I learned to make several characters. How far is it from making games?

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
I want to make a story about a model company and an art school. What else do I learn? I really want to make a game like the Secret game.Of course, I hope he can continue to update.

Deleted member 440241

Feb 14, 2018
Writing is obviously necessary for making a story. No matter how good you think your grammar is, writing a story is a completely different beast from commenting online. And you should know something about what it's like to work at a modelling company and/or attend an art school. I'm sure there's biographies you can read for research if you don't have first hand experience. This will help you establish a realistic and believable setting.

You also need to work on your modelling skills. Your characters are very shiny like they're coating in oil. There are 2 (far left and blue hair on the right) with their heads tilted at inhuman angles. A problem that seems to exist at least partially because you're making necks too long, which can also be seen with the cheerleader on the far right. Their poses will need work as setting things up for aesthetically pleasing renders is a little more complicated than lining everyone up. Think of it as making a stop motion movie with CGI dolls. You need good camera angles.

Reactions: watermankaku

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
Writing is obviously necessary for making a story. No matter how good you think your grammar is, writing a story is a completely different beast from commenting online. And you should know something about what it's like to work at a modelling company and/or attend an art school. I'm sure there's biographies you can read for research if you don't have first hand experience. This will help you establish a realistic and believable setting.

You also need to work on your modelling skills. Your characters are very shiny like they're coating in oil. There are 2 (far left and blue hair on the right) with their heads tilted at inhuman angles. A problem that seems to exist at least partially because you're making necks too long, which can also be seen with the cheerleader on the far right. Their poses will need work as setting things up for aesthetically pleasing renders is a little more complicated than lining everyone up. Think of it as making a stop motion movie with CGI dolls. You need good camera angles.
Thank you for your reply. My computer can only render one character after another, but can't render the scene at the same time, so I get very strange results hahaha.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
And you should know something about what it's like to work at a modelling company and/or attend an art school. I'm sure there's biographies you can read for research if you don't have first hand experience. This will help you establish a realistic and believable setting.
You also need to work on your modelling skills. Your characters are very shiny like they're coating in oil.
You bring up a lot of solid points, and short of lighting, you basically mentioned everything I would at a beginner level. The above two stood out, though.

I worked as an editor with younger/new writers for a few years, and out would often recommend them go sit down and watch a class or look into tailing/following someone for a day or two. Usually this was in regard to law/court-related content, or even PI/detective type stuff. Most schools and agencies, as long as you don't mention their names (unless they specifically want to be credited), often don't mind an author sitting in on a few classes as long they don't get in the way/disrupt the flow of work. Now, that's a bit of work for a VN that'll likely never see the light of day, but it's what I'd recommend to anyone serious about writing about a specific field or industry. Documentaries/Biographies often gloss over the smallest parts of a field, which are typically the most important parts of creating a sense of realism. And even then, only those who work in the industry are going to appreciate the attention to detail in an industry's intricacies.

As for the shininess, I believe that roots more in the type of lighting being used in the image in question. It looks like it's likely just the base dome/HDRI that comes with Daz when you first start up Iray Preview in an outdoor scene. Which seems to be enforced by the light source coming from the same general direction.

As for watermankaku: While lighting clearly needs work here, I'd say learning the basics of the program/medium/UI should come before anything else. Then you should look into basic posing, asymmetry, eye direction/contact. Then work into framing, camera angles/techniques (dutch, etc.), and then lighting. You're ways away from making a public VN that won't get hammered down by any audience.

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
You bring up a lot of solid points, and short of lighting, you basically mentioned everything I would at a beginner level. The above two stood out, though.

I worked as an editor with younger/new writers for a few years, and out would often recommend them go sit down and watch a class or look into tailing/following someone for a day or two. Usually this was in regard to law/court-related content, or even PI/detective type stuff. Most schools and agencies, as long as you don't mention their names (unless they specifically want to be credited), often don't mind an author sitting in on a few classes as long they don't get in the way/disrupt the flow of work. Now, that's a bit of work for a VN that'll likely never see the light of day, but it's what I'd recommend to anyone serious about writing about a specific field or industry. Documentaries/Biographies often gloss over the smallest parts of a field, which are typically the most important parts of creating a sense of realism. And even then, only those who work in the industry are going to appreciate the attention to detail in an industry's intricacies.

As for the shininess, I believe that roots more in the type of lighting being used in the image in question. It looks like it's likely just the base dome/HDRI that comes with Daz when you first start up Iray Preview in an outdoor scene. Which seems to be enforced by the light source coming from the same general direction.

As for watermankaku: While lighting clearly needs work here, I'd say learning the basics of the program/medium/UI should come before anything else. Then you should look into basic posing, asymmetry, eye direction/contact. Then work into framing, camera angles/techniques (dutch, etc.), and then lighting. You're ways away from making a public VN that won't get hammered down by any audience.
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for more rendering presets. I like the latest version of The Secret: Reloaded ui very much, but when I began to learn how to make renpy, I found that it was not completely easy.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
There are 2 (far left and blue hair on the right) with their heads tilted at inhuman angles.
It's human angles, but not natural ones. One can bend his head to this angle, and some further, but none would do it unless the circumstance need it.

But the main problems are the skins, and the models themselves.

The skins first, that are all different, not in their tone (this is normal), but in the way they look. He should use the surfaces panel to make them more uniform ; or use a skin shader. Not all skins will react to light in the exact the same way, but they should react like skin, not like some other surface (generally plastic). Also the girl in blue dress at the left of the MC don't have a healthy skin ; she's not pale, she's a walking corpse.

As for the models, they are purely out of the box. We've seen them all in dozen of games. And I really mean dozen. The MC is the actual preference on the scene. Monique 8 is the mandatory black girl since years, while the girl in the yellow pant, and the one in the white dress at her right, are the usual mothers.
Even if the default sliders are limited, they already are enough to make the models different from the default sculpture. It's not something to difficult to do, yet it would be a big improvement. And please, don't use the default hair used to present the model, half creators do this, it make the models looks even more the sames. Just using a different hair asset would already break the lookalike effect.

Reactions: watermankaku

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
No, please no. Not another "black-girl-with-Tempest-hair"!

1656923319648.png

As for more constructive criticism: start with a small project. A tiny one. A short story with a few scenes. See if you like it, if you're having fun. If you do, go for a slightly bigger one, again, nothing huge, just something you can control. Find your taste, find your fans. For the first project or two it's good to have a good vision of how it ends before you begin it.

I wish you a lot of patience and good luck!

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
No, please no. Not another "black-girl-with-Tempest-hair"!
I feel personally attacked. :cautious:

But really, though. I think more of the blame goes (or should, at least) toward Daz for the lack of 'black hair' as far as women goes. Black hair is ridiculously hard to make well (and even Tempest Hair isn't very well done. Just one of the better options in a bad pool, so to speak.), which is why you don't see it much. Wish sold on Daz more, if only for the exposure. Aside from AprilYSH and his/her attempts at black hair, he's really filling a gaping hole (giggity) as far as black hair/clothes go.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
I feel personally attacked. :cautious:

But really, though. I think more of the blame goes (or should, at least) toward Daz for the lack of 'black hair' as far as women goes. Black hair is ridiculously hard to make well (and even Tempest Hair isn't very well done. Just one of the better options in a bad pool, so to speak.), which is why you don't see it much. Wish sold on Daz more, if only for the exposure. Aside from AprilYSH and his/her attempts at black hair, he's really filling a gaping hole (giggity) as far as black hair/clothes go.
Don't get me wrong: "black-girls-with-Tempest-hair" are insanely hot, just vastly overused in my opinion.

Reactions: MissFortune