I have a question

cannonballrun

Apr 28, 2018
If you're not a new member on the site, you already saw the numerous ads and other popup's showing some ladies and lads earning an honest living by playing some goofy ass scenarios but my point is not that i don't like the ads on the website they have to make a way to earn of course, no there's a type of ad that catched my eye since it was diplayed.

It's the ad games, i think you already saw a pale carnation or an eternum ad here in the forums, and i thought to myself.

Who make and pay for those ads ? the developper ? the admins ? or they hired someone to do the job ?
did the site and the developpers gets cash in return or it's just for the visibility ?

I don't know my postnut clarity made me thought about it

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It's the ad games, i think you already saw a pale carnation or an eternum ad here in the forums, and i thought to myself.
Are you sure that you do not confuse with the "promoted games" banner displayed by the forum itself ?

Reactions: cannonballrun

cannonballrun

Apr 28, 2018
oooh ok my bad i didn't thought about it yes so there's two kind of ad for the games here the promoted games and the signature banners is that right ?

Is there also some special requirements for a game to be promoted by the site ?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Is there also some special requirements for a game to be promoted by the site ?
Being a game that the staff and moderators like. It's a bit more complex than that, but globally it's:
- [moderator 1] Hey, I like this game.
- [moderator 2] Oh, yeah, me too.
- [staff member] Ok, we will promote it next time we change the banner.

Reactions: DavyCroquette

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
It's a shit system that has been consistently terribly implemented. If they're not going to improve it I wish they just stopped doing it altogether. How are you promoting "underrated games" when it's just the staff circlejerking about their favorite games and the requirement is having less than 750 patrons. Lots of successful games have half that number.

The concept of a panel of people picking up-and-coming or "underrated" games to spotlight is nice in theory, but the way it works now is a joke. I'm sorry, but if you're making over 1k or even over 2k on Patreon a month (like multiple current picks do) you're not some cute little indie game that needs more exposure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
It's a shit system that has been consistently terribly implemented. If they're not going to improve it I wish they just stopped doing it altogether. How are you promoting "underrated games" when it's just the staff circlejerking about their favorite games and the requirement is having less than 750 patrons. Lots of successful games have half that number.

The concept of a panel of people picking up-and-coming or "underrated" games to spotlight is nice in theory, but the way it works now is a joke. I'm sorry, but if you're making over 1k or even over 2k on Patreon a month (like multiple current picks do) you're not some cute little indie game that needs more exposure.
Yeah, I was wondering how any of the current games could be considered "underrated" when they're all fairly popular. Then I noticed this little gem in the prerequisites.

The developer must be active in the F95zone community
It's not that the games are underrated. It's that the devs are active on F95 and the staff like them, so their game gets propped up.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
It's not that the games are underrated. It's that the devs are active on F95 and the staff like them, so their game gets propped up.
I'm fine with some - idk what you'd call it - not quite nepotism, but it's clearly trying to promote the idea of devs being on F95 and stuff, whatever, it's fine if F95 also gets something out of the deal, but, Jesus Christ, at least actually pick legitimately small games that could use a boost.

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
Another question, does the site even have ads anymore?

I could have sworn they used to but I've been using adblock for so long. After what happened with Zippyshare recently, I whitelisted F95 but still haven't seen any ads. Whats up with that?

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
You probably haven't whitelisted the website...
View attachment 2544015
Nah, I def did and I also double checked all of my extensions. Even tried disabling everything. I did receive one small ad in the side bar which I always collapse, but no banner ads like what you showed.

Meh. I assume that maybe I disabled javascript or something else related to privacy. Not willing to re-enable those lol.

Edit: Nvm. I re-enabled all of my extensions and it logged me out. During that time, a banner ad did appear. So whatever. Good enough.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020

I don't think 1000 a month should be a cutoff at all, that barely pays for rent and heating here and all that ignores things like Daz assets or art commissions. Even 2000 a m is in "I hope you have a paying job" range, but I guess it could work as a cutoff.

Here's an overview of what the games in the slider make:

Alvein - Yni
€587

Night Driver - Black Toad
€439

Goblin Layer - Parodos
€1.579

Depravity - Dante
€1.045

Grandma's House - Moonbox
733 patrons, most popular level is € 5,50, let's say a minimal estimate of € 2935 and a higher estimate of € 3665 (likely before tax rates and Patreon's rate)

After the Inferno - Classy Lemon
€1.676

Price of Power - Pandaman
€792

Oppai Odyssey - Cryoxx
652 patrons, most popular level is € 5,50, let's say a minimal estimate of € 2610 and a higher estimate of € 3260 (likely before tax rates and Patreon's rate)

Divimera - Redikal
€2.665

Color of my Sound - Gallant Trombe
€557

Zeno's Anthology - Chemical Fire
€432

Parasite Black - Damned Studios
€1.890

So that's 5 under 1000, 1 around 1000, 2 around 1500 and 3 (likely) over 2000. Doesn't really look that bad.

fitgirlbestgirl

Jul 27, 2017
I don't think 1000 a month should be a cutoff at all, that barely pays for rent and heating here and all that ignores things like Daz assets or art commissions. Even 2000 a m is in "I hope you have a paying job" range, but I guess it could work as a cutoff.
Discussions like this are kind of pointless, because certain amounts of money pay for a lot or a little depending on where you live. But yes, I was drunk and mad and overstated the problem. I do still think it's ridiculous to promote "underrated" games that make €1.5k+ a month. I just imagine all the game devs with like a ~$100 to ~$500 Patreon going "oh, yeah, sure, those guys deserved it more."