Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Your map looks like a TRPG panel. And those choice and script are good. Feell like playing a TRPG. Waiting for new update.
*You pass the insight check*

Thanks. That's kinda intentional. Maps are even made with a tool for tabletop RPGs. Text games suck at navigation. Multiple relocations and a lot of location descriptions in a purely textual way overburden the player's perception. The visualization is very useful here.

As for the general resemblance to tabletop RPGs. Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't use my experience in tabletop RPGs when working on the game, the setting, and even the detailed biographies. The latter in tabletop games is usually the player's prerogative, but here, of course, I had to do it as well.

fyreant

Jun 19, 2022
This game is really good. No complaints. I like that it's a lewd game (and let's not kid ourselves, that is why people are playing this) that has a sense of restraint, takes itself fairly seriously, and prioritizes immersion over maximizing smut. RPG wise, so far it seems like strength is kinda useless compared to the other stats to focus on but I assume it may become more important later.

My main concern is... technical. Specifically, the whole 'pregnancy risk' thing is a big point of interest for me (like many on these forums) and I like that it is treated as appropriately dangerous for such a kind of low-fantasy world. Which means that the blue poison potion is probably a good addition. But the way that it supposedly works seems to be absurdly over-complicated to the point that I'm skeptical it will be functional. I mean, hats off to you if you can make it work, but the fact that there's like 4 different possible levels of using it or not using it strikes me as awfully ambitious.

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
This game is really good. No complaints. I like that it's a lewd game (and let's not kid ourselves, that is why people are playing this) that has a sense of restraint, takes itself fairly seriously, and prioritizes immersion over maximizing smut. RPG wise, so far it seems like strength is kinda useless compared to the other stats to focus on but I assume it may become more important later.

My main concern is... technical. Specifically, the whole 'pregnancy risk' thing is a big point of interest for me (like many on these forums) and I like that it is treated as appropriately dangerous for such a kind of low-fantasy world. Which means that the blue poison potion is probably a good addition. But the way that it supposedly works seems to be absurdly over-complicated to the point that I'm skeptical it will be functional. I mean, hats off to you if you can make it work, but the fact that there's like 4 different possible levels of using it or not using it strikes me as awfully ambitious.
Thanks. Strictly technically there is no Strength in the game, and Vigor is something like a combination of Strength and Endurance from other RPGs, but adjusted for age and sex (biological). Which is stated in its description. It's also worth taking into account that the role system reflects individual potential rather than some comparative value among the entire specie, as in most other RPGs.

That is, Mind 0 doesn't make the protagonist a mentally chilled vegetable incapable of coherent speech. Rather, it reflects that the character isn't very prone to mental activity. Likewise, Vigor 10 doesn't make the character a She-Hulk, rather... she'll be in peak physical shape, but still an ordinary woman. And despite the fact that this Ability is not actively used in the 1st Chapter, something tells me that it still comes in handy in the future, especially in many dangerous or... unpleasant situations.

As for pregnancy. Looks like I need to make an FAQ on this topic or something. So many people have questions about this particular aspect of the game.

Reactions: Anika 88

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Pregnancy in the Inner Empire.

Many people have many questions specifically about this aspect. Some of them are hard for me to answer, as any answer would be an unwelcome spoiler, which is bad for a story-driven game. But some I can answer.

• Pregnancy is not a fake mechanic. Don't worry.
  • Pregnancy is one of the hidden mechanics. That is, you, as a player, won't see any numbers. That's the way it's intended.
  • The protagonist is definitely not pregnant at the beginning of the game. And it doesn't matter how much sex she had or didn't have in the specific Origin. But she can get pregnant from the moment you, the players, gain control over her.
  • When you see an artistic description of ejaculation inside - there's always a section of code that checks to see if the impregnation has succeeded. Yes, right at that point.
  • What are the chances? The chances are [censored]. Yeah, that's more interesting. The chances are real, that's all you need to know.
  • How do you know if the protagonist is pregnant or not? Surprise, surprise! You'll find out eventually. Yep, pregnancy tests haven't been invented yet in this world.
  • In the insemination code (sounds, huh? :LOL:), the father's ethnicity is also "sewn in". This could serve as a clue as to who the father is in the future because DNA tests have not yet been invented in this world as well. Although, they say being choosy about sexual partners instead of having promiscuous sex also helps with that. But you're not going to listen to this nonsense, are you?
  • Pregnancy is standard 9 months, as it should be. Yes, the 1st Chapter is only 1 day long. But in the game will be time skips between or within different chapters. No further words from me, for it will already be spoilers.
  • The game's storyline and chapter timings are designed for the possible pregnancy of the protagonist.
  • Will it be possible to raise a child, start a family, etc.? Who knows. Any answer to that question would be a spoiler. So I'll keep quiet, sorry.
  • How does Blue Kiss work? All you know about this remedy is what Iolanta told the protagonist. So… Does it even work, hmm? Check it out. Or not. Your choice.

Last edited:

Noone202

Jan 18, 2020

Many people have many questions specifically about this aspect. Some of them are hard for me to answer, as any answer would be an unwelcome spoiler, which is bad for a story-driven game. But some I can answer.

• Pregnancy is one of the hidden mechanics. That is, you, as a player, won't see any numbers. That's the way it's intended.
  • The protagonist is definitely not pregnant at the beginning of the game. And it doesn't matter how much sex she had or didn't have in the specific Origin. But she can get pregnant from the moment you, the players, gain control over her.
  • When you see an artistic description of ejaculation inside - there's always a section of code that checks to see if the impregnation has succeeded. Yes, right at that point.
  • What are the chances? The chances are [censored]. Yeah, that's more interesting. The chances are real, that's all you need to know.
  • How do you know if the protagonist is pregnant or not? Surprise, surprise! You'll find out eventually. Yep, pregnancy tests haven't been invented yet in this world.
  • In the insemination code (sounds, huh? :LOL:), the father's ethnicity is also "sewn in". This could serve as a clue as to who the father is in the future because DNA tests have not yet been invented in this world as well. Although, they say being choosy about sexual partners instead of having promiscuous sex also helps with that. But you're not going to listen to this nonsense, are you?
  • Pregnancy is standard 9 months, as it should be. Yes, the 1st Chapter is only 1 day long. But in the game will be time skips between or within different chapters. No further words from me, for it will already be spoilers.
  • The game's storyline and chapter timings are designed for the possible pregnancy of the protagonist.
  • Will it be possible to raise a child, start a family, etc.? Who knows. Any answer to that question would be a spoiler. So I'll keep quiet, sorry.
  • How does Blue Kiss work? All you know about this remedy is what Iolanta told the protagonist. So… Does it even work, hmm? Check it out. Or not. Your choice.
Very good.
Can you please put it on the dev notes in the first page? That way people Will not come by every 3 days or so asking about pregnancy. Well they probably would still do that but then other can just told them to read the first page instead of diving through the threads.

Reactions: trutru and coretex

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Very good.
Can you please put it on the dev notes in the first page? That way people Will not come by every 3 days or so asking about pregnancy. Well they probably would still do that but then other can just told them to read the first page instead of diving through the threads.
Done.

Reactions: Anika 88

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
Thanks for the info. Not gonna lie, but I would be totally into the MC coming across some sort of fertility ritual/fertility herb in which the effects can be stacked through a series of questionable decisions. Naturally, this will have major consequences of being supremely knocked up with multiples and in turn will severely affect her day to day depending on how many she ends up carrying. It's all about the journey. >:3
Honestly, what you described sounds more like hyper-pregnancy. I'm in favor of moderate realism rather than heavily fetishized stuff. But even beyond that... a number of other problems immediately arise if I try to do something like that.

But the very idea of ritual sex in the context of an impregnation attempt... Maybe. No promises.

Reactions: nogling

pookyrawr

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, what you described sounds more like hyper-pregnancy. I'm in favor of moderate realism rather than heavily fetishized stuff. But even beyond that... a number of other problems immediately arise if I try to do something like that.

But the very idea of ritual sex in the context of an impregnation attempt... Maybe. No promises.
All good. What's important is proper story-telling and game development, and I certainly would not want to derail the game for something so specific. Just got a little carried away there. Looking forward to see what's next!

Reactions: Defiant Explorer

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
And one more thing. No, not about the pregnancy thing.

Anyway, I needed a save for testing the added content for Chapter 2 (yes, work in progress, don't worry). So I had to go through Chapter 1 all over again. And found one old mistake.

Briefly, if you see anywhere descriptions concerning the protagonist not from a 1st-person perspective, it's a mistake. Please let me know, okay?

• 1st person's perspective: I, me, we, mine, etc. = Correct.
  • 2nd person's perspective: you, your, yours, etc. = Incorrect as far as the protagonist's thoughts, perceptions, feelings, and actions in the game are concerned.

A couple of places (1 line in the dialogue with Barnabas and 1 line when taking Pitchy with you) I've already corrected today. You don't need to report them. The fixes will be in the next update, with the early events of Chapter 2... When they will be ready *Sigh*

The root of this mistake is that in an earlier version of the game all the descriptions were in the 2nd person. That's how most games usually do it and I fell for this one... common thing. I remember when I noticed that it just didn't work well in my game, about 90% of Chapter 1 was done and I spent almost a month fixing it everywhere. But a few 2nd person lines were apparently overlooked. Yeah, it's hard to edit 180k of text...

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you'd report them if you find any.

RexUniverse

Nov 9, 2018

Oh I am REALLY loving the concept of this, including about how each chapter will work out different either if you got pregnant or not. May sound a lot for you, of course, but man, I do enjoy when it becomes this much interactive, including after pregnancy stuff that you mention (well not a correct mention, but you know what I mean). So few games do this while the majority go with the game over (which is honestly boring at this point), so it makes me happy your game is the third new one going this route (from new ones we have yours, Debtors and Carnal Instinct, last one is one that is taking very long to achieve that).

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
This game is so perfect that you can even choose to play as victim of gangrape in war . The backstory you choose is important! You even have nightmares going over about the details later
Thanks. And... Well, in the description of the Origin itself in the first sentence...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What? Did you think that was just an exaggeration? Nope.

Survivor Origin is an opportunity to play a character with dramatic depth. I remember it was a little nerve-wracking to start working on this Origin. Quite a challenge. But when I did get down to it, and this is going to sound odd, I really enjoyed working with it. Broken things have a kind of sweet, appealing aura of imperfection that makes them beautiful, truly beautiful, even if not in the usual sense of that word. Oh man, I dunno how to explain it better. I guess that feeling can only be caught somewhere between the lines, playing for this Origin. At least, I hope so.

BitaDev

Feb 11, 2022
I've been studying your game for the past week or so. It really has changed my idea of what a twine game can be. Since I haven't really done anything in Twine, can you point to some resources you used? Mainly concerning the character creation part?

Defiant Explorer

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2017
I've been studying your game for the past week or so. It really has changed my idea of what a twine game can be. Since I haven't really done anything in Twine, can you point to some resources you used? Mainly concerning the character creation part?
I'm afraid I don't know the road to the universal temple of knowledge. If you find one, let me know, okay? Before I started working on the game, I even hadn't written a line of code in my entire life. So I'm hardly qualified to be a sensei in this aspect as well. The answers to the purely technical questions I found with a trivial googling. There mostly were links to the Twine forum or Motoslave's documentation, the author of Sugarcube.

But if you still care about my advice... Well, I'd recommend focusing first on the story you want to tell and only then on the technical aspects, you'll need to make it happen. When I decided on the story, the rules I needed to follow to tell this story right emerged on their own. Like, no grind, walls of text only where there's no other way, the story shouldn't be just as some lazy justification of sex scenes, etc. It's the same with the technical aspects. I developed them as needed for the story, not trying to force the story into their framework.

4.60 star(s) 41 Votes