I will used other image as my image of my VN

mechheiser29

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2022
I'll use someone else's image as my VN image because my system unity has failed and I can't buy right away, and I support "Embrace Piracy."

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
This is going to be truly epic levels of engrish, isn't it?
I'm more concerned by the epic level for the CGs, since his game already have a public 0.1 alpha.

Since he have 0 patron, and only 15 likes on the game thread opening, personally I would just put the game on hold until I can buy a new computer. There's strictly nothing to loose, and at least still a possibility to have a consistent game in the future.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I'm more concerned by the epic level for the CGs, since his game already have a public 0.1 alpha.

Since he have 0 patron, and only 15 likes on the game thread opening, personally I would just put the game on hold until I can buy a new computer. There's strictly nothing to loose, and at least still a possibility to have a consistent game in the future.

I don't see a problem with his game? the english in previews seems to be far above usual quality, images are fine for a card game, and there's even a common theme with the UI and the apparently(?) unrelated banner.

the engrish in UI though is on the level of OP. but the actual dialogue is very good. well okay, maybe not very good but it's okay.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I don't see a problem with his game? [...] images are fine for a card game, and there's even a common theme with the UI and the apparently(?) unrelated banner.
Because until now he was making the CGs himself.
The problem isn't the use of someone else CGs, but the lack of continuity with what already exist.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
Because until now he was making the CGs himself.
The problem isn't the use of someone else CGs, but the lack of continuity with what already exist.
but the 'borrowed' image he's talking about (as far as I can tell) seems perfectly in line with the preview pics. it even has the same palette, which we almost never see.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
but the 'borrowed' image he's talking about (as far as I can tell) seems perfectly in line with the preview pics. it even has the same palette, which we almost never see.
Well, I must be really tired, because I see no example of those images in the game thread, nor in this thread.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
If you're so worried about using someone else's image, why don't you just take a screenshot of your main screen as the banner for your game? or you can ask in your thread to any of your players if they can send it to you. Or you can take that image and edit it enough (in photoshop or gimp)so it doesn't look like the original, but I don't think that's an option for you.

I know what you're going through, I almost lose my PC a few weeks before my game's launch because the CPU fan cooler (a stock one) decided to fail on me. And getting another for an old-ass i7 930 CPU is almost like an impossible mission here on my third world shithole country. Take it slowly, make an announcement on your patreon and thread here, and wait until you have a new computer, or repair the one you had.

Oh, and I thought my engrish was bad... man you really need a spell checker. But focus on getting your computer back first.

mechheiser29

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2022
If you're so worried about using someone else's image, why don't you just take a screenshot of your main screen as the banner for your game? or you can ask in your thread to any of your players if they can send it to you. Or you can take that image and edit it enough (in photoshop or gimp)so it doesn't look like the original, but I don't think that's an option for you.

I know what you're going through, I almost lose my PC a few weeks before my game's launch because the CPU fan cooler (a stock one) decided to fail on me. And getting another for an old-ass i7 930 CPU is almost like an impossible mission here on my third world shithole country. Take it slowly, make an announcement on your patreon and thread here, and wait until you have a new computer, or repair the one you had.

Oh, and I thought my engrish was bad... man you really need a spell checker. But focus on getting your computer back first.
Which phrase in my English is incorrect?

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Check Nagozo 's post. Those were the ones I found. I have a similar problems since I'm not an english native speaker, but with the help of tools like grammarly (use the free version) I had less complains about my bad english in my game. It should be useful for you too.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Your UI needs some spell checking.
Yes but no. As he said on his game thread (too lazy to find back the exact comment) "Stike" and "Sheild" are correctly wrote because they are a word play... Yeah, I know.

Hmm, this one ?

Technically speaking it's not incorrect, but it's not correct either. Like your, "my system unity has failed", in OP by example. It's good enough to understand what you mean, but not good enough to be seen as effective English.
"which [one] of my English sentences is incorrect", and, "my computer is broken", would have been better English.

It's something frequent when you're not a native English speaker, you tend to translate too literally, and to do it accordingly to your native language structure. I know that, it's the main flaw in my English.

• Haha
Reactions: Nagozo

mechheiser29

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2022
Your UI needs some spell checking.

View attachment 2014533
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I've already corrected it in the next version.
I've previously mentioned that the thread's topic and the card's name contain wordplay, such as the wordplay SHEILD, which is a combination of the letters SHield and wEILD.

Sorry for not correcting the word on my UI.
I typed so quickly that my words are jumbled or missing letters.

mechheiser29

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2022
Yes but no. As he said on his game thread (too lazy to find back the exact comment) "Stike" and "Sheild" are correctly wrote because they are a word play... Yeah, I know.

Hmm, this one ?

Technically speaking it's not incorrect, but it's not correct either. Like your, "my system unity has failed", in OP by example. It's good enough to understand what you mean, but not good enough to be seen as effective English.
"which [one] of my English sentences is incorrect", and, "my computer is broken", would have been better English.

It's something frequent when you're not a native English speaker, you tend to translate too literally, and to do it accordingly to your native language structure. I know that, it's the main flaw in my English.
I thought my grammar was poor.

To begin with, I don't need to be a fluent English speaker to create a Visual Novel; as long as my reader understands what I'm saying, I'm OK.

I chose "my used system unit has failed" rather than "my computer is broken" because the only thing harmed is my system unit, not my entire computer, and I can still use my mouse, keyboard, monitor, and so on.

I'm fine with criticism; all I want is to better my English, which is a difficult language to master because it differs from what I learned in school and on the internet.

Reactions: woody554

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I thought my grammar was poor.
Mine is so poor that, every night, it's begging in the streets.

To begin with, I don't need to be a fluent English speaker to create a Visual Novel; as long as my reader understands what I'm saying, I'm OK.
While one should make a game by pleasure, he should do it for his players. Look at what Rafster said right above my previous comment. The better your English will be, the happier players will be ; what also mean that the more they'll be to enjoy your game.

I chose "my used system unit has failed" rather than "my computer is broken" because the only thing harmed is my system unit, not my entire computer, and I can still use my mouse, keyboard, monitor, and so on.
So... your computer is broken. This obviously don't mean that all parts of the said computer are broken, but that you can't use it anymore. And no, your system unit is not broken, but it don't broke as a whole. It's either the motherboard, the power unit, the CPU, the GPU, etc, but never the system unit itself.

It's exactly what I said, your sentences aren't incorrect, but they aren't correct either.

all I want is to better my English, which is a difficult language to master because it differs from what I learned in school and on the internet.
What you want is "to improve your English". Once again it's not incorrect, but also not correct.
And we are all facing the same problem, some more than others, since the majority here isn't a native speaker.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Quite a lot of ESL devs benefit from using .
Either as a standalone (copy pasting from renpy into the website), or using the .

mechheiser29

Game Developer
Mar 21, 2022
Mine is so poor that, every night, it's begging in the streets.

While one should make a game by pleasure, he should do it for his players. Look at what Rafster said right above my previous comment. The better your English will be, the happier players will be ; what also mean that the more they'll be to enjoy your game.

So... your computer is broken. This obviously don't mean that all parts of the said computer are broken, but that you can't use it anymore. And no, your system unit is not broken, but it don't broke as a whole. It's either the motherboard, the power unit, the CPU, the GPU, etc, but never the system unit itself.

It's exactly what I said, your sentences aren't incorrect, but they aren't correct either.

What you want is "to improve your English". Once again it's not incorrect, but also not correct.
And we are all facing the same problem, some more than others, since the majority here isn't a native speaker.
I understand you now.
Thank you for the tip.
I'm going to rewrite my dialogue on my Visual Novel as there's so much room for improvement.