VN - Ren'Py - Hybridia [v0.3.28] [Black Hood Games]

1. 1.00 star(s)

S1nsational

The story for this game could be interesting but it's hard to care with how bad the writing is.

The dialog is horrible and incredibly flat. Most people are just making awkward statements, they're not talking. The terrible English just makes matters worse, and you can tell that it's not just a translation issues, the English is terrible but it's not what's making the writing bad.

The main character is very annoying, next to impossible to enjoy playing and inhabiting. Arrogant and hostile from the very start, closed minded shortly thereafter. Even if the author isn't American, the reincarnated solider just gives off very unpleasant 'Merican Soilder vibes.

The first harem girl having both the name and appearance of a well known mainstream game character, makes the game feel like it's going to rapidly devolve in parody in the worst meaning of the term.

The rushed sex / "romance". The first sex scene with the above mentioned harem girl is impressive in both how stupidly fast it is and how incredibly boring it is. Yes we have a magic seduction aura,but it supposedly required genuine connection to have any great effect, and yea we saved her, but overall the jumping into sex felt very flat and cheap. Doesn't make one have great hope for how the relationships would evolve going forward. How can one expect well written romance from someone who can barely write normal human interactions?

Animations;
    there are animations in combat, which can be easily missed by clicking and thus making you miss important scenes causing you to go back and wait for the slow scene to start and then play. The combat isn't horrible, but is still pretty bad.
    There are also animations for sex scenes, those scenes would be far better off as static images you click though, the animations are awkward and little more than short gifs before being finished. Sex scenes are nearly "blink and you miss it", and I would nearly argue that you'd be luckier if you did.

The models for the characters are techincally ok, the face for Aphrodite looks kinda weird. Most other characters look very generic, with the exception of the harem girl would is a straight copy and paste of a premade clone.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Jimbog

Version Reviewed 0.3.28
    This is now in my top 30 games/vn. The overall package is very enjoyable, the renders are decent and the english is good. There is room for improvement in the animations and renders but like I said before the overall package is good and well worth downloading.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

TheimmortalP

The demo has a lot of issues, but it's promising! Keep working at it, and you could end up with a decent project.

My advice is to rewrite the MC. The fact that most of his dialogue is him complaining is pretty frustrating. I liked everyone else that he interacted with though, which is why I say that this is promising.

Also maybe practice your art, and redo the sex scene with Tifa, because her face looked kinda bizarre, and so did the MC's dick.

I wish you well, and again I hope that you keep working on this and get better.
  4. 2.00 star(s)

hyperjack38

The setting and premise are very interesting. Not much of a story to comment of right now. The renders are decent but not great. Sometimes the renders are very weird though (like tifa's face in some scenes and the MC's dick). But that stuff can be worked upon. The sandbox elements kinda felt extremely useless cause there isn't much in the game at the moment. Maybe they get better in future updates but it rarely happens that sandbox elements in a renpy game are actually good. What i absolutely hated were the animations. They are horrendous and extremely useless and the game would be much better without them.
  5. 3.00 star(s)

Logan1377

As the dev says, this is just a brief demo. Its a very quick play, and only took me about 15 minutes.

The good is that the game seems to have a really solid base, is setup to have a lot more content, and has good renders/graphics so far. Absolutely looking for more when its ready.

What I didn't like is that the MC is a rude asshole and really doesn't need to be. His personality was a real turn off, and I hope that it gets better as it goes. Maybe he's humbled.