Is 200-300$ per character too much?

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
I don't really know the prices out there but I am used to paying between 45 to 200$ depending on the quality of the work... Never went over 200$ per character for a full body.

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
If you have the budget there is no limit. But it is expensive and probably quality overkill.

Reactions: Spirox

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I don't really know the prices out there but I am used to paying between 45 to 200$ depending on the quality of the work... Never went over 200$ per character for a full body.
Have you tried to make a character yourself?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I mean, if you factor in the time it takes to make a character from nothing, and say the local minimum wage is $10 an hour, A lot of the time artists are being paid less than minimum wage for the artwork (if they are an online freelancer). 10 to 20 hours from my experience is how long it takes to make a good character drawing, and that's if I am making 2D vector art, using 3D to help model and pose the initial character design (not making the 3D model easy to work with or reusable, just basic geometric shapes to map out the proportions) and the character is clean, possibly reusable (thanks to being a vector, sometimes art will have multiple expressions and arm positions, for things like a character talking and not talking). So people do have a habit of undervaluing art... but the hell I ain't paying full price, that's why I taught myself art (5 years and i am feeling pretty good), and I think that is why I lot of people would rather find a partner or give a share of the money, rather than pay up front, finding a proper artist and paying them a proper wage is far too expensive, and if the artist went to college then their wage is a lot more since they got to pay off that investment.

I'm a lazy artist, I keep trying to find ways to make things quick, easy, but powerful, I don't want to spend 2 months making a damn1-minute animation (yes that is a thing), so I find all sorts of short cuts, evaluate how practical they are, and try to find better solutions (my favorite is to model robots and human bodies with mathematics, I am trying to make a program to design an animate basic bodies, and use the new nano jetson and program/train it with style transfer techniques so that it will generate the different art styles based on the basic renders... still getting the hardware tho and prototyping in blender. A few other guys I have found are working on similar stuff.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
I mean, if you factor in the time it takes to make a character from nothing, and say the local minimum wage is $10 an hour, A lot of the time artists are being paid less than minimum wage for the artwork (if they are an online freelancer). 10 to 20 hours from my experience is how long it takes to make a good character drawing, and that's if I am making 2D vector art, using 3D to help model and pose the initial character design (not making the 3D model easy to work with or reusable, just basic geometric shapes to map out the proportions) and the character is clean, possibly reusable (thanks to being a vector, sometimes art will have multiple expressions and arm positions, for things like a character talking and not talking). So people do have a habit of undervaluing art... but the hell I ain't paying full price, that's why I taught myself art (5 years and i am feeling pretty good), and I think that is why I lot of people would rather find a partner or give a share of the money, rather than pay up front, finding a proper artist and paying them a proper wage is far too expensive, and if the artist went to college then their wage is a lot more since they got to pay off that investment.

I'm a lazy artist, I keep trying to find ways to make things quick, easy, but powerful, I don't want to spend 2 months making a damn1-minute animation (yes that is a thing), so I find all sorts of short cuts, evaluate how practical they are, and try to find better solutions (my favorite is to model robots and human bodies with mathematics, I am trying to make a program to design an animate basic bodies, and use the new nano jetson and program/train it with style transfer techniques so that it will generate the different art styles based on the basic renders... still getting the hardware tho and prototyping in blender. A few other guys I have found are working on similar stuff.
Well, I don't know if we are talking about the same thing but I only talked about 2D art, not 3D like in Blender.

That's has been said, I am ok with what you said before... The only problem is that some artist just doesn't want a partnership... At first, I was looking for a partner but when I saw that people stopped talking to me when I asked for a partnership I just stopped asking. They accept more a shitty commission pay wedge than a partnership lol.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I think the issue with asking for partners or why no one can manage to find one is that people tend to be afraid of commitments, people would rather not have to worry about thinking or the fears of trying to bring the project to reality, and really just want a simple task that they can do. I have tried to adapt my work model in the past before to just asking for individuals to do small simple tasks, the issue is however, without a partner or someone you can hire, you can't have consistent work quality, and if the basic stuff one is working with is not consistent, it becomes very difficult to get anything finished or working. And hence, as a college bum with no money, had to kinda rely on myself to do everything. That is probably why a lot of people use daz themselves, because it is difficult to sync up with people to work on a project together.

I only talked about 2D art, not 3D like in Blender.
I wasn't making a 3D model, I was doing 2D art, but I use 3D for rapid posing (just to lock in body proportions incase I am going to pose the body and not just tracing a reference image.). I try to focus on a lot of tricks to help speed up art or improve quality, so I get my money's worth or my time's worth out of it. Blender is just one of many tricks.