I wonder how much nsfw games creators make money

bobsadino

Jul 22, 2019
did the supporters pay it monthly since using credit card it's automatic right?
i see wildlife dev make 68k per month
is this true?

obibobi

May 10, 2017
I think people here get caught up by how much people make. There are people on patreon doing a lot less making a lot more. That's not to say you shouldn't criticize devs who don't put the work in but even if they do make a lot that's no different than any successful product selling well.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
Some more than others obviously, there is a level where you can crank content as a one man in a shed operation an make good money, but most don't ever get that far, once you exceed that level and need to bring on other people and become a small company i can see profits drop, it's about economy of scale in a way, how much you have to make to sustain numbers of employees ect., a good person to ask would be Leonizer at LOP but i doubt that dude would give anyone the time of day.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I couldn't tell from the Patreon page how big the team is that's working on this game. $68500/month sounds like a lot of money but once you get past a team size of 4-5 people they could probably make more money with a "real job". It sounds like they're based in Berlin which is a relatively high cost of living area. If they were based somewhere like Poland or Russia then that would feel like a lot more money.

I do think there are some individuals and even some teams that have gotten successful enough with their adult games to entirely replace what they would make at a full time job but I think that's still the exception rather than the norm. Most of the pages I've seen are pulling in less than $5k per month which is not much money in a high cost of living country. I think most people are doing this as a side gig or a hobby, at least until they get to where there's enough money coming in to pay the bills.

Reactions: Sole

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Not this much once you pass the first 10% of them :

crewfalcons

Donor
May 17, 2017
Not this much once you pass the first 10% of them :
I've always said that or noted that games usually make you next to nothing and for new developers not to get their hopes up too high when you see what a Dark Cookie or Icstor makes on a monthly basis. For the most part, if you pull in $1000/$2000 a month ($12k/$24k a year before taxes) you're doing above average.

You kind of need to be a combination of good, lucky, picking the right genre/fetish for mass appeal, unique, and consistent to make it anywhere near the top. The hardest part is also sustaining that month after month (let alone coming up with follow games/projects that are successful).

That's not to discourage or dissuade people from making games or wanting to try, you just need to be realistic and know that it's going to be a lot of hard work to get good (and profit) at it.

Beastnation

Sep 2, 2019
What about taxes?
Lets say my patreon page says I'm earning $4000 how much will I get in my hand if I'm non-Us citizen

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What about taxes?
Lets say my patreon page says I'm earning $4000 how much will I get in my hand if I'm non-Us citizen
Depends on your country.
Patreon takes a cut regardless of where you live, and so does the payment processor.

Reactions: Beastnation

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Where can I find detailed info about this. I tried searching but didn't get much info.
It depends on the country.

But as an advice look at your countries small business tax information as well. Some (western) European countries stimulate starting your own business by excluding taxes up till a certain point. It might be beneficial to register your business as an indie game development business (you dont have to specify what games you are making). Its different for each country though, on how much you can exclude from taxes.

Besides it might allow you to subtract certain costs as business expenses, like buying models for your game, program costs, or even a new pc.

But honestly I would start looking into this when you are earning at least a couple hundred a month from patreon. It requires a lot of work finding everything out. Maybe if you are starting to make some serious cash make an appointment with an accountant. There are actually a lot of tax-excluding rules in the EU

Last edited:

zerozip0

May 23, 2018
Beastnation As others have stated the tax rates in your country and region of residence determines how much money one can get at the end of the day with a certain fixed income. A company and a person usually pay tax at very different tax rates. I do not currently possess the knowledge of each individual tax law in each country. What I can do is point you to . You will have to look up which specific rules and laws are in effect in your country/region or perhaps contact a solicitor, a government agent or a statutory auditor for aid in acquiring such information. I hope this clarifies things a bit for you!

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
it's ture but not accurate
lately patreon had new rule about Eu bank
patron can't pay more than his limiting set
so many pledge got reject at the cutting time
I see some patreon talk about this
and some said about get request refund too

but in the end what is show on the page is real money
But that not a point for anyone to start attack the dev about profit he made
I'm very annoy when see the comment about how much lazy dev do with the pay they get?
well... patreon or subscripstar is a platform for donation
donation is his or her own will like for charity not a buying product method
and more angry with the comment by free user...
they complain about what they not pay...
and never look back how much years dev learn
or develop the game before it success like the present they see

well... if they ever care they will never comment about that...

Reactions: Sole

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
lately patreon had new rule about Eu bank
patron can't pay more than his limiting set
Do you have a link to this ? The only thing google show me is the new layer of security measures.

I'm 1,143 on the list :D (at least I'm not 1,572)
And there's more than 1.500 after you... Something to keep in mind for those who think that they'll create an adult game to make a lot of money like DarkCookie.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Do you have a link to this ? The only thing google show me is the new layer of security measures.

And there's more than 1.500 after you... Something to keep in mind for those who think that they'll create an adult game to make a lot of money like DarkCookie.
Money is subjective, to me anyway. My $93 a month is in US dollars, Aussie dollar is fucked, I get $130 or so in AUD, it pays my internet bill. I'm on disability payment, $100 a week would change my life, any more I'd be rich. I'm just happy people like what a middle-aged pervert sitting in loungeroom is trying to do.