IDE Recommendations (C#)

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Alright lads and ladies,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but the title says it all. What IDE (minus VS, as 1. I don't have good enough internet to download it, and 2. Its Visual Studio) is perfect for C# development? I'd like to see some plug-in for Eclipse, but fat chance of that happening anytime soon.

If VS is the only good one, I'm double-o fucked.

Thanks,
Eoin

EDIT: On Windows, specifically.

CookieMonster

Donor
May 31, 2017
Maybe try SharpDevelop, MonoDevelop, VS Code? I guess it kind of depends on what your criterion for a good IDE is...

Reactions: Eoin

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
MonoDevelop comes with Unity, and is pretty good. But Visual Studio Community Edition is awfully good...

Reactions: Eoin

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
MonoDevelop comes with Unity, and is pretty good. But Visual Studio Community Edition is awfully good...
It may be good (I've used 2015 in the past on other machines, not owned by myself), but my internet is awful. It took ~3 hours to download base Unity 2017.x. So around 2GB. VS is massive, and my computer (and internet, for that matter) usually shit itself when I try to download/install it.

And unfortunately for meself, placed in the Irish countryside, fibre doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. I'll give Mono a go and see how I get on.

Dasanko

Nov 24, 2016
Alright lads and ladies,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but the title says it all. What IDE (minus VS, as 1. I don't have good enough internet to download it, and 2. Its Visual Studio) is perfect for C# development? I'd like to see some plug-in for Eclipse, but fat chance of that happening anytime soon.

If VS is the only good one, I'm double-o fucked.

Thanks,
Eoin

EDIT: On Windows, specifically.
I'm not sure what's your thing with Visual Studio, but in my experience, it is the best IDE of all I've tried.
If the downside is having a slow internet, maybe you could try leaving it downloading overnight...

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Mono will do the job for now. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: wx448

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
If you're doing Unity, just go with VS. Despite it being VS; the integration is first-class, especially debugging.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Also, the Unity 2018.1 release is going to deprecate the use of MonoDevelop. Now that VS is available for the Mac, Unity's going to switch to supporting only VS. MonoDevelop will still be available separately as part of the Mono project, but heaven knows how long or well they'll support it.

Just a word to the wise.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Have downloaded VS as backup to Mono, as I'm using Unity 2017.1. I'll have to get used to working with VS again so.
Thanks lads.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Glad you succeeded in sucking it down your narrow pipe! LOL