Daz Iray preview all dark or black

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Thats ok. I didn't even realize that it was that old.
I just needed something small and well, trash... it fit the bill but didn't work. At least i know now why. :LOL:
OK, I checked the kit and the problem is that the included lights (that are under Daz format while the rest of the scene is under Poser format... Aaargh! My sense of orderliness is offended! :mad:) are set way too low. If you turn on "Photometric Mode" on each of the lights and add a 0 to the Lumen Flux (you multiply it x10, if you prefer) you'll get closer to what it's shown in the preview pics.
I tested only the daylight option:
Street_DefaultDome.png Street_NoDome_x10Lights.png
The first one is a render out of the box, without the vendor's included lights but using the default DAZ HDRI environment.
The second one is set as "scene only " under environment, and with the vendor's lights cranked up tenfold (I also converted the building on the right to Uber shader, but I don't see any meaningful difference).
If I set the environment to "scene only", using the vendor's lights as they are out of the box, I get a black render.

Last edited:
Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
OK, I checked the kit and the problem is that the included lights (that are under Daz format while the rest of the scene is under Poser format... Aaargh! My sense of orderliness is offended! :mad:) are set way too low. If you turn on "Photometric Mode" on each of the lights and add a 0 to the Lumen Flux (you multiply it x10, if you prefer) you'll get closer to what it's shown in the preview pics.
I tested only the daylight option:
View attachment 2233899 View attachment 2233900
The first one is a render out of the box, without the vendor's included lights but using the default DAZ HDRI environment.
The second one is set as "scene only " under environment, and with the vendor's lights cranked up tenfold (I also converted the building on the right to Uber shader, but I don't see any meaningful difference).
If I set the environment to "scene only", using the vendor's lights as they are out of the box, I get a black render.
That looks pretty good.
I am impressed. :)

I will try it again. It's just a prop for some in between scene and it looks looks kind of poor which fits for my purposes.
Though, i am always perplex of the things i never think about it. Like the light. I did not even try. What i did try, adding HDRI. Didn't work. Add a sphere. Didn't work and i kind of gave up from that moment on.
Something else learned. :)

Thanks again.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Imho good rule of thumb is always to destroy/redo any lights, emissives (especially with recent Iray change) and spotlights and any cameras (!) on any asset to match you liking, even more if the Daz/Poser asset is quite old.

is quite unmatched if you deal with huge amount of lights source in a Daz asset.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted