Daz Iray preview all dark or black

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
So I have a redner ready map with all lights and everything set up with the characters. I even tried Iray preview and lightning was all good. But after I set the poses and shifted to Iray preview, it all showed up black as if there were no lights.

1670934397306.png

This is not a VRAM issue since I have a 4090 and only 11 GB is being used out of 24. And I can still select the characters and the objects in the scene but everything is black and here are the tone mapper settings. Any idea how to fix this?

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Your Iray previews and renders are lighted correctly, but when you switch to "perspective" view you get all black?
I think you know already that not all the lights show up in the preview: emissives for example. You're sure that's not the case?

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Your Iray previews and renders are lighted correctly, but when you switch to "perspective" view you get all black?
I think you know already that not all the lights show up in the preview: emissives for example. You're sure that's not the case?
I tried rendering it too but I still get black.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Iray preview -> correct
perspective preview -> black
render -> black
:WaitWhat:
My head hurts.

Do you have ambient lighting?
This happens for all the cameras?
Yeah same for all cameras. Btw I don't know if u misunderstood but iray preview in perspective camera as shown above appears black. But that was after setting up the poses. Before I set up the poses, I loaded iray preview in perspective camera and everything was normal. So I dont understand how things changed because I set only the poses?

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
My fault, when I wrote "perspective mode" I meant "texture shaded", that's the default mode for me.
110 eV is not right anyay. There's something not right in your shitter EDIT: shutter, shutter, I meant shutter! speed. Try putting it back to 128 and see if something changes.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Shot in the dark, but what is your Environment mode in? Render Settings > Environment > Environment Mode.

Try fidgeting with those, as some of them can get finnicky with different types of lighting.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
My fault, when I wrote "perspective mode" I meant "texture shaded", that's the default mode for me.
110 eV is not right anyay. There's something not right in your shitter EDIT: shutter, shutter, I meant shutter! speed. Try putting it back to 128 and see if something changes.
Thanks so much! You were right. Its the absurd shutter speed value. I have no idea how it changed to such a weird big number since I never touched it.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks so much! You were right. Its the absurd shutter speed value. I have no idea how it changed to such a weird big number since I never touched it.
It's 1stBastion's Render Settings. His stuff looks pretty good, but he's always messing with the Tone Mapping/Environment Modes/etc.

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
I should've noticed it sooner, but for some reason I fixated myself that it was a texture shaded view, so I didn't check.
Well, if you didn't load any new render settings or merged from other, maybe it could be just a misclick or you left the computer alone with the cat :D
Or even more likely, what MissFurtune said (I'm not familiar with that vendor).
Shot in the dark
Quite appropriate to the theme ;)
Make sure the camera isn't blocked by anything like a wall, furniture.. etc.. just a thought.
That was my first thought: when I have a similar problem (and it happens quite often) 99% of the time it's because I moved a spotlight in front of the camera without disabiling "render emitter". But since he had the problem on every camera, it couldn't be so simple.

• Haha
Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
without disabiling "render emitter".
Not even going to lie. I've been using Daz for a bit now and had no idea that even existed until a month ago. Been lighting, framing, and composing scenes all with the intention of avoiding spotlights. Still catch myself doing it when I'm bashing out a quick scene, but this made my life quite a bit easier lol.

Reactions: The Rogue Trader

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Not even going to lie. I've been using Daz for a bit now and had no idea that even existed until a month ago. Been lighting, framing, and composing scenes all with the intention of avoiding spotlights. Still catch myself doing it when I'm bashing out a quick scene, but this made my life quite a bit easier lol.
I wonder how many cool things are out there in Daz, hell bent to simplify my life and I have no idea that they exist :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: MissFortune

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That was my first thought: when I have a similar problem (and it happens quite often) 99% of the time it's because I moved a spotlight in front of the camera without disabiling "render emitter". But since he had the problem on every camera, it couldn't be so simple.
I discovered that some assets can be also resulting in black renders.
Not that it has to do anything with this issue but it happen to me that i could not get any light to work in that scene (asset). No matter what i did.
I think some assets are perhaps broken or just don't work at all.
In my case i tried to use this.
I am not really slow or anything but i couldn't get this scene to work. Sad. :cry:

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
I discovered that some assets can be also resulting in black renders.
Not that it has to do anything with this issue but it happen to me that i could not get any light to work in that scene (asset). No matter what i did.
I think some assets are perhaps broken or just don't work at all.
In my case i tried to use this.
I am not really slow or anything but i couldn't get this scene to work. Sad. :cry:
That's a truly ancient asset. Definitely pre-Iray, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the built-in lights do not work in the current version of Daz Studio. If even additional lights don't work... I've no idea of what could possibly be happening.
I'll try it in the following days and if I discover something I'll PM you.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That's a truly ancient asset. Definitely pre-Iray, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the built-in lights do not work in the current version of Daz Studio. If even additional lights don't work... I've no idea of what could possibly be happening.
I'll try it in the following days and if I discover something I'll PM you.
Thats ok. I didn't even realize that it was that old.
I just needed something small and well, trash... it fit the bill but didn't work. At least i know now why. :LOL:

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Still bugs me that spots show up in mirrors and reflective surfaces.

Also bugs me that spots cast shadows, lol..

#1 reason I love the ghost light 1 kit, TBH ...

Make sure the camera isn't blocked by anything like a wall, furniture.. etc.. just a thought.
I get this quite often, especially in scenes where i can't hide walls. You try and get that perfect camera angle and it previews fine in the viewport and the Iray View, but goes black when you render. Usually just takes changing the one Axis on the camera a wee bit to bring it forward, past whatever surface that is causing the issue.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I just developed some love for Spotlight. Since planes can tend to flash everything out (the way i use it), spotlight is actually not that bad.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

Well, since i am here....

Yes, that is very true. I am not sure how many renders i did before realizing there is a reflection in the eyes.
The way i do it, is to move in an angle that makes it impossible to cast a reflection in the eye. Though you need more than one plane then.

I don't use ghost lights at the moment. Not that i would paid for it but i am trying to use less such assets.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

I get this quite often, especially in scenes where i can't hide walls. You try and get that perfect camera angle and it previews fine in the viewport and the Iray View, but goes black when you render. Usually just takes changing the one Axis on the camera a wee bit to bring it forward, past whatever surface that is causing the issue.
Me and the viewport are not on the best terms.
I quite hate it actually.
It does happen sometimes though i learned.

You could use a Iray Plane to saw through that portion of the wall in an angle and solve it that way. Better is probably to have an asset that can be disassembled in some way and build some planes around to seal the room.

Most of the time it happens to me if i use a plane and forget that i put a camera right there. Me, dummy.

Reactions: Turning Tricks