is it acceptable to render at 720p for a renpy game ?

Johi

Jun 22, 2017
is it acceptable to render at 720p for a renpy game, and then resize the image with photoshop or other programs .
Or will most gamers find the quality unacceptable ?

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
The majority of RenPy games are 720p, you don't need to resize it yourself, RenPy will scale it for you.

Good quality 720p is far better than low quality 1080p. Some 3d artists will render at 1080p or even 4k and downscale to 720p, as this can increase quality.

Johi

Jun 22, 2017
The majority of RenPy games are 720p, you don't need to resize it yourself, RenPy will scale it for you.

Good quality 720p is far better than low quality 1080p. Some 3d artists will render at 1080p or even 4k and downscale to 720p, as this can increase quality.
I see . Thanks this helps alot :)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
You generally want your source assets at a high res (4K, for example). That way, changing them all to 1080p or 720p is a trivial batch operation. The reverse is not true; if you have a bunch of 720p images and make the decision to ship at higher resolutions, you're screwed.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You generally want your source assets at a high res (4K, for example). That way, changing them all to 1080p or 720p is a trivial batch operation. The reverse is not true; if you have a bunch of 720p images and make the decision to ship at higher resolutions, you're screwed.
Absolutely true if you have that luxury. Of course, larger assets take much longer to render than smaller ones, so if you're banging out a lot of renders, there's a tradeoff involved. For people getting going, I would personally suggest just picking a screen size, configuring Ren'py at that and then rendering at that. I personally have no issue with people choosing smaller screen sizes, even though I have a big monitor. But, of course, others may have different opinions.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Ren'py will only go up to 1080P if you load 4K renders in it it will downscale to 1080

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
There's also the fact that if you use 1080p images, even in .jpg format, your game will get really big overtime.

I'm using 1080p .jpg images on my game (downscaled from 4k) and it's getting pretty big... I'm considering switching to another format (webp maybe) or toning it down to 720p.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
There's also the fact that if you use 1080p images, even in .jpg format, your game will get really big overtime.
True. One thing - if you're using Daz Studio to generate your images, it generates JPEG files at ridiculously high quality levels ("quality level" as defined in the JPEG spec). You can gain SIGNIFICANT size reductions, without significant image quality reduction. One very easy way is to use "ImageMagick," and to resample your images to 90% quality.

magick INPUT_FILE -quality 90% OUTPUT_FILE

In the images I'm generating for the "Big Brother Shopping Adventure," the average Daz-Studio-Output-JPEG size is about 1.3Mb. Doing the "90%" bit reduces the average to about 370K, or just over 25% of the original size, without (to my eye) any significant loss in quality.

Reactions: Johi

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Yeah; there's a lot of diminishing returns at the high end of JPG encoding. WebP is also a great format for high-quality/low size, but depending on the game engine you're using it may not be supported.