How to remove makeup in DAZ 3D

DillionWhore

Sep 30, 2018
I installed this in DAZ 3d:

Now my models lips are bright white -only shows in render- and now i want to remove but i have no clue how.
I googled and found things about material editor or surface editor but i cant figure it out.
How hard can it be :(

Anyone know how?

Thanks.

oh yeah.. didnt know where i should ask this, here or in assets.
But since assets has pretty strict request policy and this doesnt fit that i though i put it here.

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Make-ups (like tattoos for example) normally use L.I.E. and are added to the character's texture, you won't find it in the "Scene" tab to delete it. What you have to do is, if you are on time: Ctrl+Z (LOL), if you can't, find the character you used (for the texture at least) and re-apply the lipstick you want of the character itself, this has to remove the previous addition.

NOTE: Trying things with materials (makeup, etc...) sometimes it's common to have problems and want to go back, but it doesn't always go well and can spoil the work of hours ... so it's highly recommended: 1) save before testing with materials, and 2) have the character's material saved separately: Save As > Material Preset (this way, with your specific problem, you would only have to select the character and make a Merge with the material, and it would be back to the beginning).

Reactions: Manifold and OhWee

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
surfaces -> (your character) -> surfaces -> Lips -> click on the small image in "Base Color" -> in the dropdown select "Layered Image Editor" (4. from the top) -> (the new window that opens can take a bit time, so don't freak out and wait until it's loaded) delete the make-up (click on the minus sign until everything but the lowest layer is gone).

DillionWhore

Sep 30, 2018
surfaces -> (your character) -> surfaces -> Lips -> click on the small image in "Base Color" -> in the dropdown select "Layered Image Editor" (4. from the top) -> (the new window that opens can take a bit time, so don't freak out and wait until it's loaded) delete the make-up (click on the minus sign until everything but the lowest layer is gone).
I did just feel it should be easier, i expected it to be easier.
Thank you.

Am i right ina ssuming everytime i add one the texture gets rebaked and every additional layer addition will take longer?

Infact i had been there before but didnt see how i could delete layers.
I did not realize disabling removed them.

Last edited:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Am i right ina ssuming everytime i add one the texture gets rebaked and every additional layer addition will take longer?
I'm not sure about this, but it feels like it. Adding only one layer takes ages already, so when I add a layer I usually take the baked texture and copy it over into my textures folder and rename it, then use it. This way it only loads the baked texture and not the layers everytime.

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
I'm not sure about this, but it feels like it. Adding only one layer takes ages already, so when I add a layer I usually take the baked texture and copy it over into my textures folder and rename it, then use it. This way it only loads the baked texture and not the layers everytime.
Noobie here...tried the instructions above on my genesis 8 female, from which I'd like to remove the Elizabeth model lipstick (and any other's, if necessary).

But when I go to surfaces (editor)/genesis 8 female/surfaces/lips, I find no "base color" texture. Only diffuse, specular X 2, subsurface and bump textures. Removing them all one by one using the LIE panel makes it worse (gives me a white uniform pattern on lips).

Generally is there a way to reload the basic genesis 8 female lipstick, or lack thereof, and just replace any lipstick material you've added from other characters with a simple click? I'm at a loss as to where to find separate parts in the smart content/content library panels.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Noobie here...tried the instructions above on my genesis 8 female, from which I'd like to remove the Elizabeth model lipstick (and any other's, if necessary).

But when I go to surfaces (editor)/genesis 8 female/surfaces/lips, I find no "base color" texture. Only diffuse, specular X 2, subsurface and bump textures. Removing them all one by one using the LIE panel makes it worse (gives me a white uniform pattern on lips).

Generally is there a way to reload the basic genesis 8 female lipstick, or lack thereof, and just replace any lipstick material you've added from other characters with a simple click? I'm at a loss as to where to find separate parts in the smart content/content library panels.
You're using a 3DLight shader, there it's called diffuse, Specular, Subsurface, etc instead of Base Color, Gloss, Translucency, etc. instead of Base Color Specular, etc (the latter are actuallly the correct terms, I don't know why it's called different in iray shader).
Don't remove all textures in LIE, just the upper layer/s, not the last layer. The last layer is the base texture, lipstick/make-up is usually added above the base texture. If there is no layer above the base texture, then it's not an LIE preset.
1579931681362.png

Reactions: Manifold

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
You're using a 3DLight shader, there it's called diffuse, Specular, Subsurface, etc instead of Base Color, Gloss, Translucency, etc. instead of Base Color Specular, etc (the latter are actuallly the correct terms, I don't know why it's called different in iray shader).
Don't remove all textures in LIE, just the upper layer/s, not the last layer. The last layer is the base texture, lipstick/make-up is usually added above the base texture. If there is no layer above the base texture, then it's not an LIE preset.
View attachment 528339
Hey thanks a lot for the explanation. Best way for me to learn. I really appreciate it.

But I would have another question: how can I reload JUST the skin/material of genesis 8 on my genesis 8 character:

-by replacing the layer in the LIE panel? (didn't manage to find out how to do that after trying)

-by manually transferring skin info from one character to another in the scene itself?

-or is there an easier/more intuitive way of doing it, by selecting just the skin from the genesis character in my smartcontent panel and simply loading it on the character?

When I google keywords trying to look for an answer I only get offers for additional features for daz 3D, or forum answers that aren't relevant to this (I imagine) relatively simple issue: go back to your original genesis 8 skin/material info.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Hey thanks a lot for the explanation. Best way for me to learn. I really appreciate it.

But I would have another question: how can I reload JUST the skin/material of genesis 8 on my genesis 8 character:

-by replacing the layer in the LIE panel? (didn't manage to find out how to do that after trying)

-by manually transferring skin info from one character to another in the scene itself?

-or is there an easier/more intuitive way of doing it, by selecting just the skin from the genesis character in my smartcontent panel and simply loading it on the character?

When I google keywords trying to look for an answer I only get offers for additional features for daz 3D, or forum answers that aren't relevant to this (I imagine) relatively simple issue: go back to your original genesis 8 skin/material info.
You can save only the character's "material" (Save As > Material Preset); to apply it later, simply select your character in the Scene Tab and make a "merge" with the material file.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018

You could have a look in the materials section of your smart content, maybe the char you want has a material preset you can load with a double click.
If not, I would simply load the original figure and copy the whole skin over (select the original character, in the surface tab right click on the the char, copy surface -> select your char, right click on it in surface tab -> paste surface)

Manifold

Jan 14, 2018
You could have a look in the materials section of your smart content, maybe the char you want has a material preset you can load with a double click.
If not, I would simply load the original figure and copy the whole skin over (select the original character, in the surface tab right click on the the char, copy surface -> select your char, right click on it in surface tab -> paste surface)
As always, you're my hero dude. You just made me discover a basic feature of the software I've never seen in tutorials. Thanks!

Reactions: recreation