Ren'Py Is using AI generated music legal?

Sep 22, 2021
I know you can technically be sued for existing if someone tries hard enough, but what are the realistic risks of me a nobody who is going to make a unpopular hentai game having serious legal action taken against me for using AI music in my game?

follow up question is loudly a good source for this? if not what would be a good source to make AI music?

Quintillian

Apr 15, 2019
As for legal action it's hard to say. Legislation on this seems to be crawling at a snail's pace, but you should always review that the law says in your juristiction.

You may run a greater risk of getting contacted by lawyers if you're profiting from said music, though I doubt it's really going to a problem in practice. I mean, there's some much content being generated already that it seems like a sisyphean task trying to sue everyone, unless you clearly make a ripoff and they find out.

I would say, don't worry about it for now, but definitely check the laws where you live (hopefully with an actual lawyer), and if you publish something, make sure you also publish some way of people to officially reach you like an email, so you have a greater chance of getting a cease and desist instead of outright sued.

As for tools, I've been messing with Udio, lately. It's pretty good in my opinion. Right now it's free, but it's on beta. Once beta is over, they are definitely going to commercialize it.

There's also Suno though I haven't tried.

Good luck your projects!

Reactions: CuteVayne

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
My 2 cents:

The music created with Udio is pretty good, but no-one would believe it is "the real thing" played or sung by an actual artist and mastered by a recording engineer.
Once you get past the initial impression and actually start to pay close attention it's totally obvious that it is faked, in exactly the same way that attempts at "realistic" AI art are nearly always obviously not human created.
The sounds are smeared together, not "separate but overlaid" like real music. The instruments are constantly mutating slightly. The vocals also have a weird overcompressed / quantized quality.

So on that basis, the commercial potential is not there yet. I expect some sort of ai tools will begin to appear and be part of future DAW software, just like generated fill is part of photoshop now.

The next thing I expect to happen is some quality "free" music generation models escape into the wild - currently Udio and similar companies have avoided that, learning from Stability.ai's "mistake", but given the sheer volume of pirated music available in the world, it's only a matter of time before hobbyists reach and surpass the private models. Once that happens, then good luck to the music mafia on putting the cat back into the bag.

Finally: Suno is quite weak compared to Udio. Apparently it used to be better before I had a chance to use it, but word on the streets (random reddit posts lol) is they dramatically cut the model size down to save their cash burn on renting GPU capactiy.

Reactions: Satori6

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
from a discussion us Dev's were having about this issue
Ugh, why you bully me like that. 5 years i've been working on other people's games, but because I didn't push out and then immediately abandon a v0.01 slop, I don't get the badge. (absolutely not related to your game, but i'm sure you know what i mean)

Also that song was fucking hilarious.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Ugh, why you bully me like that. 5 years i've been working on other people's games, but because I didn't push out and then immediately abandon a v0.01 slop, I don't get the badge. (absolutely not related to your game, but i'm sure you know what i mean)
Didn't mean to come off as elitist or something. We just had a long thread on the issue over the last month or so and that example of Suno was epic, so I wanted to share the link.

I created a couple of songs recently in AI and I was very impressed. Sure, a true aficionado will be able to detect it's AI generated but you can make some really decent stuff that is miles above the regular copyright free stuff out there. And it's unique to your project and can be made to be very specific for the mood and other scene requirements.

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
You can always put together one of those HTML "sandboxes" where half of the screens are WIP screens and patreon ads and get a badge. Without being hyperbolic, some of the HTML games I've played can literally be coded overnight.

• Haha
Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
You can always put together one of those HTML "sandboxes" where half of the screens are WIP screens and patreon ads and get a badge. Without being hyperbolic, some of the HTML games I've played can literally be coded overnight.
Yeah I know, but I have too much pride to do something so cynical just for a forum access.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Satori6

CuteVayne

Jun 27, 2024
As for legal action it's hard to say. Legislation on this seems to be crawling at a snail's pace, but you should always review that the law says in your juristiction.

You may run a greater risk of getting contacted by lawyers if you're profiting from said music, though I doubt it's really going to a problem in practice. I mean, there's some much content being generated already that it seems like a sisyphean task trying to sue everyone, unless you clearly make a ripoff and they find out.

I would say, don't worry about it for now, but definitely check the laws where you live (hopefully with an actual lawyer), and if you publish something, make sure you also publish some way of people to officially reach you like an email, so you have a greater chance of getting a cease and desist instead of outright sued.

As for tools, I've been messing with Udio, lately. It's pretty good in my opinion. Right now it's free, but it's on beta. Once beta is over, they are definitely going to commercialize it.

There's also Suno though I haven't tried.

Good luck your projects!
thx bro