• We will be performing maintenance to upgrade some of our forum tools. During this time, the site will remain online, but you may encounter some errors until the maintenance is complete. The report and search functions will be unavailable until the maintenance is complete.

Maintenance is expected to last up to 4 hours.

The maintenance window will start on Thursday, 2024/07/04, at: 1:00 PM GMT / 3:00 PM CEST / 9:00 AM EDT / 6:00 AM PDT / 12:00 AM AEDT

Thank you for your patience.

2D Is it Ok to Trace in Art?

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
people don't like traced ard because it always looks bad
That's exactly what I'm trying to understand.
If you read the reviews of my current project, people love mostly the art. They ask me for technical advice and stuff. Some of them only care about it and pay little attention to the game in se. In addition, some even liked Goss_IP art which imo wasn't that good.
In the same time, once in a while, others contact me saying that my art is like wiki how and it's all over the place and in short they don't like it.
Now, based on the number of my patrons (which is low) and the not great popularity of my projects I have to admit that probably this art isn't for everyone.
Probably the majority will agree with you. But some of us few like it, and that gives me strength to keep it up.
Anyway, thanks. Feedback positive or negative is always welcomed.

ForTheGlory

Aug 25, 2022
Far as I can see ... this is just another form of photomanipulation, is it not? You speed up your production time by not having to guess crucial aspects of a picture.

Not unlike what many commercial giants use, like Bioware and Blizzard. They made it sexy, too.

We can't expect masterpieces for bargain basement prices, or cutthroat deadlines. The Michelangelos of the world don't have 4 or 40 years to complete their works.

We're seeing artists like Alfie's InCase burn out from endless pages of masterpiece on tight deadlines, even on a livable wage. It's just not a sustainable process longterm, even for those of us who are able-bodied.

If you've found something that works for you, brings you satisfaction, is properly credited, and no one's getting hurt by it - what's the problem? Your style looks a lot like western comics to me.

d90art

Mar 23, 2019
If you read the reviews of my current project, people love mostly the art. They ask me for technical advice and stuff. Some of them only care about it and pay little attention to the game in se. In addition, some even liked Goss_IP art which imo wasn't that good.
In the same time, once in a while, others contact me saying that my art is like wiki how and it's all over the place and in short they don't like it.
Now, based on the number of my patrons (which is low) and the not great popularity of my projects I have to admit that probably this art isn't for everyone.
Probably the majority will agree with you. But some of us few like it, and that gives me strength to keep it up.

Genuine advice from another artist. The reason behind people being able to pick your art out as traced or comparing it to wikihow will be because of the proportions. Real life proportions look nothing like stylized characters and when you do have an image of a real person that is traced over it makes things look a bit "Off" and you tend to hit the uncanny valley a bit. As you grow and get better at art I would actually recommend basically drawing a sphere at each point of articulation (hips, torso, shoulders, neck, head, knees and feet) over the image you are working from and then deleting the image off of your canvas. Keep it up on another screen to look at, but fudge things based on what is visually appealing. Make wastes thinner, hips wider, parts rounder that type of thing. Use the original image for the pose and then take off the training wheels following that. It will help you improve massively.

mvls

Jun 10, 2021
The reason behind people being able to pick your art out as traced or comparing it to wikihow will be because of the proportions.
I don't think that it's the main problem. Traced art has a lot of unnecessary details, especially in hair. When you don't know how to draw you can't see which details are necessary and wich isn't. Also tracing artists often use "acid" colors

Reactions: Basilicata

namiv

Feb 19, 2020
oh boy tracing, ive heard comments about it from bests and worsts and its always 50-50
the thing is how much you are depended on it
as a beginner its 100% a good thing, intermediate its still a good thing if you pay attention to what you see and what you are doing while doing it, as expert its still good for warm up your hand
i always (every day) spend 20-30 mins tracing at the start, it warms me up and my hand and mind wont be doubtful when im doing more serious things
when i was learning in earlier stages i always had a complicated pic which i traced 1st then draw from the trace just by looking at it, it also helped me with proportions and whereabouts of my pen

namiv

Feb 19, 2020
the question is what you trace, personally i like what i see cuz im fan of realistic style but some may look after stylized more than realistic, as for your art i suggest trying what you like everyday beside what you are doing, in time your practices of what you like will go into your flows, then see your trace a rough and by refining it try to add those elements your practiced in your favorite styles in it, in no time you will have a desirable style
and second thing is that your low number of patreons is likely not related to your art, ive seen ppl with muchhhhhh worse art having muchhhhhh more numbers, check your content again!