I wonder how much nsfw games creators make money

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
My $93 a month is in US dollars, Aussie dollar is fucked, I get $130 or so in AUD, [...]
Which lead to the sad (well depending of which side you are) reality.
Not only the amount are on US$ and you can have a good change rate, like you, or a bad one (US$ 100 = 90€), but the live cost can be radically different, and one can do much with US $10, while another can't even have a beer with this.

As reference, your US$ 93 would pay me my internet and four beers... I would need more, it's not enough beers for a month :D

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Personally, I would just look at it as a hobby initially if I was making my own game. If it became popular enough to be bringing in a signficant chunk of money then I might start thinking about whether to devote more time to it and/or potentially do it full time. But I would go into it fully expecting it to never go beyond the hobby stage unless I did get to top 10% Patreon levels.

I'm still curious what sort of numbers devs are getting off of Steam vs Patreon. I haven't really seen any sort of break down from Steam vs the Patreon numbers. I know I personally would be more likely to pay a 1 time cost to buy a game on Steam rather than a monthly sub on Patreon, but I know a lot of devs are more reliant on Patreon, especially for games that are not finished.

Reactions: crewfalcons

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
This business isn't about selling software (get that through your thick skulls) you're selling a fantasy.

I was 12 when I started working for the mob, so when it comes to making money, I learned from the best. Especially when it comes to marketing fantasy.

When people come to Las Vegas they spend a lot, lose a lot, but they keep coming back again and again, because it's worth every penny.

You as a game dev, are selling a fantasy. The mark has to have confidence in you, for the con to work. This isn't the bad kind of con, if you actually deliver what you promise. Your fans will be happy to keep giving you money, as long as you're making that dream come true.

Reactions: wuleliuwithrain

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Nsfw devs generally don't make that much from what I've seen. Sure there are some devs pulling in thousands of dollars per month but those devs spent time establishing themselves already. Working as a nfsw projects means working in a much smaller market as well so being successful or having a day job is more important if pursuing this path.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

HandofVecna

Sep 4, 2018
Petreon takes 30% and throw in taxes at 20% you're looking at $.50 on the pledged dollar. Throw in your time and the cost of 3d assets, not much I suspect.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Petreon takes 30% and throw in taxes at 20% you're looking at $.50 on the pledged dollar. Throw in your time and the cost of 3d assets, not much I suspect.
Patreon doesn't take 30%, and they do not withhold taxes.

They take 5-12% depending on plan (most content creates are probably taking the 8% one), and 2.9% for each monthly transaction (if it's above 3 dollars).

Overal you lose somewhere between 8 and 15% of your income to Patreon. + whatever you got to pay for taxes (this can highly fluctuate)

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
In most cases, unless you are making 1k per month, you'd be far better off flipping burgers for minimum wage if you want a steadier income.

Reactions: Domiek

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
This business isn't about selling software (get that through your thick skulls) you're selling a fantasy.

I was 12 when I started working for the mob, so when it comes to making money, I learned from the best. Especially when it comes to marketing fantasy.

When people come to Las Vegas they spend a lot, lose a lot, but they keep coming back again and again, because it's worth every penny.

You as a game dev, are selling a fantasy. The mark has to have confidence in you, for the con to work. This isn't the bad kind of con, if you actually deliver what you promise. Your fans will be happy to keep giving you money, as long as you're making that dream come true.
And I have found a picture of you pre-mob days
37b42cb7bb599632fa904b4230aa926b.jpg

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
And I have found a picture of you pre-mob days
View attachment 487611
I didn't have parents, I had landladies.

After I broke out of the lab when I was 10, I lived in the jungle for a while. One day a woman was hiking, and found my camp. She lured me to her house, and pimpped me to other landladies in her neighborhood. Before long, I was mowing lawns and cleaning pools on a regular basis. I was a quick learner, and I recruited others to work in the "family" business.

desperate-housewives-ftr.jpg

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
I didn't have parents, I had landladies.

After I broke out of the lab when I was 10, I lived in the jungle for a while. One day a woman was hiking, and found my camp. She lured me to her house, and pimpped me to other landladies in her neighborhood. Before long, I was mowing lawns and cleaning pools on a regular basis. I was a quick learner, and I recruited others to work in the "family" business.

View attachment 487896
It could have been worse
6049395584_6391d3766c_b.jpg

Reactions: polywog