Blender How u guys/girls pose characters and use them for scenes?

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
So I downloaded few characters online for free and when I want to pose them and use them for scene usually its many steps for that. First I make pose with rigify, then I need to apply visual geometry to mesh because if i dont, my pose wont show in rendered image. Then I copy them to another blend file where is scene. Usually I cant copy them immediatly to scene without applying visual geometry to mesh, because I cant scale them property, and move them without fking up the character. How usually is done that thing in blender, maybe I am doing it on harder way?

PaperDevil

Jan 6, 2020
You shouldn't have to apply anything for a character to render, or for their pose to render. If you can see the pose in editor then it should be visible in render as well. Modifiers will also appear in render without having to apply them as long as you have them configured correctly.

Any screenshots for us to look at? Maybe a screenshot of your character in editor, and then a render for comparison. That would be very helpful. If you're on windows then you can use "snipping tool" to create screenshots to show the problem you're having.

A video would be even better.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Usually I cant copy them immediatly to scene without applying visual geometry to mesh, because I cant scale them property, and move them without fking up the character.
if I understand correctly, you are talking about the process of making sure that every object has 'all transforms applied' to ensure that when importing a pose, it imports correctly? If you're having issues with poses, make sure that you do apply all transforms (sometimes location may be excluded). I also find that for child objects of rigs, where the rig has been transformed, even if you apply all, it secretly isn't applied, and you have to unparent object from the rig, select 'keep transform', then apply all transforms, before reattaching to the rig.

saaasassaas

Jul 9, 2023
You shouldn't have to apply anything for a character to render, or for their pose to render. If you can see the pose in editor then it should be visible in render as well. Modifiers will also appear in render without having to apply them as long as you have them configured correctly.

Any screenshots for us to look at? Maybe a screenshot of your character in editor, and then a render for comparison. That would be very helpful. If you're on windows then you can use "snipping tool" to create screenshots to show the problem you're having.

Hello, sorry for late answer. So I realised now that actually I dont need to apply visual geometry to mesh. But I need to insert keyframe to that rigify so that object stays in that pose for render which is easier than applying visual geometry to mesh. But some other characters I cant scale them properly without fking up the object, some characters I can scale without any problems, idk why( tried to unlock lock the scaling, didnt work). Also eyes of some characters look normal in preview and not normal in render, idk why again. But I didnt have problem with eyes when I apply visual geometry to mesh.