Others I'm making my first game in Python and I'm completely lost

Jun 11, 2020
Title basically. I'm making it in python because that's the only programming language I sorta know and I'm using the Kivy framework. I've got some basic UI and data work done but I'm finding myself just unable to connect stuff within the project and actually make anything work.

Like right now I have a number of drop-down lists and I'm trying to gather their inputs into a list so I can use those inputs to start a scene but I just can't get this list to work. It just fails to work (is empty) outside of the screen the inputs are set on and chat-gpt can only help so much withssomething this specific and large. Can anybody with experience in game coding help out here? Even if your expertise isn't python I really need help to just get anything at all done here.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
When asking for help you should post your (relevant) code. Nobody will be able to help if we don't see what you are doing wrong.
Btw what kind of game are you making? For a VN Ren'Py would be a better choice as it has all the difficult stuff built in basically.

Deleted member 2282952

Developing I SCREAM
Game Developer
May 1, 2020
From the way you are describing it, you are making spaghetti when you should be focusing on making classes/lists/modules that connect and reference one another. ChatGPT is an assistant, API models can handle huge coding environments, but you need to be confident in Python skills to be able to give correct prompts - 90% of the code can be written by AI assistants, but it won't work without you writing the remaining 10%.

I recommend Codecademy for Python courses (very good web interface) and CheckIO to play games using Python code. That's how I got started.

JakaiD

Dec 26, 2018
There are tools for just about every genre, especially Visual Novels, lie the mentioned . You do not need to learn/know how to code to make a game these days, although the ability to create logic/code might help here and there.

If it is not a VN, then let us know what you are making and maybe we can point you to a tool which can help you build the game.

Interested to know what it is you are building since Kivy seems focused on app and UI development rather than games.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Btw what kind of game are you making?
He's making "a pure text game with no graphics" and he's "not sure renpy even allows for the level of complexity [he] want". [Source: His answer in the other 100% similar thread he started somewhere else here]

Interested to know what it is you are building since Kivy seems focused on app and UI development rather than games.
He's using Kivy because it "lets [him] develop for windows, android and IOS at once". [same source than above]

So, in short, Ren'Py is the answer, since he's clearly stuck because of a variable scope issue and Ren'Py automatically deal with most of them. Plus all the advantage Ren'Py would present, and the fact that it also cover everything he want to do.
But he didn't cared to answer more on the subject.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
He's making "a pure text game with no graphics" and he's "not sure renpy even allows for the level of complexity [he] want". [Source: His answer in the other 100% similar thread he started somewhere else here]

He's using Kivy because it "lets [him] develop for windows, android and IOS at once". [same source than above]

So, in short, Ren'Py is the answer, since he's clearly stuck because of a variable scope issue and Ren'Py automatically deal with most of them. Plus all the advantage Ren'Py would present, and the fact that it also cover everything he want to do.
But he didn't cared to answer more on the subject.
Wow. That's a thread... I was afraid this was the case tbh but I try to approach people positively (even if I don't always succeed.) So basically they are reinventing the wheel while having no engineering experience. I hope those square wheels work out for them.

I mean I have been known to dream every now and again but I don't think I ever thought that with my 2 coding courses in Python and enough knowledge of HTML to change a background I new better than ppl with years of experience who do this for a living every day. I had hoped he was just unknowledgeable that could be guided to the power of Ren'py/RPGM/Twine. But nope. OP just wants to built Rome in a day while never having held a hammer.

Sure I have a couple of complex and interesting ideas. (Like a program that allows you to much more easily make an environment that can be used in Daz/Blender/Honeyselect etc. You know why I don't work on it (other than scribble down a few ideas should I ever win the lottery)? I know I am not able to make something like that no matter how amazing it would be to have a program like that.

So yeah no OP we can't help you. Not because we don't want to help but because you don't want to be helped. As stated in the other thread you need to take a step back and re-evaluate. Ren'Py can do everything you want but it is more idiot/beginnerproof then starting from scratch.

Most people who make their first game use Ren'py/RPGM to make something or make something like blocks in Unity/Unreal. I do hope you succeed but you are well on your way to walking away frustrated in a couple of days.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I'm going to talk about RenPy, which I know you've already said you hadn't planned to use - to offer an alterative point of view.
I'll also add that I don't know python as such - just as much as I've been exposed to by using RenPy.

I'm making it in python because that's the only programming language I sorta know and I'm using the Kivy framework.

I'm unfamiliar with the Kivy framework - but a quick google search gives a good impression of it as a development tool for an impressive looking UI.

I've got some basic UI and data work done but I'm finding myself just unable to connect stuff within the project and actually make anything work.

That sounds more like a Kivy problem than a python problem (though without a more in depth explanation of the problems you are having - it's difficult to say.

Like right now I have a number of drop-down lists and I'm trying to gather their inputs into a list so I can use those inputs to start a scene but I just can't get this list to work. It just fails to work (is empty) outside of the screen the inputs are set on and chat-gpt can only help so much with something this specific and large.

If base Renpy has a deficiency, it's the lack of a dropdown style box. I guess we'd solve it with a series of radio boxes or perhaps go through a series of menu: choices to build up the final selection. Though given RenPy uses python under the hood, I would expect an experienced python programmer to be able to find a python library which could be used within a RenPy game to deliver a workable dropdown box.

Can anybody with experience in game coding help out here? Even if your expertise isn't python I really need help to just get anything at all done here.

The community here tend to be RenPy, RPGMaker and Unity focused. Although there are some other well known platforms too. I don't think I've heard of Kivy being mentioned here before, and I've been here on the Dev forum for a while.

According to their website, Kivy do have a and some sort of . A quick search for "kivy" and "community" also found a and a .

I didn't want to use renpy cause it's a pure text game with no graphics and besides I'm not sure renpy even allows for the level of complexity I want.

RenPy does have what it calls "NVL" mode. Which is basically "text only" or at least "primarily text". It is just as customizable as other RenPy screens (if you don't mind learning the ) and can include all the UI elements that the more recognizable RenPy games include (radio boxes, point-and-click, etc).

And kivy lets me develop for windows, android and IOS at once, provided I can make something at all.

RenPy does support Windows and Linux directly and includes 3rd party software to build Android versions too.
I vaguely recall iOS being included as part of the SDK - but I don't think it's that well supported. Plus since the iOS store is heavily moderated, it's unlikely your standard F95 developer (i.e. adult smut) is targeting that platform.

Without knowing Kivy, it seems it is well designed UI framework created using python.
What I would say though is that RenPy is a well designed UI framework created using python.

Anything you can think to do using python can be done in RenPy, BECAUSE RenPy is built upon python.
So I'm not sure the whole "level of complexity" argument is valid once you accept that.
I've seen python libraries used within RenPy... pygame being the most obvious (the example RenPy project includes a version of the "Pong" game). But I wrote something within RenPy a while ago (as a test/example) that used AES/RSA512 encryption libraries. Not exactly the standard "simple" RenPy implementation.

Likely though, Kivy is your best option (since it is your preferred option) and my gut feel is that you'll need to reach out on their discord for help.

Reactions: UCheatedUrself