Ren'Py Is there any way to completely SWAP the font type shown inside Ren'py VNwithout using mods or changing the code myself?

Apr 9, 2021
That's me again (for the second time in two days in a row, W-O-W), I've been bubbling with questions lately!

Is there any """workaround""" to CHANGE completely the font type without breaking too much the VN(s) themselves OR without messing the CORRECT width and height where the "testo" is displayed?

Since I feel I've elaborated too little textually at least above... below I will post all the "visual material" you need to get the MY idea and ALSO I'm giving you a better understanding of what would be the end-result I'm seeking!

1)

Take for example Leap of Faith down here... what I'm trying to recreate HERE is to transpose the same type of font from Leap of Faith to Chasing Sunsets!

LP #1

LeapofFaith_AsOsRfIauN.jpg

Link to mod here

2)

LP #2

With the help of "knowledgeable" tools AND guides from around the internet ( 1) & 2) ) I managed to find the EXACT font(S) I would like to import: 1) Arial Rounded MT Bold (used for the normal text of the dialogues) & 2) Gotham Rounded Bold (used for only the name characters text)... now, how can I swap THEM painless from game 1 (LEAP OF FAITH) to game 2 (CHASING SUNSETS) ?

LeapofFaith_3jp40hvD2M.jpg

In addition since I inserted then the *Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod* in Chasing Sunsets, theoretically i could act essentially from always the same rpy (as the image below confirms ↓) now that I know the fonts' names... tell me, am I on the right track or is there something I'm missing?

atom_DiD4Rlq8W5.png

Like my other two threads before this I thank you for reading, appreciate the answers in advance and wish you a nice evening

Last edited:

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
That's me again (for the second time in two days in a row, W-O-W), I've been bubbling with questions lately!

Is there any """workaround""" to CHANGE completely the font type without breaking too much the VN(s) themselves OR without messing the CORRECT width and height where the "testo" is displayed?

Since I feel I've elaborated too little textually at least above... below I will post all the "visual material" you need to get the MY idea and ALSO I'm giving you a better understanding of what would be the end-result I'm seeking!

1)

Take for example Leap of Faith down here... what I'm trying to recreate HERE is to transpose the same type of font from Leap of Faith to Chasing Sunsets!

LP #1

View attachment 1666113

2)

LP #2

With the help of "knowledgeable" tools AND guides from around the internet ( 1) & 2) ) I managed to find the EXACT font(S) I would like to import: 1) Arial Rounded MT Bold (used for the normal text of the dialogues) & 2) Gotham Rounded Bold (used for only the name characters text)... now, how can I swap THEM painless from game 1 (LEAP OF FAITH) to game 2 (CHASING SUNSETS) ?

View attachment 1666146

In addition since I inserted then the *Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod* in Chasing Sunsets, theoretically i could act essentially from always the same rpy (as the image below confirms ↓) now that I know the fonts' names... tell me, am I on the right track or is there something I'm missing?

View attachment 1666914

Like my other two threads before this I thank you for reading, appreciate the answers in advance and wish you a good day
You're looking for gui.rpy and these:
## The font used for in-game text.
define gui.text_font = "futura medium bt.ttf"

## The font used for character names.
define gui.name_text_font = "futura medium bt.ttf"

Font path is relative to the "game" folder.

Apr 9, 2021
You're looking for gui.rpy and these:
## The font used for in-game text.
define gui.text_font = "futura medium bt.ttf"
I need to extract the .rpa packages to see gui.rpy, right? I guess I should, any tips on not making a "worldwide mess" in the same folder of the game when extracting?

## The font used for character names.
define gui.name_text_font = "futura medium bt.ttf"
Perfect, this AND the previous one contains the values to change! I don't feel like I'm thanking you enough :love:

Font path is relative to the "game" folder.
Obviously I need to match the names and what I put in the rpy file, correct? I guess otherwise I risk to load a font that is not there!

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
I need to extract the .rpa packages to see gui.rpy, right? I guess I should, any tips on not making a "worldwide mess" in the same folder of the game when extracting?
Yep, and no, it will extract files how the dev placed them, it can be a bit of a mess sometimes.
Obviously I need to match the names and what I put in the rpy file, correct? I guess otherwise I risk to load a font that is not there!
You need to have the actual font file somewhere inside the "game" folder, and those values in gui.rpy need to have a path to that file. If it's directly inside "game" folder, just a font file name. If the game doesn't find a font file set there, you'll get an error.

Btw, unren already has all the needed tools to extract archives and rpyc files.

I should charge you by now :p

Apr 9, 2021
Yep, and no, it will extract files how the dev placed them, it can be a bit of a mess sometimes.
No sh**, I'm just afraid that since I have to extract and decompile something will go wrong. So I used THE other TOOL ( ) beforehand because I didn't want to copy and paste the whole folder (with the exe)...

Doing so I discovered that the file guy.rpy is contained right in that rpa highlighted in the picture below (not in the GUI folder in plain form as I hoped) ↓

Since you are a very dedicated modification creator as I see from your catalog, how do you advise me to act here in the extraction?

And to be precise... once I implement the changes why dont' I NEED to recompile and recompress the packages?

P.S: Why did I say that? Well, because with College Kings I realized that I have overwritten some files and the game did not start anymore.

| Actual situation of the folder ↓ |

vvEkbk8MHV.png

You need to have the actual font file somewhere inside the "game" folder, and those values in gui.rpy need to have a path to that file. If it's directly inside "game" folder, just a font file name. If the game doesn't find a font file set there, you'll get an error.
This part I have under control. Because we have the folder with the fonts used in plain form so ALL I need to do is a stupid copy-paste

Btw, unren already has all the needed tools to extract archives and rpyc files.
Of course I knew that, but Unren doesn't allow you to choose to extract and decompile in a custom output folder. As I said before... the fear is to extract everything and decompile it all and then find yourself with some files that get replaced and that no longer allow the game to start!

I should charge you by now :p
How much? I'm willing to pay!

Last edited:

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
No sh**, I'm just afraid that since I have to extract and decompile something will go wrong. So I used THE other TOOL ( ) beforehand because I didn't want to copy and paste the whole folder (with the exe)...

Doing so I discovered that the file guy.rpy is contained right in that rpa highlighted in the picture below (not in the GUI folder in plain form as I hoped) ↓

Since you are a very dedicated modification creator as I see from your catalog, how do you advise me to act here in the extraction?

And to be precise... once I implement the changes why dont' I NEED to recompile and recompress the packages?

P.S: Why did I say that? Well, because with College Kings I realized that I have overwritten some files and the game did not start anymore.

| Actual situation of the folder ↓ |

View attachment 1667070

This part I have under control. Because we have the folder with the fonts used in plain form so ALL I need to do is a stupid copy-paste

Of course I knew that, but Unren doesn't allow you to choose to extract and decompile in a custom output folder. As I said before... the fear is to extract everything and decompile it all and then find yourself with some files that get replaced and that no longer allow the game to start!

How much? I'm willing to pay!
You're overthinking it. Just use the 1st unren option to extract .rpa files. If you see only .rpyc files after that, use the 2nd option, that's it. Files will be unpacked as they are intended to be by the dev, you won't break anything unless you remove some. Rpa archives can even be removed afterward.

You don't need to "compile" anything afterwards because Ren'Py doesn't compile files, they are used as is basically. .rpas are just archives with all those files. When you have both archives and loose files, Ren'Py will use loose files as they take priority.

Apr 9, 2021
You're overthinking it.
Sometimes I overdo it, but I just get so into it... so I do admit that there are times when my "pushy questioning" only complicates things but ALWAYS for the greater good, because I suppose that there are people/videogamers who went through the same tedious steps as I did... and therefore eliminating my doubts is like fixing mistakes for others!

Just use the 1st unren option to extract .rpa files. If you see only .rpyc files after that, use the 2nd option, that's it. Files will be unpacked as they are intended to be by the dev, you won't break anything unless you remove some. Rpa archives can even be removed afterward.
BUT, but, but before the explanation a little comment about this part: Previously with F95zone version 15.1.0 of College Kings (I found myself doing one of these same procedures that we have described in our back and forth [but utilizing UnRen.bat v0.91 by Sam]) I totally messed up just doing the extraction and decompilation. But then some people more judicious and savvy than me have explained to me that the very same developer Undergrad Steve had miscalculated a few things therefore a heavy burden was taken off my shoulders. Only then I figured out that it wasn't my fault to begin with AND all that was really remaining for me to do was to be disappointed :oops:, anyway...

For posterity I will include the approach ahead that has allowed me to address and succesfully fix the problem/issue at the time of writing on Chasing Sunsets (Version 0.5-Steam) ↓

1) Mod (update) of the tool UnRen v.0.11v2(old), Mod (update) of the tool UnRen v.0.11v4(new) + UnRen Windowed with the 1st and 2nd option

2) Modifying the values ahead in the gui.rpy file (by associating to it the files of the exact fonts [in the "plain" fonts folder for the game Chasing Sunsets, maybe yours will be different]) ↓

(IN MY CASE) 2a) | define gui.text_font = "Arial_Rounded_MT_Bold.ttf" & 2b) | define gui.name_text_font = "Gotham_Rounded_Bold.ttf"

3) That's it, then launch the game as you normally would from Steam or from the .exe only

You don't need to "compile" anything afterwards because Ren'Py doesn't compile files, they are used as is basically. .rpas are just archives with all those files. When you have both archives and loose files, Ren'Py will use loose files as they take priority.
Highly informative to hear, and thanks again for the pointers you are giving me, they are very valuable!

Last edited: