Is there a way to install ALL of the Daz 3D files in the same directory?

Walt Dee

Apr 4, 2017
I only intend for one user to use DAZ 3D and its related apps, and I'd like to install all of the files, such as library, plug-ins, package manager files, manifests , etc. in one directory (each into their own subdirectory, of course) so all I have to do to backup everything is copy that folder to other media. Is that possibly? If so, how?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I only intend for one user to use DAZ 3D and its related apps, and I'd like to install all of the files, such as library, plug-ins, package manager files, manifests , etc. in one directory (each into their own subdirectory, of course) so all I have to do to backup everything is copy that folder to other media. Is that possibly? If so, how?

Yes, it is. The Daz Installation Manager (DIM) allows you to adjust the directories into which other "stuff" is installed. So you'd have to:
  1. Install DIM to, say, D:\DAZ3D\DAZ3DIM1
  2. Open DIM, and click the gear all the way at the upper right
  3. On the "Downloads" tab, change the "Package Archive" and "Thumbnail Archive" settings to, say, D:/DAZ3D/DOWNLOADS and D:/DAZ3D/THUMBNAILS
  4. On the "Installation" tab, similarly modify the paths so that they're underneath your D:\DAZ3D folder. For example, I have DIM put the applications in D:/DAZ3D/App32 and D:/DAZ3D/App64, and the content in D:/DAZ3D/Content/DIM.
  5. Now download and install the Daz Studio application and all the starter materials
Final step:
  1. After you've installed Daz Studio, launch it
  2. Go to Edit / Preferences
  3. Click on the Content tab
  4. Click on Content Directory Manager at the bottom
  5. Modify the Daz Connect Data item to be in your content area (example: D:/DAZ3D/Content/DazConnect)
  6. Modify the Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats entries to use the content directory you specified in step #4 in the first section (e.g. D:/DAZ3D/Content/DIM)
  7. Accept / Accept
At that point, you should be good.

My own system is that I have different types of content in different subdirectories under D:\DAZ3D\Content - so I put DIM-installed content in a DIM sub-folder, manually installed content from Renderosity in a Renderosity sub-folder, etc. You could mix it all together - I just choose not to, since it helps me find stuff. (I usually know where I got it from). Note that if you add additional content folders (like my D:\DAZ3D\Content\Renderosity) you have to add that folder to the "Daz Studio Formats" list as described above, or Studio won't know to look there. (That's one advantage of an "everything in one place" approach, I guess.)

Be aware that Daz Studio does use registry entries on Windows, so you can't just blindly copy the entire D:/DAZ3D folder to another machine and have it work - you do have to go through the installation process with the applications, at least. But in terms of being able to back up the entire thing in one swell foop, this will work.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Whilst I have only used Daz experimentally...

One issue I ran into first time around was that I ended up feeling like I'd completely screwed up my library of assets/content because some of the packages I downloaded couldn't be installed using the Daz Install Manager (DIM).

Instead I unpacked packages directly into my library folders from ZIP/RAR files.
Whilst stuff worked, I soon reached a point where there were assets I didn't want anymore - except I couldn't really separate out the individual files to get rid of them.

By the time I'd faffed about a bit, I was getting errors and stuff and so ended up deleting everything so that I could start from a blank slate again - because I didn't trust the database of assets actually matched the assets I had any more.

I promised myself I wouldn't install anything in the future that couldn't be installed via DIM (Or I would at least figure out the thread that lets you set up the DIM metadata for packages that didn't have them). Instead I just abandoned the idea of using Daz - because it was easier, I'm a slacker and I didn't have a project in mind.

I offer this only as a cautionary tales of putting everything in just one single place.

If I were to every try Daz again the future, I think I would probably have at least 3 libraries defined to Daz (as Rich described earlier).
  • The default Daz library stored in C:\{wherever}\
  • A second Daz library on my D:\dev\Daz\DIM Library\
  • A third Daz library, probably under D:\dev\Daz\Other Sources\
My second library is primarily because my D:\dev\ folder tends to be where I keep all my development source files and because my D: drive is a RAID array for extra redundancy. I would probably even go so far as to make this my default installation library for DIM.

My third library is for my "other" assets not installed properly through DIM and is a reaction to the problems I had the first time around. (It may cause more problems in another way... I dunno). Though it sounds like Renderocity files might be suited to go there... though even then, I might just end up with a fourth library to separate out legit and non-legit packages.

But as I say, all this is theoretical on my part - because I wimped out trying again.
Maybe some seasoned Daz people could highlight any pros and cons for you - just so you could at least consider multiple libraries again rather than a single monolithic one.

Reactions: Walt Dee

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
No, Daz content must be installed. It won't work properly, without a lot of pain in the ass to locate the files when you want to use them.

XPS Pose Studio is what you want. To add content to XPS you simply drop the zip file in the content folder, and it works.
to remove content, you simply delete the zip file.

Daz file manager, installs and deletes files, but it often overwrites files, and deletes the wrong files when you remove content... makes other content unuseable due to the error

Walt Dee

Apr 4, 2017
Yes, it is. The Daz Installation Manager (DIM) allows you to adjust the directories into which other "stuff" is installed. So you'd have to:
  3. On the "Downloads" tab, change the "Package Archive" and "Thumbnail Archive" settings to, say, D:/DAZ3D/DOWNLOADS and D:/DAZ3D/THUMBNAILS
  4. On the "Installation" tab, similarly modify the paths so that they're underneath your D:\DAZ3D folder. For example, I have DIM put the applications in D:/DAZ3D/App32 and D:/DAZ3D/App64, and the content in D:/DAZ3D/Content/DIM.
  5. Now download and install the Daz Studio application and all the starter materials
Final step:
  5. Modify the Daz Connect Data item to be in your content area (example: D:/DAZ3D/Content/DazConnect)
  6. Modify the Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats entries to use the content directory you specified in step #4 in the first section (e.g. D:/DAZ3D/Content/DIM)
  7. Accept / Accept

My own system is that I have different types of content in different subdirectories under D:\DAZ3D\Content - so I put DIM-installed content in a DIM sub-folder, manually installed content from Renderosity in a Renderosity sub-folder, etc. You could mix it all together - I just choose not to, since it helps me find stuff. (I usually know where I got it from). Note that if you add additional content folders (like my D:\DAZ3D\Content\Renderosity) you have to add that folder to the "Daz Studio Formats" list as described above, or Studio won't know to look there. (That's one advantage of an "everything in one place" approach, I guess.)

Be aware that Daz Studio does use registry entries on Windows, so you can't just blindly copy the entire D:/DAZ3D folder to another machine and have it work - you do have to go through the installation process with the applications, at least. But in terms of being able to back up the entire thing in one swell foop, this will work.

Thanks!

Walt Dee

Apr 4, 2017

One issue I ran into first time around was that I ended up feeling like I'd completely screwed up my library of assets/content because some of the packages I downloaded couldn't be installed using the Daz Install Manager (DIM).

Instead I unpacked packages directly into my library folders from ZIP/RAR files.
Whilst stuff worked, I soon reached a point where there were assets I didn't want anymore - except I couldn't really separate out the individual files to get rid of them.

By the time I'd faffed about a bit, I was getting errors and stuff and so ended up deleting everything so that I could start from a blank slate again - because I didn't trust the database of assets actually matched the assets I had any more.

I promised myself I wouldn't install anything in the future that couldn't be installed via DIM (Or I would at least figure out the thread that lets you set up the DIM metadata for packages that didn't have them). Instead I just abandoned the idea of using Daz - because it was easier, I'm a slacker and I didn't have a project in mind.

I offer this only as a cautionary tales of putting everything in just one single place.

If I were to every try Daz again the future, I think I would probably have at least 3 libraries defined to Daz (as Rich described earlier).
My second library is primarily because my D:\dev\ folder tends to be where I keep all my development source files and because my D: drive is a RAID array for extra redundancy. I would probably even go so far as to make this my default installation library for DIM.

My third library is for my "other" assets not installed properly through DIM and is a reaction to the problems I had the first time around. (It may cause more problems in another way... I dunno). Though it sounds like Renderocity files might be suited to go there... though even then, I might just end up with a fourth library to separate out legit and non-legit packages.

But as I say, all this is theoretical on my part - because I wimped out trying again.
Maybe some seasoned Daz people could highlight any pros and cons for you - just so you could at least consider multiple libraries again rather than a single monolithic one.
Thanks!

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018

I never use the smart content tab, even smart content files I install manually at times because I get sick of installing say a hair and can never find it because the "Sheri Bun Hair" is not in hairs, instead it's in oot/hair or something. Environments are worse, they all get installed manually so my "Lonely Park" actually shows in Environments/Lonely Park not Environments/Architecture/Polish/Lonely Park. Basically I just put the Park folder itself in Environments, then sometimes rename them in Daz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porcus Dev

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I never use the smart content tab, even smart content files I install manually at times because I get sick of installing say a hair and can never find it because the "Sheri Bun Hair" is not in hairs, instead it's in oot/hair or something. Environments are worse, they all get installed manually so my "Lonely Park" actually shows in Environments/Lonely Park not Environments/Architecture/Polish/Lonely Park. Basically I just put the Park folder itself in Environments, then sometimes rename them in Daz.
One of the things you can do is to re-arrange the "user-facing" files into an organization that makes sense to you. It does mean that DIM might not be able to update it correctly if an update comes out, of course, but usually updates published by the Daz folks aren't in the "user-facing" files anyway.

Do NOT re-arrange anything in the "data" or "Runtime" folders - that stuff doesn't show up in the "Content" tab anyway, but the paths in those directories are significant and can't be altered without problem.

But the ".duf" files (along with their corresponding ".png" files) in all the other directories don't have to be in the position in the directory struction where they're initially installed.

So, if you want to reorganize things so that you can find them more easily, you can.

Reactions: mickydoo

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
No, Daz content must be installed. It won't work properly, without a lot of pain in the ass to locate the files when you want to use them.
Partly true, but not 100% true. If it's content that contains "Smart Content metadata" (as virtually all of the Daz3d.com content does) if you don't install it using DIM, you won't be able to find the product in the "Smart Content" tab or the "Products" area in the "Content" tab, because those entries are managed in the PostgreSQL database that Daz Studio refers to as the "Content Management System" (CMS), and the installation process through DIM is what updates the CMS database.

But, in general, only content published through Daz3d.com contains "Smart Content metadata." Products from places like Renderosity and Renderotica do not, in general, and are usually not distributed in a format compatible with DIM. Thus, your only option with content like that is to manually install it into your Daz Studio content area (unzip and copy), and to find the content by navigating the "Content" pane. Which, as you and mickydoo indicate, can be a pain, because different PA's put stuff in different places.

So, manually installed content (if you put it into the correct directories) will work properly (if by "work properly" it is meant "can be rendered as intended"), but it also is a lot harder to find.

I frequently find myself going back to the ZIP files for individual products, opening them up and looking to see where this PA decided to hide that product... :)

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
So, manually installed content (if you put it into the correct directories) will work properly (if by "work properly" it is meant "can be rendered as intended"), but it also is a lot harder to find.
That's the part you failed to comprehend from the OP. OP asked can I put assets in their own subdirectories in one folder.
Daz wants them as you say "manually installed content (if you put it into the correct directories) will work properly"

Doing it the way OP asked, is not the correct directories. You would have to manually locate every single part of the asset for Daz to be able to use it.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
That's the part you failed to comprehend from the OP. OP asked can I put assets in their own subdirectories in one folder.
Daz wants them as you say "manually installed content (if you put it into the correct directories) will work properly"

Doing it the way OP asked, is not the correct directories. You would have to manually locate every single part of the asset for Daz to be able to use it.
OK, you and I interpreted the meaning of the OP's post slightly differently. I interpreted it as "using the folder structure that Daz wants/needs, but with that content structure, the executables, the downloads, etc., all underneath one master folder, as opposed to spread out across multiple top-level folders on the C: drive the way that Daz defaults to." If the OP really meant that EVERYthing was going to be in a single folder with no subfolders, etc., then you're absolutely correct that Daz Studio would be VERY unhappy. :) The folder hierarchy inside the "data" and "Runtime" folders is absolutely necessary if you want DS to be in any way usable.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
OK, you and I interpreted the meaning of the OP's post slightly differently. I interpreted it as "using the folder structure that Daz wants/needs, but with that content structure, the executables, the downloads, etc., all underneath one master folder, as opposed to spread out across multiple top-level folders on the C: drive the way that Daz defaults to." If the OP really meant that EVERYthing was going to be in a single folder with no subfolders, etc., then you're absolutely correct that Daz Studio would be VERY unhappy. :) The folder hierarchy inside the "data" and "Runtime" folders is absolutely necessary if you want DS to be in any way usable.
For going on 30 years I've created a "Runtime" for each project that I work on. Long before Daz Studio existed. Every asset that I will use in "project x" goes into the "project x folder" (along the lines of what OP is asking for) Daz worked this way originally, following the industry standard, but one day Daz went off the reservation, made Daz models proprietary (incompatable with other 3D software). I think they believed the industry would follow them, but instead it lead to no one in Hollywood using Daz. Daz realized that they had made a huge mistake, but still haven't corrected it.

Daz Studio wants you to use it's default structure (Some models must be in this folder or they will not work) that's a problem.

Daz will not let OP point to multiple source folders, it chokes on two. Using software like Maya, I can mount a hard drive (Architecture) and a hard drive (furniture) ... people, transportation... and Maya can use models from all of these source in a single render, or animation. Daz can't.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Daz will not let OP point to multiple source folders, it chokes on two. Using software like Maya, I can mount a hard drive (Architecture) and a hard drive (furniture) ... people, transportation... and Maya can use models from all of these source in a single render, or animation. Daz can't.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but Daz Studio can have multiple, independent trees of content. Maybe it couldn't in the past, but now if you go into Edit >> Preferences, click on the Content Tab and click on Content Manager, you can add additional folders that Daz Studio will look at for both Daz and Poser formats. (They don't even have to be on the same drive.) The additional folders show up in your Content pane, allowing you to find the ".duf" files in each of those trees, and Daz will locate resources in the "data" and "Runtime" sub-folders of each of those trees without any problem. I have one folder hierarchy for DIM-installed items, another entirely separate one for content from Renderosity, a third for Renderotica, a fourth for stuff I've built for myself, etc., etc., etc. I think I have about 8 or 9 different independent folder hierarchies on different spots in my computer.

But, as I said, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant by your comment.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
The additional folders show up in your Content pane
No. You have to manually look for them and add them one by one. If you had 17,000 assets, each installed in a separate folder, this process could take a while. Daz does not magically search all your hard drives and find content for you.

allowing you to find the ".duf" files in each of those trees
.duf files are encrypted, and cannot be edited manually. If the scene data stored in the .duf points to location (a) and you installed the data in location (b) then you may as well deleted that .duf because it is worthless.

Walt Dee

Apr 4, 2017
Final step:
  7. Accept / Accept

Is there an issue installing everything to say, for example, C:\Users\WaltDee\Documents\DAZ 3D\Install Manager\Manifest Archive
Final step:
  7. Accept / Accept

Great! But to be clear, I can install the applications themselves, including Studio, to C:\Users\Me\Documents\DAZ 3D instead of C:/Program Files, correct?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Is there an issue installing everything to say, for example, C:\Users\WaltDee\Documents\DAZ 3D\Install Manager\Manifest Archive

Great! But to be clear, I can install the applications themselves, including Studio, to C:\Users\Me\Documents\DAZ 3D instead of C:/Program Files, correct?
There is a cracked "offline portable" version of Daz Studio 4.10 that does not need to be installed in program files.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017

Basically, you can install any of Daz pretty much anywhere you want. In particular, the executables do NOT have to be under C:\Program Files. (All of my Daz stuff is installed on my D: drive under D:\DAZ3D - that was why I used that in my examples.)

However, there are a number of different directories involved - you need to make sure they don't overlap. Best bet is to look at all the directory options inside the Daz Install Manager.

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017
Basically, you can install any of Daz pretty much anywhere you want. In particular, the executables do NOT have to be under C:\Program Files. (All of my Daz stuff is installed on my D: drive under D:\DAZ3D - that was why I used that in my examples.)

However, there are a number of different directories involved - you need to make sure they don't overlap. Best bet is to look at all the directory options inside the Daz Install Manager.
Sorry to bum the thread but here is where the search function took me.

I am having a similar problem where I've got all the directories in DAZ Install manager all screwed up. Deleting and starting clean still have my edited install paths for everything. Seriously thinking about starting a new Daz Acc just to get rid of my old paths, if that would even work...

Is there anyway you could post a pic of your Install Manager settings? To be precise, the "Downloads" and "Installation" tabs? Cuz I am all screwed up over here trying to find youtube videos about it without success

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Is there anyway you could post a pic of your Install Manager settings? To be precise, the "Downloads" and "Installation" tabs? Cuz I am all screwed up over here trying to find youtube videos about it without success
Sure. Here you go:
Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG

One directory I didn't talk about was the "manifest archive" one - when you install via DIM, you can either keep the install files, or delete them. (I delete them, because I have a different place I file them all away.) But Daz creates a "manifest" file with a a ".dsx" extension and the same name as the IM000XXXXX-01_XXX.zip file. The manifest file records where you installed the content. The idea is that if you get an update, it should go to the same spot as the original, even if you've changed where new stuff goes. So if you're trying to "zero stuff out," you may need to clean that directory as well.

My "Content Manager" settings look like this:
Capture4.PNG

The significant thing is that the first entry is the same as where I have DIM installing its files. (The rest of the directories are places I install stuff into manually, based on where I got it from.)

SnubbLR

Game Developer
Sep 13, 2017
Sure. Here you go:
View attachment 468365 View attachment 468367 View attachment 468368

One directory I didn't talk about was the "manifest archive" one - when you install via DIM, you can either keep the install files, or delete them. (I delete them, because I have a different place I file them all away.) But Daz creates a "manifest" file with a a ".dsx" extension and the same name as the IM000XXXXX-01_XXX.zip file. The manifest file records where you installed the content. The idea is that if you get an update, it should go to the same spot as the original, even if you've changed where new stuff goes. So if you're trying to "zero stuff out," you may need to clean that directory as well.

My "Content Manager" settings look like this:
View attachment 468370

The significant thing is that the first entry is the same as where I have DIM installing its files. (The rest of the directories are places I install stuff into manually, based on where I got it from.)
Thank you so much. That helped!