• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tutorial How To Mount An ISO To Install A Game

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
Many older adult games, especially Japanese ones, will come in the form of an .ISO file(s), rather than a self-contained launcher. This guide will explain how to mount them to install the game as simply as possible.

This guide will not address ways to get around Japanese region locking / AppLocale methods.

While there are many mounting programs, my favorite is WinCDEmu ( ) as it is open-source, small, light, and simple to use.

After installing simply double click on the .ISO, or right-click on it and hit "Select drive letter & mount"
ss1.png

Either method will open up this box:

ss2.png

It does not really matter what letter you assign the drive, you can simply hit OK.

Windows will now see the .ISO file as if you had inserted the disc into your computer:

ss3.png

More than likely an explorer window will have popped up showing the contents of that drive. Either way, you can now run the installer, typically "Setup.exe", depending on the game.

ss4.png

Simply double-click that application and you can begin installing the game. In cases where the game came on more than one disc, once it prompts you to install the next disc, you can right-click on the virtual drive and hit Eject:

ss5.png

And then follow the previous steps on the next .ISO file. Once you have finished installing the game you can eject the final disc. In rare cases the game may require you to have the disc in the drive, in which case you'll just have to mount that image.

Sadomasochist

Mar 22, 2018
Hi, I'm sorry about this but the second ISO file needs unpacking and is unreadable on my end. Is there a way to change this?

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
I personally hate mounting iso's, I'd rather just use 7-zip and extract everything inside of it and be done with it.

Muff Diver

Gaming Legend & LoneWolf
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 18, 2016
I personally hate mounting iso's, I'd rather just use 7-zip and extract everything inside of it and be done with it.
boo to easy no fun in that Mr Otter lol. Nothing like a mount now and then ;)

Reactions: TCMS