Unreal Engine Importing VAM models into UE4.. is it possible?

SlobberGoat

Jun 9, 2020
I've noticed some really nice looking models in the assets channel (that look a lot better than Daz3d imo) so I was wondering whether they could be imported into a UE4 game?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I've noticed some really nice looking models in the assets channel (that look a lot better than Daz3d imo) so I was wondering whether they could be imported into a UE4 game?
I'm not familiar with VAM; but if you can export at least the mesh then it should be done :

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
I'm not a user of VAM, but I do have a ton of experience with Daz in Unreal. As far as I know, VAM is made with Unity, so the process for importing characters should largely be the same as Unreal. You would need to somehow get the VAM character in .fbx format. If it's possible to directly export characters in .fbx format using VAM, then you're all set. If not you will need to find a way to rip the file from VAM using third party software. Alternatively, if you cannot get the rigged .fbx file, but you can get the .obj file (or some other unrigged format) you would then need to rig it yourself, and while that can be done, it adds more to the workflow. You would also need to rip skin textures/clothing meshes/clothing textures/hair meshes etc and assemble them yourself.

My advice is if you're looking for versatile characters to use in Unreal, don't sleep on Daz characters. Daz + Blender + Unreal is a very powerful combination. The amount of clothing assets available for Genesis is several factors larger than VAM, plus you get access to a ton of environments, hairstyles, etc. If it's the facial features of Daz characters that concern you, there are a ton of morphs for that that can completely change it up. Genesis 8.1 has PBR skin textures as well, which will look great in Unreal.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlobberGoat

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
VAM uses Genesis 2 as a base for their characters, in theory, you can re-import it into daz and export the FBX to unreal or any other method (i'am not experienced with Daz to U4).

If you want to give it a try:

The .var files that VAM uses are basically .zip/.rar just extract the morphs from inside them and use the vam to daz program to convert it back to daz, then take it from there.

Last edited:

Azodye

Aug 25, 2021
I'm not a user of VAM, but I do have a ton of experience with Daz in Unreal. As far as I know, VAM is made with Unity, so the process for importing characters should largely be the same as Unreal. You would need to somehow get the VAM character in .fbx format. If it's possible to directly export characters in .fbx format using VAM, then you're all set. If not you will need to find a way to rip the file from VAM using third party software. Alternatively, if you cannot get the rigged .fbx file, but you can get the .obj file (or some other unrigged format) you would then need to rig it yourself, and while that can be done, it adds more to the workflow. You would also need to rip skin textures/clothing meshes/clothing textures/hair meshes etc and assemble them yourself.

My advice is if you're looking for versatile characters to use in Unreal, don't sleep on Daz characters. Daz + Blender + Unreal is a very powerful combination. The amount of clothing assets available for Genesis is several factors larger than VAM, plus you get access to a ton of environments, hairstyles, etc. If it's the facial features of Daz characters that concern you, there are a ton of morphs for that that can completely change it up. Genesis 8.1 has PBR skin textures as well, which will look great in Unreal.
You have ton of experience, then maybe you can solve my problem, is it ok to ask here?

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
You have ton of experience, then maybe you can solve my problem, is it ok to ask here?
Sure, you can ask here, or feel free to DM as well on Discord if you want Dilly#6326. Might be better to ask here in case others have the same question.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
This is a, excuse me, idiotic claim.
I am saying this because the VaM assets are??? Daz assets. And there is no way in flying fucking hell that a realtime renderer will do anything better than actual raytracing.And I am ending that sentence with a fat fucking PERIOD.

That said, VaM looks nice. It's just far from the same. With Daz as the winner.
Not only are VaM characters three generations old compared to current Daz characters, but also, Daz has basically unlimited texture sizes.

• Angry
Reactions: JessicaBlueFire