Tool Ren'Py How to make TTS text invisible when it is enabled?

Rycharde's Realm

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2018
I'm looking for a way of making the TTS disable string (Self-voicing enabled. Press 'v' to disable.) when it is enabled invisible. Been looking through code, and Ren'Py online documents and tutorials, even here on F95, but no go. Here's hoping someone here knows. Thx.

Reactions: LITE007

Bev_

Nov 17, 2018
If I understood you correctly, what you'r looking for is in [gamefolder]/renpy/common/00preferences.rpy

Code:
init -1500:

# The screen that we use to indicate that self-voicing is enabled.
    screen _self_voicing():
        zorder 1500

if _preferences.self_voicing == "clipboard":
            $ message = _("Clipboard voicing enabled. Press 'shift+C' to disable.")
        elif _preferences.self_voicing == "debug":
            $ message = _("Self-voicing would say \"[renpy.display.tts.last]\". Press 'alt+shift+V' to disable.")
        else:
            $ message = _("Self-voicing enabled. Press 'v' to disable.")

text message:
            alt ""

xpos 10
            ypos 35
            color "#fff"
            outlines [ (1, "#0008", 0, 0)]

Rycharde's Realm

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2018
Yes, you understood my meaning. So, if I understand Ren'Py enough, which I do not :LOL: , if I put in the screen _self_voicing() with $ message = _("") in place of those three $ message lines in a file like game/gui.rpy, that should remove the disable text?

Bev_

Nov 17, 2018
Yes, you understood my meaning. So, if I understand Ren'Py enough, which I do not :LOL: , if I put in the screen _self_voicing() with $ message = _("") in place of those three $ message lines in a file like game/gui.rpy, that should remove the disable text?
I'd just go to [gamefolder]/renpy/common/00preferences.rpy and edit that file, but I think copying this

Code:
init -1500:

# The screen that we use to indicate that self-voicing is enabled.
    screen _self_voicing():
        zorder 1500

$ message = _("Clipboard voicing enabled. Press 'shift+C' to disable.")
            $ message = _("Self-voicing would say \"[renpy.display.tts.last]\". Press 'alt+shift+V' to disable.")
        else:
            $ message = _("")

text message:
            alt ""

xpos 10
            ypos 35
            color "#fff"
            outlines [ (1, "#0008", 0, 0)]
and pasting it in another file should work too.

Rycharde's Realm

Game Developer
Jan 17, 2018
Yeah, the reason I am looking into putting the code into gui.rpy instead of changing 00preferences.rpy is because I am working on my own game and do not want to rewrite the Ren'Py code with every version I release.

BTW, I have copied a portion of the code to the game and it works fine.

Code:
# Removal of TTS disable text when it is enabled.
# For example, if using built-in TTS reader by pressing 'v', the text 'Self-voising enabled. Press 'v' to disable.' is removed from the screen.
# I REALLY hate this line. If you know how to enable the TTS reader or send text dialogue and such to the clipboard, you know how to disable it. SIGH!
screen _self_voicing():

zorder 1500

$ message = _("")
    else:
        $ message = _("")
Thank you for your help.