Others Is there a graphical only (not code) smartphone chat template program? SOLVED

ShinyRock_Productions

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2022
I was about to ask this, but I answered my own question before I finished writing this post, maybe this will help future devs?

Make your own "smartphone chat images" to use in your projects:

I guess this isn't "news" to most here.

2023-02-07_053911.png

Cheers, everyone :coffee:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'd be very hesitant using it commercially, though. Especially with a total lack of any licensing terms on their part, leaving you open to the possibility of Meta coming after you for using what effectively amounts to their IP. You'd almost be better off buying a UI mockup from Envato and using that. If you're at all competent with Photoshop or GIMP, it's quite easy to make a bubble with some text on it, and then save it out as a PNG. Which allows you to bring them up one at a time, and thus allow you to have alternates based on choices. Like so:

Which could easily have a choice added onto it:
Python:
default textdate_1 = False
menu:
    "Ask her out":
        $ textdate_1 = True
        show asktext1_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show asktext1reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show asktext2_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show asktext2reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
    "Don't ask her out":
        show donttext1_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show donttext1reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show donttext2_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show donttext2reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
Or you could make a phone UI that's more aesthetically coordinated with your VN/game and its UI. Which I'm planning to do, just haven't gotten around to it quite yet. It all really depends on your needs and what you need it for. You'll more than likely be fine with the fake chat, honestly, but if you have the ability to make something look better, then why not?

ShinyRock_Productions

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2022
I'd be very hesitant using it commercially, though. Especially with a total lack of any licensing terms on their part, leaving you open to the possibility of Meta coming after you for using what effectively amounts to their IP. You'd almost be better off buying a UI mockup from Envato and using that. If you're at all competent with Photoshop or GIMP, it's quite easy to make a bubble with some text on it, and then save it out as a PNG. Which allows you to bring them up one at a time, and thus allow you to have alternates based on choices. Like so:

Which could easily have a choice added onto it:
Python:
default textdate_1 = False
menu:
    "Ask her out":
        $ textdate_1 = True
        show asktext1_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show asktext1reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show asktext2_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show asktext2reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
    "Don't ask her out":
        show donttext1_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show donttext1reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show donttext2_john with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
        pause
        show donttext2reply_jane with easeinbottom/easeintop/etc
Or you could make a phone UI that's more aesthetically coordinated with your VN/game and its UI. Which I'm planning to do, just haven't gotten around to it quite yet. It all really depends on your needs and what you need it for. You'll more than likely be fine with the fake chat, honestly, but if you have the ability to make something look better, then why not?
Agree. In case you welcome a partner in this "phone UI" side app, let me know, I'm new, but maybe I could assist as far as this "sidekick application" is concerned?

Thank-you

EDIT: to be clear, this post is about having the ability to just have a graphical representation of a smartphone conversation chat, not going as far as the more bold and demanding task of generating a live conversation updating in a really nice manner like you have there on your example. Anyways maybe more devs will get help from this.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I am considering making a very simple mobile phone, as my scenarios are all in the late 90's/early 2000's.
So a time where phone screens where 5x5cm, only displayed characters, and could only display around twenty by line, three/four line by screen. Oh, and also a time where you usually could only send twenty/thirty messages/month before having to pay for each one.
Said otherwise, a time where no one used their phone to talk over text.

ShinyRock_Productions

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2022
So a time where phone screens where 5x5cm, only displayed characters, and could only display around twenty by line, three/four line by screen. Oh, and also a time where you usually could only send twenty/thirty messages/month before having to pay for each one.
Said otherwise, a time where no one used their phone to talk over text.
Patently, and demonstrably, false.

In 1998 the proliferation of mobile phones in my country in Europe was already established, some ("middle class and up") highschool children were already being expelled out of class for interrupting class/abusing their mobile phones.

Not only that, but I did not specify what type of scenario, and what type of people populate my game, text messaging (including the sending photos via mobile network, not wifi) was fully established in the business community. There were already wide screen mobile phones, and the late 90's, early 2000's, is precisely when several wider screened mobile phones were popular.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Patently, and demonstrably, false.
Do you know the Nokia 3410 ? The one used in most Nokia memes, it was released in 2001, right in the middle of the time period you intend to put your game in, and I was already 30yo when it was released...
I lived those years, used those phones, payed those bills.

In 1998 the proliferation of mobile phones in my country in Europe was already established, some ("middle class and up") highschool children were already being expelled out of class for interrupting class/abusing their mobile phones.
What prove absolutely nothing. Not only snake, among others, was an addictive game, but anyway, at this time having your phone out of your pocket was enough for you to be expelled. Of course, some phones had wider screens, mostly 5x10cm, but they weren't the norm, far from this. And it don't change the fact that you were charged for any text message after the 20/30 included in your phone plan.

Not only that, but I did not specify what type of scenario, and what type of people populate my game, text messaging (including the sending photos via mobile network, not wifi) was fully established in the business community.
You would have been more credible without the part regarding the photos.
The very first mobile phone to include a digital camera was the Kyocera VP-210 (1999), and it was seen as a crazy trend at this time. It's only in 2003 (from memory, can be mid/late 2002) that Western countries started to include one in their own mobile phones ; it was the Sanyo SCP-5300 if my memory don't betray me.
I know that internet claim that the first mobile phone photo was done in 1997, but it's clickbait bullshit. As you can see , it was just the first digital photography to be sent through internet, what is different. You can also clearly see that the photography was took with a digital camera, not a mobile phone.
Anyway, the 640x480 photos you could take at those times were relatively useless for a professional use, and between the phone network bandwidth and its relative reliability, sending them wasn't this comfortable. Even in 2007, when the first iPhone was released, the said phone networks weren't sized to easily share them.

There were already wide screen mobile phones, and the late 90's, early 2000's, is precisely when several wider screened mobile phones were popular.
Not really, but you missed something relatively significant: it's a game.

Who care if the phones are unrealistic when the MC and his 25cm dick will bang his sister, have all the girls fall for him, or whatever story you intend to make ? Anyway, around half the members being below 30yo, they'll probably have the same misconception than you regarding mobile phones.
I did nothing else than informing you that, no, contrarily to what you think, what you intend to do isn't realistic, it's all.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Do you know the Nokia 3410 ? The one used in most Nokia memes, it was released in 2001, right in the middle of the time period you intend to put your game in, and I was already 30yo when it was released...
I lived those years, used those phones, payed those bills.

What prove absolutely nothing. Not only snake, among others, was an addictive game, but anyway, at this time having your phone out of your pocket was enough for you to be expelled. Of course, some phones had wider screens, mostly 5x10cm, but they weren't the norm, far from this. And it don't change the fact that you were charged for any text message after the 20/30 included in your phone plan.

You would have been more credible without the part regarding the photos.
The very first mobile phone to include a digital camera was the Kyocera VP-210 (1999), and it was seen as a crazy trend at this time. It's only in 2003 (from memory, can be mid/late 2002) that Western countries started to include one in their own mobile phones ; it was the Sanyo SCP-5300 if my memory don't betray me.
I know that internet claim that the first mobile phone photo was done in 1997, but it's clickbait bullshit. As you can see , it was just the first digital photography to be sent through internet, what is different. You can also clearly see that the photography was took with a digital camera, not a mobile phone.
Anyway, the 640x480 photos you could take at those times were relatively useless for a professional use, and between the phone network bandwidth and its relative reliability, sending them wasn't this comfortable. Even in 2007, when the first iPhone was released, the said phone networks weren't sized to easily share them.

Not really, but you missed something relatively significant: it's a game.

Who care if the phones are unrealistic when the MC and his 25cm dick will bang his sister, have all the girls fall for him, or whatever story you intend to make ? Anyway, around half the members being below 30yo, they'll probably have the same misconception than you regarding mobile phones.
I did nothing else than informing you that, no, contrarily to what you think, what you intend to do isn't realistic, it's all.
Early teen in Europe around the millennium I second this post.