HS/HS2/Koikatsu Game Assets Copyright and Legal problems.

Aninass

Aug 31, 2020
Hi guys. I am trying to make an Adult Visual Novel with HS2. I have worked with Renpy before (for someone else), and I have also worked in StudioNeo, I can pose pretty well and make great scenes. I also have a story that I have permission to use in my AVN. Now the only problem is the 3D assets and resources. Where do I get those, and those who make these renders using HS/HS2/Koikatsu, where do they get their assets from? Do they make their own assets or do they have permission to use the assets from these games and the thousands of mods that are there? Also, can the modded stuff be used in my AVN? Like the modded accessories, maps, props, and clothes by the people in the community?

I intend to make a bit of money out of this AVN, so what are the copyright and legal problems will I face if I use these resources? If I can't use them, how do I make them on my own?

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
Far from an expert but I've seen this question enough to know a little.

You can do pretty much anything you want with the mods for Illusion games. Never heard of anyone complaining.

The problem you will have is Illusion themselves. They claim to have rights to anything made with their content and will not allow it to be sold commercially. If you want to sell your game on Steam or other sites in a similar way then you need to avoid them altogether. However if you are interested in just doing the "donation" route you'll be fine. They don't seem to have an issue with the games if they are on Patreon or SubscribeStar. Itch seems to be fine too especially if it's listed as free.

If you pay attention there are dozens of games on here in HS2 using the same mods with the same payment model. I'd recommend getting the latest BetterRepack directly from ScrewThisNoise and using what you want from the many mods already there. Of course you should be making your own characters. As far as selling it from there just follow all the existing devs lead and you'll be fine.

Aninass

Aug 31, 2020
Far from an expert but I've seen this question enough to know a little.

You can do pretty much anything you want with the mods for Illusion games. Never heard of anyone complaining.

The problem you will have is Illusion themselves. They claim to have rights to anything made with their content and will not allow it to be sold commercially. If you want to sell your game on Steam or other sites in a similar way then you need to avoid them altogether. However if you are interested in just doing the "donation" route you'll be fine. They don't seem to have an issue with the games if they are on Patreon or SubscribeStar. Itch seems to be fine too especially if it's listed as free.

If you pay attention there are dozens of games on here in HS2 using the same mods with the same payment model. I'd recommend getting the latest BetterRepack directly from ScrewThisNoise and using what you want from the many mods already there. Of course you should be making your own characters. As far as selling it from there just follow all the existing devs lead and you'll be fine.
I don't plan to sell it on Steam, I want to make it free for all intents and purposes. I want it to have a page in itch.io, and maybe a Patreon if I manage to work out a periodic workflow. And although I have seen many people use those same map resources, won't the mod authors complain if I use their work?

Tar77

Aug 23, 2019
I don't plan to sell it on Steam, I want to make it free for all intents and purposes. I want it to have a page in itch.io, and maybe a Patreon if I manage to work out a periodic workflow. And although I have seen many people use those same map resources, won't the mod authors complain if I use their work?
Again I've never seen any of them say they don't want their mods used. In fact there are quite a few that openly say they can be used for whatever. One thing about these mods is that the modders didn't actually make a lot of them. Many of the maps ect are assets ripped from other games and ported into HS2 ect.

Aninass

Aug 31, 2020
Again I've never seen any of them say they don't want their mods used. In fact there are quite a few that openly say they can be used for whatever. One thing about these mods is that the modders didn't actually make a lot of them. Many of the maps ect are assets ripped from other games and ported into HS2 ect.
Ok, thank you. I made a lot of scenes from those assets, but was afraid that I wouldn't be able to use them. Thanks for clarifying.