If everyone hates RPGM and Unity, why are Most Viewed Threads (Last 30 Days?) mostly that?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
After spending about 4 months trying to code Renpy, simply moving the text box was a technical feat that felt unachievable.
Reading the official helps a lot with small things like that. I bet there is a simple xpos/ypos attribute that you can edit in the texbox.

But then again you are talking about superficial edits now, things that many devs don't bother changing and many users don't really care about. Basically if you stick with the default settings even someone with no coding experiene can write a simple vn using renpy, that's why it is "easier".

But in the same vein, if your goal was to create an RPG game then RPGM would actually be easier for that job. Because it already has most rpg features implemented by default. Picking the right tool for the job is always the first step.

Luderos

Game Developer
Jul 20, 2020
The problem with a "nice VN" is that there are so many of them that never achieve anything. So you make a nice, basic VN and IMO it gets forgotten quickly. This is why so many of these go for specific fetishes like the "land lady" trend because they have to in order to get any following. But these aren't good games, or at least anything special. Personally I decided I didn't want to make yet another BaDIK/College Kings clone to add to the pile and would rather try to make a unique, subjectively "good" game that I could be proud of. Even if it takes a lot longer and people are disappointed, at least *you* are not disappointed in yourself.

Idk, looking at your game DOTF, maybe you had the same thought because it looks like you're making something very nice that you could be proud of which is much better than a typical VN :)
It sounds much better when you put it like that! :) Not to take anything away from the VN devs of course. It takes skill, talent, and tons of hard work to successfully gamedev, no matter how you're doing it. I'm just drawn to 3d worlds, so that's what I wanted to build. I hope it'll be something to be proud of once it's in a releasable state, but it's been a long road so far, with probably as much in front as behind. However, I'll always say that RenPy is a better choice if your game can be made in RenPy. If not, then go Unity, but be aware what you're getting into. All of the extra learning curve and complexity just reduces the chance that a given project will be completed. (Luckily for my project, I'm stubborn and not reliant on my project to pay the bills.)

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
I would say that https://f95zone.to/threads/house-party-v0-22-0-eek-games.1209/ is an example of a good use of Unity.

I know, this is a game by a larger professional team, unlike most Visual Novels.
But there are some good games by one developer using Unity. For example https://f95zone.to/threads/milky-ways-v0-88-beta-kerni.33000/
In kernis case the games content is npc going trough sex animations in a bdsm object, and throwaway dialogue, character development, story or gameplay is in service to that core content. Even the menus are barely functional. He too would benefit from being part of a larger team than having this highly specific type of a game thats strong in 1 aspect and weak in all others.

Then you get a larger team like eek games and censor the game because it has to sell copies on steam and get worst game grump to advertise the game.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
In kernis case the games content is npc going trough sex animations in a bdsm object, and throwaway dialogue, character development, story or gameplay is in service to that core content. Even the menus are barely functional. He too would benefit from being part of a larger team than having this highly specific type of a game thats strong in 1 aspect and weak in all others.

Then you get a larger team like eek games and censor the game because it has to sell copies on steam and get worst game grump to advertise the game.
But even though Kerni's games may not suit many people's tastes, and the story isn't particularly sophisticated, I think it's one of the best uses of Unity that we can see on F95zone, considering single-man teams.
I'm not really into BSDM, but I still have to admit that his games have their qualities.

Another good example of the use of Unity engine are games from The Architect.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I would say that https://f95zone.to/threads/house-party-v0-22-0-eek-games.1209/ is an example of a good use of Unity.

I know, this is a game by a larger professional team, unlike most Visual Novels.
But there are some good games by one developer using Unity. For example https://f95zone.to/threads/milky-ways-v0-88-beta-kerni.33000/
Just fyi, those games aren't 3DCG, they are actual rendered 3D games.

Renpy can't even handle this level of complexity that's why Unity is the starting point for those.