How to make your own characters on Daz 3D.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
I have notice that many people uses unedited or "Out of the box" characters in their games and/or renders I find that to be a big turn off.

I do believe that each game should have unique characters with their own look, traits, and quirks.
That made me think that probably people don't know how to edit their character's look and maybe if we have a basic guide we can start to create our very own dream girls.

This tutorial will cover the basics of character editing; I will be using a basic genesis 8 female model and will use the basic real world morph settings.

You will need at least genesis 8 female head morphs and genesis 8 female body morphs to follow this tutorial.

In this first part we will edit genesis 8's face:

Lets start by loading in a genesis 8 female model. (the basic model that comes with the free software not a character you have purchased)

Once you have loaded in your genesis 8 female:
Make sure you select your model and go to the "Shaping" tab, we will be working on this tab for a while.

Then we're gonna start with her cheeks and jaw:
1 - Once you select "Cheeks and Jaw" under "Face" click on "Real World".
2 - There we will use the dials to adjust the shape values.
3 - We will be using left click to use the navigation cube to rotate our model and we can also use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Then use the dials to adjust the shape to the following values or type them by left clicking on the dial's percentage.

Cheeks and jaw:
Cheek bone height -5%
Cheek bone size 25%
Cheeks chubby -5%
Cheeks define 5%
Cheek depth a 10%
Cheek lower depth -5%
Chin depth 5%
Chin length -50%
Chin pointed 40%
Chin scale -5%
Jaw curve -5%
Jaw middle width 15%

Then under "Face" select "Brows"

Use the dials to match this values or type them in:

Brows:
Brows arch 5%
Brows center depth 2%
Brows define 2%
Brows depth 2%
Brows distance -5%
Brows height 5%
Brows inner height -20%
Brows middle height -35%
Brows outer height 5%
Brows outer width 2%
Forehead style small 2%
Forehead temples define 2%
Forehead width -5%

Then we will move to her eyes; Select "Eyes" and always make sure you're using "Real World" morphs.

Enter the following values:

Eyes:
Eyes arched 40%
Eyes distance -2%
Eyes height a -30%
Eyes inner height 15%
Eyes inner width 5%
Eyes lower middle a 10%
Eyes lower middle b -5%
Eyes outer depth -5%
Eyes outer height 10%
Eyes scale 5%
Eyes slant in 15%
Eyes slant out 30%
Eyes upper inner -40%
Eyes outer -30%

Then we will move to her nose:

Adjust the dials or enter the following values:

Nose:
Nose angle up 25%
Nose bridge depth (alt) 5%
Nose bridge style low 30%
Nose bridge width (alt) -20%
Nose bulbus -5% [change parameters to allow going below 0%]
Nose curved in 5%
Nose depth (alt) 10%
Nose lower height -10%
Nose scale -15%
Nose style Nordic 5%

To adjust parameters beyond the normal values we have to change the default setings, we do it by left clicking on the gear icon on the morph dial and entering the desired value:

Once we're done with that then we move on to her mouth:

Enter the following values or adjust the dials to match them:

Mouth:
Lip line curves inner 10%
Lip lines curves outer 5%
Lip line height -10%
Lip lower center height -10%
Lip lower curves a -10%
Lip lower curves b -5%
Lip lower volume 5%
Lip upper corners pout -10%
Lip upper enlarge -5%
Lip upper fine tune a 2%
Lip upper fine tune b 2%
Lip upper fine tune c -2%
Lip upper fuller 2%
Lip upper width 5%
Mouth depth in out -20%
Mouth height (alt) 10%
Mouth small 25%
Mouth width (alt) -50%
Philtrum depth (alt) -25%

And we're done morphing her face, now you should be more familiar with the morphing process and you will notice that subtle changes can make a big difference.
Now you want to save the changes you have made; to do so go to the top left menu and choose "File" then "Save as" and select "Character Preset.." give it a name and save it.

If you followed this tutorial and entered the given values you would end up with a custom model that looks just like this one:

Don't forget to add some textures you like to your new character, make up, eye color, skin complexion, and hair color can do wonders for your creations:

That is for part one, next we will be working on her body shape (Later on).

Last edited:

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
This is Awesome, If anyone ever see a game from my creation it would be because of this thread
( it seems too easy , I'm sure there is a lot more to it but I'm encouraged )
It can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you jump into editing characters you will see that is not that difficult. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
You're right, it can definitely be a turnoff. I mean, how many games on this site use the standard Victoria 7 model or use the Lilith 7 model as the MC's milf character without much alterations to the facial features?

Since I started using Daz last year, one of the goals was to always learn how to morph my characters in a way I'm comfortable with. Sometimes this can mean dialing a lot of facial features, or just go very simple and mix and match some preset faces. Maybe have Victoria 7's face at 30% and have another at 10% and add some morphs to the lips here and there. Just stuff like that can make all the difference in the world, so you don't have to morph every feature from the cranium to the chin. Sometimes simple is best. The only time I don't really morph is if the look makes the character being used look unique in it's own way.

I'd like to say at this point I've become satisfied with where I'm at in terms of morphing characters. These are 3 characters I've created to eventually feature in my game. All Gen8 and I don't think I morphed them very heavily, yet they all look different and not one looks like a character you've seen 10 times in these games. The least morphed facial-wise being the middle one I believe because all I did was dial Teen Kaylee 8 up to about 47 and maybe some slight lip and eye morphs.
Ava.jpg Naila.jpg Daryn.jpg
But be that as it may, the simplest things can make all the difference. I also played a lot with the skins textures. Changed the translucency weight, base color, all that stuff just helps. Sometimes I even take them to PS or Gimp. At this point, unique looking characters are addicting to create for me.

jfredy78

Jul 22, 2017
I have notice that many people uses unedited or "Out of the box" characters in their games and/or renders I find that to be a big turn off.

I do believe that each game should have unique characters with their own look, traits, and quirks.
That made think than probably people don't know how to edit their character's look and maybe if we have a basic guide we can start to create our very own dream girls.

This tutorial will cover the basics of character editing; I will be using a basic genesis 8 female model and will use the basic real world morph settings.

You will need at least genesis 8 female head morphs and genesis 8 female body morphs to follow this tutorial.

In this first part we will edit genesis 8's face:

Lets start by loading in a genesis 8 female model. (the basic model that comes with the free software not a character you have purchased)

Once you have loaded in your genesis 8 female:
Make sure you select your model and go to the "Shaping" tab, we will be working on this tab for a while.

Then we're gonna start with her cheeks and jaw:
1 - Once you select "Cheeks and Jaw" under "Face" click on "Real World".
2 - There we will use the dials to adjust the shape values.
3 - We will be using left click to use the navigation cube to rotate our model and we can also use the mouse wheel to zoom in or out.

Then use the dials to adjust the shape to the following values or type them by left clicking on the dial's percentage.

Cheeks and jaw:
Cheek bone height -5%
Cheek bone size 25%
Cheeks chubby -5%
Cheeks define 5%
Cheek depth a 10%
Cheek lower depth -5%
Chin depth 5%
Chin length -50%
Chin pointed 40%
Chin scale -5%
Jaw curve -5%
Jaw middle width 15%

Then under "Face" select "Brows"

Use the dials to match this values or type them in:

Brows:
Brows arch 5%
Brows center depth 2%
Brows define 2%
Brows depth 2%
Brows distance -5%
Brows height 5%
Brows inner height -20%
Brows middle height -35%
Brows outer height 5%
Brows outer width 2%
Forehead style small 2%
Forehead temples define 2%
Forehead width -5%

Then we will move to her eyes; Select "Eyes" and always make sure you're using "Real World" morphs.

Enter the following values:

Eyes:
Eyes arched 40%
Eyes distance -2%
Eyes height a -30%
Eyes inner height 15%
Eyes inner width 5%
Eyes lower middle a 10%
Eyes lower middle b -5%
Eyes outer depth -5%
Eyes outer height 10%
Eyes scale 5%
Eyes slant in 15%
Eyes slant out 30%
Eyes upper inner -40%
Eyes outer -30%

Then we will move to her nose:

Adjust the dials or enter the following values:

Nose:
Nose angle up 25%
Nose bridge depth (alt) 5%
Nose bridge style low 30%
Nose bridge width (alt) -20%
Nose bulbus -5% [change parameters to allow going below 0%]
Nose curved in 5%
Nose depth (alt) 10%
Nose lower height -10%
Nose scale -15%
Nose style Nordic 5%

To adjust parameters beyond the normal values we have to change the default setings, we do it by left clicking on the gear icon on the morph dial and entering the desired value:

Once we're done with that then we move on to her mouth:

Enter the following values or adjust the dials to match them:

Mouth:
Lip line curves inner 10%
Lip lines curves outer 5%
Lip line height -10%
Lip lower center height -10%
Lip lower curves a -10%
Lip lower curves b -5%
Lip lower volume 5%
Lip upper corners pout -10%
Lip upper enlarge -5%
Lip upper fine tune a 2%
Lip upper fine tune b 2%
Lip upper fine tune c -2%
Lip upper fuller 2%
Lip upper width 5%
Mouth depth in out -20%
Mouth height (alt) 10%
Mouth small 25%
Mouth width (alt) -50%
Philtrum depth (alt) -25%

And we're done morphing her face, now you should be more familiar with the morphing process and you will notice that subtle changes can make a big difference.
Now you want to save the changes you have made; to do so go to the top left menu and choose "File" then "Save as" and select "Character Preset.." give it a name and save it.

If you followed this tutorial and entered the given values you would end up with a custom model that looks just like this one:

Don't forget to add some textures you like to your new character, make up, eye color, skin complexion, and hair color can do wonders for your creations:

Pour la première partie, nous allons ensuite travailler sur la forme de son corps (plus tard). [/ QUOTE]

franchement j'ai adore ton tuto si tu pouvait en faire d'autre
frankly I love your tutorial if you could do more

AgentOrange

Jul 3, 2017
Taking the process a bit further. Here is a nice youtube tutorial on how to save out your custom morphed character for later use (maybe even for resale)

Reactions: lexx228

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
You're right, it can definitely be a turnoff. I mean, how many games on this site use the standard Victoria 7 model or use the Lilith 7 model as the MC's milf character without much alterations to the facial features?

Since I started using Daz last year, one of the goals was to always learn how to morph my characters in a way I'm comfortable with. Sometimes this can mean dialing a lot of facial features, or just go very simple and mix and match some preset faces. Maybe have Victoria 7's face at 30% and have another at 10% and add some morphs to the lips here and there. Just stuff like that can make all the difference in the world, so you don't have to morph every feature from the cranium to the chin. Sometimes simple is best. The only time I don't really morph is if the look makes the character being used look unique in it's own way.

I'd like to say at this point I've become satisfied with where I'm at in terms of morphing characters. These are 3 characters I've created to eventually feature in my game. All Gen8 and I don't think I morphed them very heavily, yet they all look different and not one looks like a character you've seen 10 times in these games. The least morphed facial-wise being the middle one I believe because all I did was dial Teen Kaylee 8 up to about 47 and maybe some slight lip and eye morphs.
View attachment 257338 View attachment 257339 View attachment 257340
But be that as it may, the simplest things can make all the difference. I also played a lot with the skins textures. Changed the translucency weight, base color, all that stuff just helps. Sometimes I even take them to PS or Gimp. At this point, unique looking characters are addicting to create for me.
I tried to use that method, using small percentages of other characters to create a new one, but I didn't like it.
Some characters shapes go well together but some don't. Also I don't feel in control of the shape or proportions, had to go into the shape tab to adjust values around when I was using that method.

This tutorial is meant to help others understand the very basics of character creation in Daz 3D and is also meant to be used even if they haven't download any custom character, beside the fact that some people may not have the characters used to mix together, appreciate you mentioning it and in fact is better than just using an out of the box character tho.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
This is a fantastic thread. I personally dont use your methods but use a large number of morphs. It makes me sad when i see someone make a great game and use horrible or overused models

Reactions: 9thCrux

faibolx

Oct 18, 2019
Thank you, your method clarified me a lot of questions I used to have, specially I used to extremely deform my character, now I see how subtle it could be to make a difference in the appearance.

Reactions: 9thCrux

BurningSage

Oct 10, 2020
Hey, thanks for the tutorial. Just wondering, I got the Genesis 8 face morphs as suggested, but when I follow this tutorial I don't have the same dials (example for Cheeks section I don't have ''Cheeks chubby'' ''Cheeks Lower Width'' and a few others) and this is the same for all of the sections, I have quite a limited number of dials in comparison. Any idea why? Thanks again.

Moineau

Nov 26, 2019
Hey, thanks for the tutorial. Just wondering, I got the Genesis 8 face morphs as suggested, but when I follow this tutorial I don't have the same dials (example for Cheeks section I don't have ''Cheeks chubby'' ''Cheeks Lower Width'' and a few others) and this is the same for all of the sections, I have quite a limited number of dials in comparison. Any idea why? Thanks again.
Maybe because Daz Studio evolved during the past year and some options have changed.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote