Is this the end of fast paced game downloading for free?

darklove

Jan 9, 2018
Soo.. Nopy is shutting down... yess, the only stable and free option with good downloading speed is shutting down( at least for people in Asia). I have been active here in f95 for the past 2 or 3 years and have been downloading games using nopy(mostly) with a stable 6 to 8 Mbps download speed. The other best options for me was google drive and mega(free trial) but most of the game devs don't give google drive option and mega is a paid service.... The other major downloading options like anonfile, gofile, mixdrop doesn't even give me 1 Mbps download speed and it takes 2 or 3 hours to download a 2 or 3 GB game. I want to know is there any other good alternative options and what about using the torrent file? Why many devs don't use that option? Would love to hear what you guys think about this and is there any way to counter this problem, Thank you!

My internet speed test results : 93.3 Mbps download, 88.7 Mbps upload

Reactions: gg123

reso

Dec 2, 2018
Rest in peace, nopy. You were a godsend, as a person that is currently located in Asia.

As for alternatives, I've had decent speeds from Pixeldrain, but that site isn't typically used for long term storage, iirc.

RossoX

Jun 3, 2021
My 2-cents -

Torrents don't scale until and unless you have a seedbox to support it which requires cash to burn.

A torrent has to be consistently seeded by someone, as consumers rarely seed.
Sad but true.
Since it's inception, torrent was a godsend for me and I thought that it would be the de facto method of sharing stuff in the future.
The problem is that this system depends on people, and people are oonga-bonga who doesn't seed, so it doesn't work because it needs that bare minimum level of cooperation.

Reactions: darklove

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
If you're willing to spend $20~ per 180 days, you could use Real-Debrid/All-Debrid and Mega. It basically works around Mega's download limit and doesn't slow you down the more you download. The bonus is that you can hook it up to Kodi for free shows and movies (along with some apps that take it), or you can download torrents (and stream via their servers) via RD/AD and not have to worry about getting strikes or paying for VPNs. Just an alternative.

BlasterChief

Jul 12, 2020
I think the word "free" is somewhat misleading. Few things are free and nopy was payed for by its supporters in money and by the people behind it with their time. What made nopy special - apart from the performance - was that it was non-profit. No subscription, no ads, no weird crypto-mining or analytics scripts. Most other platforms are not just worse, but less trustworthy.
It's sad but understandable that the people behind nopy have decided against releasing the source code under an open source license, at least for the time being. Apparently the code is an example of "organic growth" and would have to be cleaned and optimised prior to a release. Still, there is hope that in time nopy can be replaced by another community driven project.

Spermasahne

Apr 7, 2021
Many "not so legal sites" are using ddownload(.com) - would this be an alternative? Someone got infos about ddownload?

APSabot

Apr 27, 2020
Sad but true.
Since it's inception, torrent was a godsend for me and I thought that it would be the de facto method of sharing stuff in the future.
The problem is that this system depends on people, and people are oonga-bonga who doesn't seed, so it doesn't work because it needs that bare minimum level of cooperation.
When you face real, continuous, targeted persecution by an entity with actual resources you'll understand why smart folks don't seed and ideally don't torrent at all. a VPN only goes so far and again, anyone with actual resources laughs at it. Afterall, that's basically what happened here. Nopy was available, and visible unfortunately in spite of their fairly well maintained access restrictions that still paints a target on you which anyone can exploit if given enough impetus. Paypal being the jackboot lickers they are didn't need much prompting.