Daz Is it okay to use HDRI's to light up interior coupled with iray camera?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Man, you can light your scenes however you want to. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! You like the results? Go with it.

Personally, I find that characters in scenes lit with only a HDRI feel kind of flat. I always want a couple of spotlights on the characters to make them stand out more from the surroundings.

Reactions: GNVE

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Is it okay? Sure. Can you do it? Definitely. Is it the most ideal or optimal way of lighting? Probably not, unless you're on lower-end hardware. If I recall, you're using a 3090 (or 4090?), so that shouldn't present much of an issue. But at the end of the day, it all really depends on the effect you're after and if you're okay with 'flatter' lighting. Which can be something of an inherent nature to a lot of HDRI as they tend to evenly light everything. There's exceptions, but most fall under that.

I don't think HDRIs are necessarily any better or worse than any other form of lighting, but don't expect the visual fidelity of someone like Philly or Ocean by lighting scenes that way.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Is it okay? Sure. Can you do it? Definitely. Is it the most ideal or optimal way of lighting? Probably not, unless you're on lower-end hardware. If I recall, you're using a 3090 (or 4090?), so that shouldn't present much of an issue. But at the end of the day, it all really depends on the effect you're after and if you're okay with 'flatter' lighting. Which can be something of an inherent nature to a lot of HDRI as they tend to evenly light everything. There's exceptions, but most fall under that.

I don't think HDRIs are necessarily any better or worse than any other form of lighting, but don't expect the visual fidelity of someone like Philly or Ocean by lighting scenes that way.
so you are saying i should set up character lighting rigs along with hdri?

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
Man, you can light your scenes however you want to. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! You like the results? Go with it.

Personally, I find that characters in scenes lit with only a HDRI feel kind of flat. I always want a couple of spotlights on the characters to make them stand out more from the surroundings.
is the difference noticeable? The thing is adding the three light setup, it introduces noise in the render while hdri tends to keep the noise to a minimum level. That is why I feel reluctant about adding spotlights for the characters.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
so you are saying i should set up character lighting rigs along with hdri?
That's entirely up to you and the type of renders you want to put out. Different lighting techniques will give different looks.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
is the difference noticeable? The thing is adding the three light setup, it introduces noise in the render while hdri tends to keep the noise to a minimum level. That is why I feel reluctant about adding spotlights for the characters.
To me it is very noticeable. A HDRI just makes sure you have light. Adding spotlights, mesh lights, point lights, sets the atmosphere, realism, and ultimately quality of your renders.

But it's all subjective and ultimately you decide. If you look at the renders of the people who do high quality Daz work (some named by MissFortune above) I can (almost) promise you none of them do HDRI-only renders.

For noise, well ... More iterations, or a denoiser. I find that denoisers give me acceptable results for everything except closeups, so I render those for more iterations. Again, it's all subjective and I'm just a happy amateur when it comes to Daz.

Reactions: immortalkid69

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
But at the end of the day, it all really depends on the effect you're after and if you're okay with 'flatter' lighting. Which can be something of an inherent nature to a lot of HDRI as they tend to evenly light everything. There's exceptions, but most fall under that.
Imho, it's not that much with 'flatter' lightening. Images based lighening are just nearly as capable has any source of lights. If you forget about the spherical image, it's just light stored data in a sphere or a box. If you have some time to lose take a look at HDR light studio to see how it's done (it's far from difficult). There is some, erm, *free* version here and there.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That being said, 95% of HDRI (Daz or not) are abolutely not made for an interior shot - nor a close up - it's the part people fully miss imo. It can simulate more or less complex lightening to an extand and shortcut lights micro managing (with obvious raw iteration/sec benefit).

Last edited:
Reactions: MissFortune

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thats a HDRi with a low pastel blue emmisive plane behind them and above, weather that makes much of a difference pfft who knows. Someone who is better than me at photoshop could make it nicer. Its about 3rd or 4th attempt with different HDRI settings, dunno if I can get it better or not. I personally use a few different light methods, spotlights is not one of them, I don't really like them (I'm not very good with mind you).

View attachment 2500890

With all due respect and I mean it, it's all that wrong with IBL rendering damn it.
It's not credible for a second.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Why?? You offended fucking nobody?!

It is bad used Hdri:
yeah (shit happen)

who give a fuck:
everybody goes there, it s perfectly normal.

You need to fail until it's good

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
HDRI for outdoor shots, particularly when you need a sky in the shot. Otherwise, other lighting gives better ambience.
No, it's not. It's just a different approach.
All in all it's just light sources with X lm, Y direction and Z geometry.
Both approach has their plus and cons but are fully complementary.

When culling your scenes (not rendering what outside the camera) the main difference is one allow micro-managing (truely, not just rotating a dome/box) each sources; other one is converging your pixels way faster. That's about it.

Knowing mixing both is huge gain of time imho.

edit:

To illustrate, don't mind (or do lol) the render was about testing 8.1 eyes and translucency, but it's a hdri and just one spotlight. Rendering time is what you should expect.

vic8.1_2.jpg

Last edited: