VN Is anyone interested in a RPGM game with this style and art?

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
So, I have been working on this game for not too much time, maybe a month, but I've thought in making one for a while, and I just was wondering if anyone would like if I make it.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
A lot of this VN RPGM games that I play are walking simulators with no direction of what to do or where to go, they have huge maps with nothing to do in them, they were merely a vehicle to put some CG into your screen (not all of them), still, saw a lot of potential and with a smaller more tighter map a QuestLog for directions to know what are you doing (especially when you open the game after a few days and have no idea were you left off) and focusing on exploration of the map itself, could be a fun game.

I like a lot how it looks with a 16x16 tileset, some of the assets right now are just rescaled to fit the pixel density.

Now the rest of the game would be using HoneySelect with my own custom maps made in 3dsMax
HS based games never really click to me, but I think just comes down to the lighting, other option would be using DAZ 3d but I don't know much about that program.

Also, I'm new to this community, I play a lot of this games but never actually interact with others.
English is not my main language btw

U

User_920791

Despite making game development easier, RPG Maker is a badly optimized engine (this applies to any version). If it is not possible to build a rpg using another engine, adapt your game to the "default" visual novel format and use Ren'Py. In the long run, this will prevent a lot of problems and complaints from people.

Reactions: Saburo. M

EisTeeAT

Oct 1, 2017
If you want to make a RPGM game then do it, but be warned a lot of ppl will never even give it a look because RPGM is annoying.
People prefer Renpy or UNity stuff, because RPGM is just a lot of walkign around.
And yeah if you are good you can make it work for sure, but as said most ppl will mostly just not check RPGM games cause usually they are super annoying to play.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
You do what you want.

See the guy above saying most people want touch RPGM?

He talks shit. There are plenty of RPGM games with a decent sized player base. Roundscape Adorevia, Legend of Queen Opala and Last Sovereign are 3 of the biggest games earning thousands a month and they are all RPGM. A vocal minority won't touch it and they will be sure to go into a thread clearly labelled as RPGM to complain about RPGM because logic flew out of the window.

At the end of the day, you're the one making the game, you do what you want to do.

dacris69

M, TI
Donor
Nov 20, 2017
It looks good, both the rpgm part and the HS girls; what i dont want is huge unrealistic boobs like most of the HS game have.

PokeIssau

Fan of things.
Donor
Jan 15, 2018
In some cases when the content is too much (which is great) you can't put it on other systems because it wouldn't look good, Let's take My New Life as an example, it has great mini-games, interesting stories and impressive CGs, if it were passed to Ren'Py I think it would be total chaos, not because a game is in RPG Maker means it's bad, I personally like them, there are many good games made that way like Milf's Control, Lust Epidemic, Peasant's Quest, etc.
Make your game, if it's good you'll get support no matter what platform it's made of.
jScnu0cx_400x400.jpg

Reactions: Namco15

Retro

Retired
Former Staff
Sep 7, 2017
A lot of this VN RPGM games that I play are walking simulators with no direction of what to do or where to go, they have huge maps with nothing to do in them, they were merely a vehicle to put some CG into your screen (not all of them), still, saw a lot of potential and with a smaller more tighter map a QuestLog for directions to know what are you doing (especially when you open the game after a few days and have no idea were you left off) and focusing on exploration of the map itself, could be a fun game.

Honey Select

Reactions: DATA-NOISE

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know if it's the light in the environment or what, but the two students look like they were made in an older generation of HS than the "milf" character in the different environment.

I have no love for RPGM, however I know that the majority of the issues with it are developer side, not engine side. So, if you're able to use RPGM correctly, aren't creating a VN with a walking simulator in it, or for that matter, a Life Sim with a walking sim in it, then it can and should be good. Make your environments matter, give us things to explore and preferably people to do, and you'll be golden.

My absolute favorite game is RPGM, but its one of only two I'm currently playing. If there's to be combat in your game, make sure it's balanced, or if its not balanced on purpose, then make losing fun. If there's not to be combat in your game, I start to wonder why it has to be RPGM, however, as the two I'm playing currently have no combat I know it can be done. All in all, if you have a good vision and do a good job with it, you should be fine.

W65

May 31, 2018
RPG Maker gives you the map system, the inventory and menu systems, and the combat system. You've got to make those things meaningful to your game in order for RPG Maker to really make sense as a platform. It's not that you MUST use all those things, but those are the things you wouldn't need to make if you were starting from Unity or Godot, and things that a regular VN wouldn't normally have created for them.

It's very possible to do something totally different with your game than the run-of-the-mill RPG Maker thing. Off the top of my head, I know of one game out there (untranslated) called that's almost unrecognizable as having been made in RPG Maker. I'm sure in addition to in-house work the dev probably has a dozen Japanese-language RPG Maker plugins or libraries they've thrown on top of the engine. But it's a mountain of effort.

As other folks have said, just be sure you're using the engine that's best for the game that you want to make.

(I know nobody seems to like Wolf RPG games, but that's one system I wish were more available to Western game devs. That and eramaker.)

whiskeyrose

Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
RPGM is just fine it just gets a bad rap for the reasons you already state in your OP. Of all the game engines, RPGM is the easiest by far to fart out a 0.1 version using whatever models and a google translated dialogue to post on a fresh patreon.

They can be good, and I think you're right on the money. They really can't be entirely linear. If the game exists entirely from the player getting from point to point to see scene to scene then I lose interest almost immediately. Similar (but not to the extent) is if the games primary game mechanic is the base combat system then I'm going to save edit to cheat it.

I personally am looking for games where my choices have somewhat of an effect or a change on a character that isn't part of an unavoidable main plot path. For example, (and warning here, impregnation is my fetish) in Peasants quest you can impregnate most of the female cast. You don't have to knock them up, some get happy you did it and some get pissed that you did. Even something as small as a little branch based off my choices was fantastic.

Another example of this (and it's not an RPGMaker game) is The Company. You can manipulate many characters into being sex crazed bimbos, and upon doing so with a few characters it will forever change interactions. Your sister starts sleeping with you at night, or your mom sucks you off in the morning; but at the very least your actions added something to the game other than "Now that your sister is at a love value of 5, when you go to her room she will allow anal in addition to other options."

I don't know if that makes any sense. But the short answer I think is you're in the right place.

Reactions: Saburo. M