I want to create an erotic VN. RPGmaker or something else?

fyreant

Jun 19, 2022
So, after a fair few years writing erotica on various sites, I've decided I want to create an erogame for a specific concept I can't get out of my head.

What I have in mind is a pretty unambitious and linear visual novel, with no particular "gameplay", no combat/boss fights/whatever and interactivity basically limited to which girls the player chooses to interact with in a limited number of 'days', with the main factor in determining the ending being which girls are chosen in the limited number of slots, and how many times each one is "interacted" with, to give some minimum replayability. And the particular combination of girls chosen is what leads to either a "Good", "Bad" or "Neutral" ending. I'm envisioning a very short experience, a couple hours or less.

I have absolutely zero ability to draw or make 3d models, and no interest in spending months or years learning to do it. I'm just gonna commission artists to do 2D work. I envision needing about 15 character portraits (5 waifus, a main character, and one or maybe two 'special' girls who feature in endings, with 2 or 3 standing portrait variations each), plus another 2 or 3 sex images for the 6 girls involved each. I also want to include a pregnant version for each girl, because That's My Fetish. So, looking at probably 30+ 2D images total, with backgrounds and minor characters being handled with AI art, and text (and maybe some stock sound effects) doing most of the heavy lifting in sex scenes.

I know that can get pricy quickly, but I can afford to spend a few hundred bucks on art. I'm less worried about having to spend money, than finding an artist who will actually be able to produce as much as I need, in a consistent artstyle, without flaking out partway through. Maybe I can recoup some of the expenses using a subscribestar but I have no ambitions of making a profit or even just breaking even, I'm fine ending up in the red when all is said and done.

My main question is - what to use, for somebody who has no game developing experience whatsoever? As I said before I don't have any more ambitious plans than basically picking from a menu of sex scenes and keeping track of which ones have been played to determine an ending. My first thought is that I should use RPGmaker for this, so that I can focus on the writing part with a minumum of worrying about the programming side.

But maybe I shouldn't even mess with that? I've heard about "Twine" - should I be looking into something like that instead? Or Ren'Py, which I... know really nothing about?

Any advice would be helpful. Obviously, I'm going to wait until I've got a lot of the writing and the 'game' side working before I start shelling out money to commision artwork.

Aromabish

Game Developer
Aug 4, 2017
So, after a fair few years writing erotica on various sites, I've decided I want to create an erogame for a specific concept I can't get out of my head.

What I have in mind is a pretty unambitious and linear visual novel, with no particular "gameplay", no combat/boss fights/whatever and interactivity basically limited to which girls the player chooses to interact with in a limited number of 'days', with the main factor in determining the ending being which girls are chosen in the limited number of slots, and how many times each one is "interacted" with, to give some minimum replayability. And the particular combination of girls chosen is what leads to either a "Good", "Bad" or "Neutral" ending. I'm envisioning a very short experience, a couple hours or less.

I have absolutely zero ability to draw or make 3d models, and no interest in spending months or years learning to do it. I'm just gonna commission artists to do 2D work. I envision needing about 15 character portraits (5 waifus, a main character, and one or maybe two 'special' girls who feature in endings, with 2 or 3 standing portrait variations each), plus another 2 or 3 sex images for the 6 girls involved each. I also want to include a pregnant version for each girl, because That's My Fetish. So, looking at probably 30+ 2D images total, with backgrounds and minor characters being handled with AI art, and text (and maybe some stock sound effects) doing most of the heavy lifting in sex scenes.

I know that can get pricy quickly, but I can afford to spend a few hundred bucks on art. I'm less worried about having to spend money, than finding an artist who will actually be able to produce as much as I need, in a consistent artstyle, without flaking out partway through. Maybe I can recoup some of the expenses using a subscribestar but I have no ambitions of making a profit or even just breaking even, I'm fine ending up in the red when all is said and done.

My main question is - what to use, for somebody who has no game developing experience whatsoever? As I said before I don't have any more ambitious plans than basically picking from a menu of sex scenes and keeping track of which ones have been played to determine an ending. My first thought is that I should use RPGmaker for this, so that I can focus on the writing part with a minumum of worrying about the programming side.

But maybe I shouldn't even mess with that? I've heard about "Twine" - should I be looking into something like that instead? Or Ren'Py, which I... know really nothing about?

Any advice would be helpful. Obviously, I'm going to wait until I've got a lot of the writing and the 'game' side working before I start shelling out money to commision artwork.
Twine - requires some knowledge in basic coding to make choices and some variable counting and etc. Offers no UI tools to make things work.
RPGM - offers UI elements to make a game without a single line of code. Doesn't require programming knowledge, but you'll have to watch some tutorials.
Ren'py - most used for VNs, as it is very simple for image gallery with some choices. Also could be used to create some interesting gameplay, but most devs using it for simple VNs. Requires programming knowledge only if you want something deeper than "click-read".

Reactions: TREXrg

x_309

Nov 15, 2020
Renpy. I've never used RPGMaker but for your purposes I think it'd take more time to set it up to do what you want than Renpy where you basically just start typing your script. Twine is very simple for text but I think you'd have to fool around with HTML and CSS to get VN-style layered images (e.g. a character on top of a background).