Fan Art INKED! Our Favorite Tattoed Characters

MrD11InYa

Dec 29, 2019
MrD11InYa When I want something different than a pre-packaged DAZ asset, I usually go and try to find a transparent background PNG file. Then I use it as a L.I.E. (Layered Image Editor) layer on the particular surface I want the tattoo to appear on. For characters you would need to place the PNG in the same spot on both the Base Color image and the Transparency Color image and play around with the opacity of the layers since most tattoos are not made with very bright plastic looking inks. Graffiti on walls, images on clothing and the like do not usually need more than an added layer on the Base Color image.

All L.I.E. layers will conform to the shape of the model they are placed upon.
Can you convert to a PNG from Jpg and make it work?

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Can you convert to a PNG from Jpg and make it work?
Maybe, I don't work much with JPG images, so I don't know how hard it would be. I am pretty sure PS can do it and if free software is better, then GIMP could likely do it also. You want something that can remove the background and PS has an easy way to do that. I have even used IrfanView and it asks what color you want to be transparent when you save in PNG, but it does that in a funny way on images by removing that particular color from the image in its entirety, which can result in a color shift.

You have to convert to PNG because JPG does not support transparency. It might work if the JPG has a pure white background.

Last edited:

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Tshaw17

You don't actually have to add to both the Base and Translucency, it results in too many steps, the easy way is to add your tattoo to the Base Color layered image editor, then zoom or place where you want. Once you hit 'Accept' it creates a temp file for the Base Color image, you can then load that same image into the Translucency Color and it does it in a single step.

The less time you can spend in the Layered Image Editor, the better. Even on my 5950X / RTX3090 system the layered image editor is slow. That is why I don't duplicate the steps on both image layers and cheat by using the temp file it created for the Base Color layer instead.

The temp files are all in the directory that DAZ stores all it's temp files and that is specified in Preferences>General>Temporary Files.

MrD11InYa

Dec 29, 2019
Maybe, I don't work much with JPG images, so I don't know how hard it would be. I am pretty sure PS can do it and if free software is better, then GIMP could likely do it also. You want something that can remove the background and PS has an easy way to do that. I have even used IrfanView and it asks what color you want to be transparent when you save in PNG, but it does that in a funny way on images by removing that particular color from the image in its entirety, which can result in a color shift.

You have to convert to PNG because JPG does not support transparency. It might work if the JPG has a pure white background.
I want to recreate LIE tattoos of these interesting works. I think they would create a unique character. The person who had them done was a unique person herself. I have the closeups of each and her pubic region work where it all started.

Reactions: LFARA

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
MrD11InYa They need to be flat images, so perhaps the original concept art or tracings used for the tattoos, or you may have to recreate them yourself. In both cases the art seems to be symmetrical so you only need to recreate one side then mirror it to the other side.