Incest and Patreon from the start

imaajfpstnfo

Game Developer
Oct 25, 2019
Underage, Patreon is really the least of your problem. You'll get kicked off any platforms (including this one), any hosts linking your content will purge you at even a hint of it, and if you're unlucky you may have a visit from the local police.

So don't do that.
The rule you quoted only mentions pre-pubescent characters, though, which the character in question in this game is not.

I obviously know about the issues, I've drawn this sort of stuff for a long time, but I am not gonna bend the knee to that kind of censorship, so I'm sorry to say that I'll respectfully reject your advice of "don't". ;)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The rule you quoted only mentions pre-pubescent characters, though, which the character in question in this game is not.

I obviously know about the issues, I've drawn this sort of stuff for a long time, but I am not gonna bend the knee to that kind of censorship, so I'm sorry to say that I'll respectfully reject your advice of "don't". ;)
Not my business, I guess. You're the one that explicitly used the term 'underage', and yes... if patreon in any way becomes aware that you're doing under-age characters funded through your patreon, they will cancel you.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Patreon react to reports of breaches of their terms and conditions.

So mainly, you aren't hiding from Patreon directly... you are hiding from anyone who downloads your game and decides you've crossed a line, then contact Patreon to bring the matter to their attention. For the most part, gone are the days where Patreon don't notice eventually.

Patreon don't just care about Pateron content.

There has been at least one of example I can think of where Patreon have temporarily suspended a project because of things the author has posted/uploaded elsewhere. One author had their project reviewed because they provided an incest patch here on F95. Everything on Patreon's site was entirely legit, but even through the content was on a different site - there was still a reaction. Patreon can't really blame the author for "fan patches", but when the author themselves can be linked to content Patreon's creditcard processing partners don't like... expect consequences. (i.e. consider having 2 accounts on sites like F95, one that you'd be happy with Patreon seeing your posts and one using a completely different username for "other" stuff).

Patreon don't seem to look at source code.

I can't be absolutely sure, as nobody can... but all indications are that that Patreon don't look under the hood. They're relying on submitted screenshots and such. Which makes sense when you think about it. Not all games are written in RenPy, where the source scripts are generally shipped with the game. They can't have one rule for RenPy games and another for all others (or maybe they can). It might be that once a report is sent in, someone from their Trust and Safety Team may actually download and play your game to verify certain reports or gather more information - but even that seems doubtful in my mind.

Things change.

There was a point in time where Patreon barely noticed things like incest content. Things change.

It is obvious the sort of content Patreon will ban these days. If in doubt, use Subscribestar instead of Patreon... at least until Subscribestar decide to start enforcing morality instead of the law too.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
My impression is that as long as you use some sort of nickname system like "landlady/tenant" you should be ok even if it doesn't really make sense. Then you just need to get someone other than you to post an incest patch replacing "landlady" with "mom", etc in addition to maybe toggling some other incest related variable that has a non incest sounding name to tweak the dialog more.

I don't really see how they could do much about that unless they're going to unpack the game images, determine for themselves whether they think "landlady" really means "mom" and then decide based on the images whether your game has incest. If they do that then there's really no way you could do it without the incest patch being some huge file that actually includes all of the code and all of the images related to incest, and it would be pretty obvious at that point that you did the incest content yourself anyway if someone linked to it.