In some games the animations lag

grunts8

Apr 18, 2022
I have some lag issues with some renpy games animations including Free Pass and Anna Exciting Affection: Chapter 2. When the animations start the CPU reaches 80-90% usage and the animations lag a lot Animation videos run smoothly in VLC or other video players, the lag issue is only in renpy. However in other games the animation videos are smooth for for example: Treasure of Nadia ( however, this game uses rpg maker as its engine) and Anna Exciting Affection Chapter 1: Unofficial Ren'py Remake.

However some time ago a user had posted a compressed version of Anna Exciting Affection: Chapter 2 where the animation videos were in 720p instead of 1080p and in this case the animations were smooth. Could this be the solution to my problem?

To help you solve my problem below I will put the info of my pc and those of the videos of the animations that have lag and those that go smoothly

My PC info:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 21H2
Processor: AMD E1-6010 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics 1.35 GHz
RAM installed: 4.00 GB (3.68 GB usable)

From Anna Exciting Affection Chapter 1: Unofficial Ren'py Remake, example of animations video that runs smooth in Renpy,
The version of Renpy used by the game is: Ren'Py 7.3.5.606

Complete name: 28_6_living_love.webm
Format : WebM
Format version : Version 4
File size : 5.83 MiB
Duration : 25 s 375 ms
Overall bit rate : 1 928 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library : Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP9
Codec ID : V_VP9
Duration : 25 s 366 ms
Width : 2 496 pixels
Height : 1 440 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.733
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Writing library : Lavc58.35.100 libvpx-vp9
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : Opus
Codec ID : A_OPUS
Duration : 25 s 375 ms
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 32 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -4 ms
Writing library : Lavc58.35.100 libopus

From Free Pass example of animations video that lag in Renpy. The version of Renpy used by the game is Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809

Complete name : 745 Fast.mp4
Format : WebM
Format version : Version 4
File size : 11.8 MiB
Duration : 10 s 108 ms
Overall bit rate : 9 823 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf59.4.101
Writing library : Lavf59.4.101
FileExtension_Invalid : webm

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP9
Codec ID : V_VP9
Duration : 10 s 99 ms
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Color range : Limited

Audio
ID : 2
Format : Opus
Codec ID : A_OPUS
Duration : 10 s 108 ms
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 32 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -7 ms
Writing library : Lavc59.4.101 libopus
EPISODE_SORT : 0
HD_VIDEO : 0
ITUNMOVI : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" " "><plist version="1.0"><dict><key>studio</key><string>studio</string><key>cast</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string></string></dict></array><key>directors</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string></string></dict></array><key>producers</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string></string></dict></array><key>codirectors</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string>codirector</string></dict></array><key>screenwriters</key><array><dict><key>name</key><string></string></dict></array></dict></plist>
MEDIA_TYPE : 0
SEASON_NUMBER : 0
VENDOR_ID : [0][0][0][0]

zonesamabaka

Feb 5, 2018
that processor is just not very good nothing you can feasibly do about that in a laptop afaik
you could try compressing the videos yourself maybe ultrafast-adult-games-compressor , alternative-compressor-renpy-only

upgrading to at least 8gb ram (ddr3L/pc3L) would make the computer run better overall, especially for windows & will improve some games performance, but that wont fix the lag from something like rendering 1080p60fps animations in renpy

Lexy Tanaya

Aug 6, 2016
I got this same problem as well and after I done some test it seems that the problem comes from newer renpy version.
I checked which renpy games that can play video animations smoothly and it seems they all runs on version 7.4.x or below, while the laggy runs on version above that (but usually version 8.0.x).

Fortunately, I found a gigachad who found the solution, here.
But if you're too lazy to read all of that, it's basically just:
-Download the first anon link
-Open lib folder from the zip
-Extract and overwrite py3-windows-x86_64 to your game's lib folder.
-Done

It says that you need to rename renpy.exe to the game that you're currently playing and move it to the front folder, but for me it works without me doing that.
Thank that guy later if it works.

avitapilos

May 22, 2022
I got this same problem as well and after I done some test it seems that the problem comes from newer renpy version.
I checked which renpy games that can play video animations smoothly and it seems they all runs on version 7.4.x or below, while the laggy runs on version above that (but usually version 8.0.x).

-Done

It says that you need to rename renpy.exe to the game that you're currently playing and move it to the front folder, but for me it works without me doing that.
Thank you for info sir, i can finally play ripples and other games too. And if u dont mind, some game are use ''windows-x84_64'' in the lib folder, there is no ''py3-windows-x86_64'' folder. Is there a way to fix thee lagging in those games? for example, game like midnight paradise, i dont have problem playing v.16, but now the animation are laggy for new version v.17. thanks for responding sir, sorry for my bad english..

'Heads'

Jul 10, 2021

-Done

Thanks mate appreciate it

sakuzuda

Nov 24, 2021

-Done

are you have solution for rpg games too?
im playing "the shimerring horizon" and my fps drop like crazy

• Thinking Face
Reactions: rKnight

MinXe

Dec 19, 2020
Thank you for info sir, i can finally play ripples and other games too. And if u dont mind, some game are use ''windows-x84_64'' in the lib folder, there is no ''py3-windows-x86_64'' folder. Is there a way to fix thee lagging in those games? for example, game like midnight paradise, i dont have problem playing v.16, but now the animation are laggy for new version v.17. thanks for responding sir, sorry for my bad english..
I've tested it on others games by deleting and renaming from the previous one (always copy and make a backup in case something goes wrong) and it's worked for me so far, I've had a look inside to the files and it doesn't seem to have anything that could break the game (maybe breaks if the dev himself tries to change these aspects to make less laggy their own game) , of course thats just my guesswork :)

Last edited:

CalicoBROOJ

Oct 6, 2021
I've been struggling with this issue for some time and the truth is that most people will tell you to change the renderer but it changes absolutely nothing. The issue comes from RenPy itself who sucks at handling VP9, 60 FPS videos. CPU will work extra hard and the animation will lag.

Only two solutions to this problem so far:

- Use the custom lib linked above. It works well for most games using RenPy 8.0.3.
- If the lib doesn't work, or the game uses a different versions of RenPy. Unfortunately, you need to use UnRen to extract the video files if needed. Then you need to transcode the videos using FFMPEG for instance, to something like VP8 - 30 FPS - .webm, maybe even lower the bitrate. It's a pain in the ass, and honestly not always worth it.