Daz I am wondering how these skin imperfections are added. I would guess these are skin texture decals in Daz3d. (cellulite/stretchmarks/etc)

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
I am wondering how these skin imperfections are added. I would guess these are skin texture decals in Daz3d. But the only decals I've seen texture packs for are things like acne, freckles, wounds. These more subtle skin imperfections I haven't seen any asset packs for on the store. Does anyone know where they come from? What asset packs? Or is each artist custom generating these on their own outside daz? Below are the examples of the subtle skin imperfections I'd love to know how to add to daz renders because I really like the possibilities they offer in terms of realism (just like things like freckles do, but well, freckle packs are already simple and easy to find).

Example 1 of the cellulite that I'm curious how it is made:

cellulite imperfections on butt Untitled.png

Knees I'm curious about (this is a knee texture right? not a morph?):

maybe it is just a texture it does look a little 2dimensional Untitled.png

Another skin imperfection I am curious about:

marks on breasts Untitled.png [

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Those are morphs. You can do ass cellulite with Glutes Utilities for Genesis 8 Female(s). Knee detail morphs are part of Shape Shift for Genesis 8 Female(s). There are other products that also have these but these are the popular ones.

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Those are morphs. You can do ass cellulite with Glutes Utilities for Genesis 8 Female(s). Knee detail morphs are part of Shape Shift for Genesis 8 Female(s). There are other products that also have these but these are the popular ones.
Thanks this reply was exactly what I wanted :)

And Stretch Marks can be added/made in Skinbuilder, in addition to moles and agespots
Good tip, I hadn't even heard of skin builder before. I usually had been searching for the keyword of what I wanted. And searches for things like wounds and freckles were hitting things and searches for cellulite or stretch marks weren't, but I guess I should been searching for skin and skimming the many results.

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
I don't fully understand it, but yeah, the one on the left just looks so fake and plastic compared to the one on the right. At least to me. Obviously flawless skin is prettier, but 100% flawless skin just looks fake to me.

zger

Sep 6, 2017
Would you mind sharing which model the normal maps included on the right came from?
Not 100% sure but i think thats Ophelia 7. Also any older model should include something like this. For sample Alexandra 8.

Reactions: Dilly_

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Not 100% sure but i think thats Ophelia 7. Also any older model should include something like this. For sample Alexandra 8.
Thanks, I just did a brief test on one of my milfy characters and things are already looking better.

Here is my character with Ella HD skin (converted to PBR) with no normal maps and no HD morph:
ass2.png

And here is the same character, but with normal maps from Alexandra 8 and the Alexandra HD body morph:

ass1.png

IMO, it's an improvement for sure. It is of course a matter of personal taste as to whether you like the ultra-smooth but non-realistic look, or the more realistic look. I'm also not sure if I like how all of the folds look, but that's just a matter of experimenting with different normal maps/HD morphs to find something I like. Anyway, good thread, thanks for your help.

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Now that I know where to find things like this... (specifically the normal maps on alexandra 8) I'm wondering what's a good way to search for them, if anything, the only detail in the product store page that hints that such a feature exists is this:

• Normal Map On/Off Presets

Of course you can see the effect in the artwork previewing her but it's subtle and none of the preview images highlight it and I wouldn't've necessarily spotted the effect if I wasn't already looking for it. Neither of which helps me think of a way to search the store for other figures with similar effects :(

I've seen some wrinkled figure store assets that say something about a bump map strength option, which is probably somewhat similar, but for wrinkles around eyes. Like for example with "kylie for alexandra". Kylie only has wrinkles around her eyes though, from what I can tell the rest of the figure is perfectly smooth.

The reason I ask is because it'd be nice to compare these normal's on alexandra to other figures with similar features, especially newer ones (as alexandra is a few years old now, the store asset, not the fictional character's age that is.)

The only official new candidate I can find with interesting skin alterations is brooke 8.1 but her unique shape likely means that her normals if they can be transferred wouldn't look right, so maybe alexandra is still the only option. I'd love to hear about other figures with subtle but noticeable skin imperfections that are quite realistic like alexandra's. It seems odd that this isn't a more popular thing for the store to promote.

A lot of figures are somewhat similar, I don't really need daz to sell me on new body and head shapes because I have morphs to make whatever I want, but skin details? Those are a lot more unique. I guess most of the daz figures have subtle effects on their normal maps, but they're SO subtle I don't even notice them, whereas this "aged" look on alexandra is actually something you can notice.

edit: Deepsea Genesis 8.1 Female Texture Merchant Resource has some interesting moles, and just "leaked".

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilly_

Feb 3, 2020
Just want to add that if the character is Daz HD then the you likely won't need the normal map because the vendor probably created the normal map based on the HD sculpt which is why some HD characters don't even load normal map as defulat. Not loading the normal map and use the HD version in subD4 use a bit more video memory but will speed up rendering time by a lot.

Evic

May 25, 2018
Couple of other things to keep in mind-

If you are using an HD model, don't forget to bump up the Render SubD level (minimum) in the mesh resolution setting for the figure. Daz will auto adjust based on camera distance but sometimes it it needs a kick in the ass to use the right level.

You can mess with the strength of the normal maps right inside Daz under the surface properties. If you find a normal map you like but want it to be less extreme you can do that easily. Alexandra 8 at 0.5 normal map strength will work for people you don't want looking too old for example. You'll have to turn off the limits for the normal map under its parameter settings if you want them to be a bit stronger otherwise it limits it to a maximum of 1.0.

zger

Sep 6, 2017
Now that I know where to find things like this... (specifically the normal maps on alexandra 8) I'm wondering what's a good way to search for them, if anything, the only detail in the product store page that hints that such a feature exists is this:

• Normal Map On/Off Presets

Of course you can see the effect in the artwork previewing her but it's subtle and none of the preview images highlight it and I wouldn't've necessarily spotted the effect if I wasn't already looking for it. Neither of which helps me think of a way to search the store for other figures with similar effects :(

I've seen some wrinkled figure store assets that say something about a bump map strength option, which is probably somewhat similar, but for wrinkles around eyes. Like for example with "kylie for alexandra". Kylie only has wrinkles around her eyes though, from what I can tell the rest of the figure is perfectly smooth.

The reason I ask is because it'd be nice to compare these normal's on alexandra to other figures with similar features, especially newer ones (as alexandra is a few years old now, the store asset, not the fictional character's age that is.)

The only official new candidate I can find with interesting skin alterations is brooke 8.1 but her unique shape likely means that her normals if they can be transferred wouldn't look right, so maybe alexandra is still the only option. I'd love to hear about other figures with subtle but noticeable skin imperfections that are quite realistic like alexandra's. It seems odd that this isn't a more popular thing for the store to promote.

A lot of figures are somewhat similar, I don't really need daz to sell me on new body and head shapes because I have morphs to make whatever I want, but skin details? Those are a lot more unique. I guess most of the daz figures have subtle effects on their normal maps, but they're SO subtle I don't even notice them, whereas this "aged" look on alexandra is actually something you can notice.

edit: Deepsea Genesis 8.1 Female Texture Merchant Resource has some interesting moles, and just "leaked".
Sorry for late response but yeah i agree with u. Most of model "artists and creators" reusing same skin textures over and over again. They dont make these themselves just using merchant resources + some merchant resource morphs to make it look a bit different and sell that shit. And i guess thats working. Iv noticed some artist/model creator SASE doesnt even try. All of his models looks same and idk i think ppl still buy it. From my exp only good unique models and stuff like normal maps comes from bundles like Alexandra and other official stuff.

Aug 18, 2017
Couple of other things to keep in mind-

If you are using an HD model, don't forget to bump up the Render SubD level (minimum) in the mesh resolution setting for the figure. Daz will auto adjust based on camera distance but sometimes it it needs a kick in the ass to use the right level.

You can mess with the strength of the normal maps right inside Daz under the surface properties. If you find a normal map you like but want it to be less extreme you can do that easily. Alexandra 8 at 0.5 normal map strength will work for people you don't want looking too old for example. You'll have to turn off the limits for the normal map under its parameter settings if you want them to be a bit stronger otherwise it limits it to a maximum of 1.0.
thx for info.

So I take it the Alexandra normal map can be applied to any 3D figure and adjust the strength setting as needed?

Evic

May 25, 2018
Yes, you can add the normal map from any figure to any other figure with the same UV set very easily. I use Alexandra 8, Bambina 8 and a few others quite often. With any of the official character, just navigate to their product folder in your library and look for the "Iray Nomal Map On" icon and double click it. Some vendors pack them into the "all maps" duf file but any of the official Daz characters don't.

You can also mix and match bump maps and specular maps but it's not quite as easy, nor do they have the visual impact that the normal maps (except when very close) do so I usually don't bother and just use whatever came with the base skin I'm using.

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Yes, you can add the normal map from any figure to any other figure with the same UV set very easily. I use Alexandra 8, Bambina 8 and a few others quite often. With any of the official character, just navigate to their product folder in your library and look for the "Iray Nomal Map On" icon and double click it. Some vendors pack them into the "all maps" duf file but any of the official Daz characters don't.

You can also mix and match bump maps and specular maps but it's not quite as easy, nor do they have the visual impact that the normal maps (except when very close) do so I usually don't bother and just use whatever came with the base skin I'm using.
Nice tip on the babina, she looks super generic and out of date at first glance but she does have unique knees. Probably other details too. The daz3d store really does a bad job of showcasing these normal map features and indicating which models have the most unique ones. I guess if I'm just pirating content I can study something endlessly to find out if it has any interesting skin details I might want to use. I pity people who are actually trying to use the store and end up buying a dozen almost identical girls when they only need 1or2 and a bit of patience.

Evic

May 25, 2018
Nice tip on the babina, she looks super generic and out of date at first glance but she does have unique knees. Probably other details too.
I use Bambina's skin a lot, nice details (although the bump map is a bit too strong IMO) and one of the best subtle tanline skins out there. Another really good one is CJ 8 for toned chics since she has some decent vein and muscle details in her normal map. If you want alternatives to Alexandra for older models you have Sydney 8 (too wrinkled for me in most cases) and Angharad 8 (much more subtle than Alexandra).

The daz3d store really does a bad job of showcasing these normal map features and indicating which models have the most unique ones. I guess if I'm just pirating content I can study something endlessly to find out if it has any interesting skin details I might want to use. I pity people who are actually trying to use the store and end up buying a dozen almost identical girls when they only need 1or2 and a bit of patience.
It doesn't help that some sellers do really good renders and others, not so much. I've grabbed a few that had unimpressive previews but ended up being really good skins or having morphs that I used a lot of. And yeah, I spent plenty at the store before coming to the dark side :)