Is it something in the water?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
This, so much this.

I have a pretty broad spectrum when it comes to things I like but i'm not a fan of the more extreme end of most fetishes.

Trying to throw too much in just to try and bring in the monies is going to end up doing the opposite.

I'll repeat what I said in a game currently in alpha with a huge list. If you are going to do that it needs to be optional and it needs to be obvious when those options are coming up.

Some people get off on simulated (or not) rape but throw in a decapitation and using the head to finish off would put off a lot of folk.
Keywords can make or break you on the internet. Some fetish words are hot right now, others will get you filtered.

Giving the player choices, is always good. Some games have toggles at the start to turn off undesired content.

Another thing that's been happening a lot lately, is trickery, and traps. "Surprise the MC's girlfriend has a penis" this is of course a virtual extension, of the same thing that takes place in real life. Some trans people cross-dress, and live a happy life. I can respect that. But some are thrill seekers, who dress as girls and try and trick men into something. There are hundreds of cases where they got themselves beaten to death. Even two cases i'm aware of that resulted in reconstructive surgery, that included making them the woman they wanted to be, but what a price to pay.
Of course these games should be properly tagged, but these devs will argue that would ruin the game (for them)

We all have our own motives. There isn't one common thing that drives us to make games. Not even money. One dev I know, doesn't care about money at all. Every game he makes has his virtual cock in it, and to play the game you have to jerk him off. He gets thousands of emails telling him how much his games suck, and he gets off on that. Imagine "Dear developer, i've been stroking this cock for 3 hours, and can't seem to advance the game. Is there a walkthough?" His paysite has like 5 members, 4 of them are pirates and he doesn't give a damn.

Aug 22, 2017
One dev I know, doesn't care about money at all. Every game he makes has his virtual cock in it, and to play the game you have to jerk him off. He gets thousands of emails telling him how much his games suck, and he gets off on that. Imagine "Dear developer, i've been stroking this cock for 3 hours, and can't seem to advance the game. Is there a walkthough?" His paysite has like 5 members, 4 of them are pirates and he doesn't give a damn.
That is awesome and that dev is a genius.

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
I participate in about 40 different adult game forums. Not going to pick favorites, to each their own. Some of those forums are geared towards one: fetish, engine, genre, or other thing it's users have in common. Different types of games, have different types of fans (frankly, some don't play well with others). Some of those are close knit communities, where users are very supportive of one another, and frequently collaborate on projects. Countless times groups of people have pulled an all-nighter, to bug test, fix, and finish a game.

Patreon is the opposite of that. It doesn't promote finishing a game, it promotes greed. Finish your game, the money dries up. It doesn't support collaboration, because that means sharing. But the worst part, is the pay for influence aspect of it's tier system. Where legit fans of the game are ignored, in favor of higher paying tier supporters.
Selling your soul at the crossroads, is nothing new, all sorts of artists have been doing it for thousands of years. Usually there's a fiddle of gold involved, but on Patreon it seems the going rate is about $20/ mo. If that's all you think you are worth, then I have no respect for you either.
patreon is really meant for ongoing things, like artists who draw, or youtubers. using it for game devs kinda defeats its purpose, like it should have rules only allowing people to support game devs but the game should be bought or given elsewhere.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
patreon is really meant for ongoing things, like artists who draw, or youtubers. using it for game devs kinda defeats its purpose, like it should have rules only allowing people to support game devs but the game should be bought or given elsewhere.
It's for free games, not something to be sold. Youtube doesn't charge it's viewers...
By being a patron you are supporting creators, so they can spend more time creating.
I support new developers who's talents should be put to better use, than asking do you want fries with that.
Free and open source games deserve support.
I don't support developers who are trying to sell their game on patreon, or offering reward for support.
If you are wasting time milking patreon, making 3 different versions of your game for tier levels, that time would be better focused on one version for everyone.
If you think 10 patrons at $20 is better than 13,000 patrons at $1 you are seriously bad at math.
Selling out your fans, is the worst thing you can do.

If you want to sell your game, contact a publisher. It might be worth more than you think.

The tier rewards work for artists, but they hurt games.
I will make you a personal drawing, for $20. sure.
I will personalize my game just for you, for $20. not in this life, buddy.

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Patreon can be both good and bad. Like all things in life, it can be utilized positively, or abused. I've only been working on my game for a few months, and it's a RPGM game so it's not liable to be that popular. But having people willing to support my game, even if it's just a dollar, means a lot to me. Even though I'm making my game for myself, I still want other people to play it and enjoy it. I mean who writes a book that only they, the author, reads?

Reactions: The-real-Vastitas