uses it. I started making my game using the default story format, Harlowe, which is probably a little simpler, but I found it didn't have certain features that I wanted so I switched early on.

No additional coding software is needed, but each story format has it's own coding style/syntax, and built in features. There are tons of written and Youtube tutorials around, just google what you're after - eg. 'Twine sugarcube tutorial' will get you a range of results. That said, coding can be as simple or as complicated as you want. You can make a fully functional game using nothing more than links between pages. Or you can add variables, IF statements and gameplay loops and make things much more complicated.

Everything comes out in HTML, so images and videos can be in any format that can be displayed in a web browser.

I started out with some very basic, outdated HTML knowledge, but as I progressed I found I started teaching myself CSS to customise the game and make it look more unique. That's completely unnecessary though, it's really just to make things look better.

Feel free to let me know if you've got any more questions. I'm still learning too, so figured it would be nice to share. :)

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
optionally you can use html to implement javascript to then implement a custom OpenGL game engine, but that is probably the woste advice I could give.

outsider artisan

Developer of Succubus Stories.
Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
RPG Maker is JavaScript/HTML5-based these days and can run in a browser. It's a way better starting point than Twine for a JRPG-style game, imo.

GDS

Best Dev EVUR!
Game Developer
Jul 19, 2017
people seens to be confusing HTML with HTML-5
HTML will only show some images and text(kind of)
HTML5 is the gamey one
Still HTML5 needs a lot of work compared to win/mac versions so I recomedn most coders to stay away from it

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
HTML5 is just the modern standards specification of HTML as implemented by most modern browsers. See: and

Mar 18, 2020
I am currently making a game in Sugarcube. I am having trouble with some of the more intricate parts of stats and time progression but I think its the easiest option at this time.
Good luck! I've ended up keeping a separate excel spreadsheet to keep track of all my stats and what they're called and being used for. I also found that updating stats on the click to move to the next page is the best route, rather than on the page loading. That might be obvious, but it was was a mistake I made at the start.

My time system is terrible so I'm not going to try to help you there. ;)

The cool thing about Twine is it's really just a format for laying out your story. Then you can add as much HTML/HTML5 as you want or know how to do.

Last edited:

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
There are actually a ton of RPGM lewd games, and a lot of them are pretty decent. That said, I think the issue with RPGM is that its for making a very specific kind of game on a lot of levels.

Anyway, my point about HTML5 is that it's a standard that's already built into most browsers. HTML5 is not really complicated, it's just more media rich and provides more robust DOM APIs that make interactive pages easier to create. Any engine you use, whether Twine or RPGM, to my knowledge, leverages a great deal of HTML5. I know Sugarcube definitely does, and it even polyfills a lot of stuff so it works pretty well even in older browsers.

HTML5 is not like a super complex, optional subset of HTML or something, which is what some people in this thread were making it sound like, though maybe that was just me misunderstanding it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
HTML5 is not like a super complex, optional subset of HTML or something, which is what some people in this thread were making it sound like, though maybe that was just me misunderstanding it.
I understand what HTML5 is. I cannot speak for others.

I am not interested in any more overhead than a dev absolutely has to contend with. Complexity (feature richness) often equals fragility. Too many great stories never get finished because the dev crumples under the weight of bug testing and versioning rather than telling their story their way.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Here's a thought, now that I am revisiting this thread, what about openGL or WebGL?

it sounds like the original post is just being broad, and since I can probably guess that everyone agrees that things shouldn't be more complex than they need to be, let me give a broad answer.

Use a game engine/system that can port over to OpenGL/WebGL such as unity, godot, even monogame (but this one is raw code, not an engine). OpenGL/WebGL are drawing API's similar to directX 11 or Vulkan, but these are open, simpler, and well supported, and while OpenGL can be used everywhere, WebGL is more modern and streamlined. But here is the great thing, if you pick a game engine that has support for one of these, you don't need to worry about how the graphics are coded. You just need to focus on your game.

side note, I do believe that trying to export a unity game for browser causes a lot more compile issues, and rather than solve it unity gave up and just implemented the unity player for sites such as newgrounds.

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
side note, I do believe that trying to export a unity game for browser causes a lot more compile issues, and rather than solve it unity gave up and just implemented the unity player for sites such as newgrounds.
I don't have much experience with Unity on the web but I've heard a lot of horror stories and I know it doesn't run very well. Or at least it didn't used to run very well.

I am not going to respond to anyone in specific about HTML5 and I'm just gonna say one more thing on the topic and then I'll shut up because I suspect I'm wearing out my welcome. I'm just going to appeal to other readers to learn HTML5. Don't learn some arbitrary outdated version of HTML. That's just not good advice. You shouldn't be striving to learn like XHTML or HTML 4.1; you want to learn HTML5 because it's what's being used today and it's a living standard so it will be around for the foreseeable future. It is in no way a particularly complicated or complex form of HTML and you will not benefit at all from learning some older, dead HTML standard instead. It's just a markup language for structuring documents, just like it's predecessors.

Sep 28, 2018
I mean I understand where everyone is coming from. Like I said I am mainly running into the issue of a time system, and a stat system. I am pretty comfortable putting media into a story and writing. The whole situation is messed up. I would like to ask about specific issues and such but there are few and far between who would proof read or figure out where my code went wrong. I can't even seem to manage setting up variables to the point where they increase on click. It seems like there are so many issues. If anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to a basic stat system, with increased variable upon click or a basic time system, or just understanding how to make one, it would be appreciated. I finished up the first little portion which I would like to call V.00001 because I suck at programming lmfao.

Mar 18, 2020
Assuming you understand the concept of setting up a variable? Basically any word with a $ sign at the front? ie $health, $money, etc.

By 'increase on click', do you mean on the transition between passages? To increase stats there, all you need is the following;

[[Go to next page|Page2][$VariableName +=1]]

which translates to:

[[Text shown to player|Name of next passage][Name of Variable / what you're doing to it]]

+= is a shortcut meaning 'add to the current value'. You can also use [$VariableName = $VariableName +1] to do the same thing.

is the full documentation for sugarcube, which you've probably already found. There's a lot though and I find it a little hard to read and find what I'm looking for, and I already have some (very) basic knowledge of coding.

Sep 28, 2018
@SalaiousMandate I was able to get the variable working. When I try to increase a variable upon click, (in this case the variable is a stat) The variable only increases by one even with the repeated use of the increase stat on click. The Variable never increases more than 1.

Mar 18, 2020
Hmm. You're using the update on click function? Like, using a button to update a variable, rather than passively updating as part of the story? I have to admit I haven't actually looked into that yet. If you want to send me the code (You can PM if you'd like) I can have a quick look at it, and see if anything obvious jumps out at me.

BoredPenguin

Aug 21, 2020
I've found was really helpful for getting started. I've literally zero programming knowledge before I started my current project, but he does a good job of explaining things clearly and concisely. This along with the SugarCube documentation posted earlier have been enough to get me started and keep things running smoothly so far.