I wanted to do a game of the Mc in college but I don’t know if the college genre is overdone now

Mr. Mayhem

Apr 14, 2019
I want to do a game where the Mc is in college but I don’t know if people are tired of that because almost every game is when the Mc is in college. Should I look outside the box or just stick with the college theme?

DingoDeer

New World Paradise
Uploader
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 19, 2018
you can do it...
but depends how your game tell it story, college theme game can be boring IMO..
(maybe that's why school theme is more popular?)

Cokane0

Koikatu Harem Master
Game Developer
Mar 18, 2020
A good story is just that. Everything else is window dressing. Go for it m8!

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
People controlling elements like Fire, Water, Earth and Air is super overdone but it doesn't mean that Avatar: The Last Airbender is suddenly bad, do you get what I'm saying? If you do it good enough it will stop being just another overdone trope/cliché and it will turn into it's own (good) thing.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
It's not always about the theme itself, it's about what you bring to the theme that matters. A.O.A and College Kings are both college set games that debuted in the past few months and they both have already connected with people. If you think your story is worth telling then go for it.

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
Nothing's really new. Your characters have to be somewhere. Whether they're at school/college/university, at work, lounging around in the park or on an isolated island, or even on a newly discovered planet or a spaceship, it's all been done before.

For a visual novel, I think it's the story that matters more than the location. Same for a game really, go for playability rather than worrying too much about the location.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
it's been overdone since 20-30 years, but it never stopped people from making more. it's a solid setup. cliches become cliches because they work.

yes there are gonna be people complaining about it, but that's unavoidable no matter what you do. so might just as well do what you like.