VN - Ren'Py - Isabella - Chasing Shadows [Ch. 4.2] [badtimetales]

1. 3.00 star(s)

Alea iacta est

Well...
    I am enjoyed the story, the so-called thriller and the characters.
    Something that is not right are the sex scenes, poorly, swiftly represented.

It seems to be a standard in nowadays "adult" games, emphasis on some game dynamic (sandbox, combats, plot) but very little attention to sex scenes... Probably is better omit fully represented sex if there is no appetite in putting effort in representing it.

Anyway.. I would say not great not terrible, probably will improve.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Jarulf

Reviewed for ch 3.1
    My first attempt at a review here, or rather some disjointed thoughts.

While it is still fairly early in development at ch 3.1 this game impressed me from the start. The game opens with a nice animation, giving us both a hint of the dev's skills and placing us in the story in an effective way. The dev sprinkles each update with a fair amount of nice animations, to mark a scene transition or an important moment, and not just for the sex. Overall, they are well done and fit well, and we are warned not to click through them just before they start. A nice little touch.

The characters are all very well designed visually, the women are very attractive, but badtimestales has clearly spent some time and thought on the men as well, something we don't always see. My only very slight criticism is that, while they are distinct enough not to confuse them, several of the women are 'of a type', cool, slim blondes.
    In general though, we see a fairly wide type of people with some representation of minorities. I'm a middle-aged, straight white guy, so take that comment for what its worth.
    Everyone seems to be pretty fit though, no obesity problem in this world.

One thing I especially noted, though, was that two characters who are closely related, actually resemble each other. I don't think we'll find a family with three sisters where one is a natural blonde, one is a brunette and one is a red-head here...

Central to the story is the mystery surrounding the death of the MC's girlfriend a few years ago (and how this may or may not be connected to other characters we meet), with new facts and details being revealed at a good pace each update. So far it doesn't feel either drawn out or as if we're rushed through things. It seems the dev is staying focused on the main story and mystery, with little in the way of side-stories so far.
    The dialogue is over all good, with only an occasional choice of word that might feel a little off (English isn't my first language, I should note). Descriptive text is mostly the same, in this update there was one place where it felt a bit uninspired, but I'm probably picking at very small nits now.

There is some character development, and especially one character is dealing with their reactions to several events in the story, and an unfolding situation on a personal level. I think this was very well done, with small cues letting us know how they felt. In general, characters give the impression of being well-rounded with both flaws and strengths so far. As with the physical design of them, the dev seems to have put some serious thought into this too.

There was some talk early on in the thread about player agency and forced sex-scenes. It's a difficult balance to get right, and must vary depending on the type of story you are trying to tell. If you are making a harem-type of game, where every girl is a possible LI and there is very little backstory (your father is dead, you move back home to your Landlady and her three daughters...), but when the MC's past and old relationships matter, and the MC has a personality that isn't completely shaped by the player, it does make sense to remove some choices from the player. Different games aim for different playstyles, even under the VN umbrella, and for the most part Isabella - Dark Paths succeeds in this, imo.
    There is an early sex-scene that isn't avoidable, but it makes sense to lay the foundation for the MC's relationships, after that one you always the option to decline.

As you have probably guessed by now, I am enjoying this game a lot, it's one of my favourites currently and for anyone looking for a mystery, with a bit of sexiness thrown in, and characters who are both believable and relatable - do give it a chance.

Edit: Removed comment about a second unavoidable (dependent on earlier choices) sex-scene that was quickly changed to be fully optional.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Impious Monk

This is a solid entry in a subgenre of adult visual novels that is otherwise underperforming--the erotic thriller. Many devs are able to produce an erotic game, but few are able to produce one that can properly be called a thriller.

Badtimetales is one of the best new devs in the adult indie scene. Solid renders, animations, dialogue, and use of music. But where he really shines is on plot. Through chapter 3.1 he's frequently been able to create moments of genuine drama and anticipation. This is where he triumphs over most other devs who mask their inability to tell an engaging story with cheap sexual tropes. This game leaves you actually looking forward to the progression of the plot, not just the progression of your sexual relationships.

There are several mysteries presented in this game, each one leaving you trying to puzzle it out. BTT is doing a good job of keeping the player's interest by releasing answers to some of the questions while continuing to build up the other ones.

Since I'm reviewing chapter 3.1, there are still number of turns ahead. I'm looking forward to seeing what's on the other side of them.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

JSins75

Not only the game but the dev is also great one of the best I've met really promising game and it would be a crime if it doesn't become one of the best of all time
    Good luck dev :)
    Let's start from the story one of my fav things about this masterpiece
    It's not the usual kid who wants sex but it's an older man with a different story and it's very very interesting i liked it
    Then there's the supermodel's mystery that's also really exciting
    The models are great if you ask me my fav it's Valerie Hall the news channel one and everything about her is perfect in my opinion eyes body hairstyle etc
    Also can't forget the wide compatibility of the game it's available on windows android linux mac and perfectly ported to every operating system
    Moving on we have the writing and gotta say that for someone who isn't a native english speaker it's very good the dev did a fantastic job really appreciated he deserves more and will get it eventually i really hope the best for him
    I'm giving 5 stars so he will be motivated and continue the hard work and it will be good for both us (the players and the dev)
    And almost forgot a part i really love
    The movies!
    Yes you read it correctly there are in-game movies of high quality and not every game has got it
    So if you are looking for a VN that is worth it, this is what i suggest you
    Can't wait for the updates !
  5. 5.00 star(s)

supershocked

Enjoyed the background story build up. Anxiously awaiting chapter 3 to really dig in.

Good looking characters with good contrast between them.

Reasonable time between updates. Dev is active on forums and socials to chat about the game whenever.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

UncleFredo

Version CH 2.3

Usually I don’t review a game or VN until it’s been out for some time and has several if not many updates. But from time to time I’ll get a request from a dev to review their game. In this case it was my pleasure to so do.

It’s my custom to play the VN from scratch. Mainly because when play stretches over many months with time between updates I can lose sight as to some of the aspects that make me like a VN.

Very early in my replay I was once again struck by the high quality of the renders and animations. Then I was reminded of the excellent dialog in this VN. Asked by a LI to provide a “tasty and healthy” dinner the response was “Do I look like the love child of Houdini and Gordon Ramsey?”
    Slice it however you want but that’s quality dialog and it persists throughout the VN.

Often I turn off the sound, but the sound track in the VN truly complements the script, situation, and imagery.

While tastes vary, I find the LIs very attractive. They have different styles and I’m sure that some won’t appeal to everyone, but I find something unique to draw me to each of them.

Lewd animations are very well done, perhaps even exceptional in certain cases.

So the story around Isabella unfolds in a natural way. Maybe it’s not ground breaking fiction, but it is well plotted and well written. Threads from various sources start to reveal and then blend themselves into a tapestry of a plot. Then it deepens as the MC’s early history is revealed.

So what can I say? It’s early in the evolution of this VN, but to date it’s simply excellent in all categories. Writing, technical presentation, the LIs, renders, animations all top notch.

It’s five stars now and if the dev can continue to maintain this level of quality we just might have to give it 6.

TL;DR
    Really excellent in all aspects and well worth your time to check it out.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Schubi791

I really like the story and can't wait to see how it will develop.
    The characters are unique, renders are great with smooth animations. The "movies" give a great depth to the game.

I'm looking forward to new updates.
  8. 4.00 star(s)

Kaasje404

After finishing this update (ch. 2.3) i was left wanting more. The graphics are pretty good en the models do look very good.

The story is starting to become more interesting and it was a wise decision to start of with a FWB instead of a girlfriend. A FWB is a great way to add sex scenes early on and it does not make it akward as with a girlfriend. Because appearantly there is this characher that youre supposed to have a conncection with but you just dont know this characther. U dont have this problem with a FWB.

I do think the writing could do with some improvements. For examples as we get to know the characters more, I personally think that adding thoughts of the characters is a good idea to bring your game to the next level. It adds more depth to the characters and can create tension for the player.

Im interested in how the romance with the supermodel will get on, because the other girl does not seem to be the type that shares her man. Hopefully the dev can make it work.

All in all this game deserves more attention and 4 stars is a good rating at this very moment i think, but i see a lot of potential.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

BarbarrossaNA

To say it checks all the boxes is kinda cliché.. but what else can you say if it's the truth? One of the best 'newer' games out and I believe as the updates come it's just going to get better and better. Great writing and renders.. with animations throughout that are just off the charts.. just oozing talent. Tip of the hat to this DEV and I can't wait for more.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

EchoFoxtrot

This has the making of an excellent story driven VN
    To keep the pace and not use up a whole chapter explaining how Frank is in the situation he is in the events are explained in the beginning and to get the story going I understand why.

The story is interesting so far with good potential.
    The story also has some interesting characters in it and slow character development is important and it is well done.
    Alex is one of my personal favorite character types. I read a lot of books (100 or so a year) and an Alex is a huge plus.
    Isabella we are only getting to know so far in ch.2.2

Best of luck "badtimestales" your off to a flying start 5 star easy from me
  11. 5.00 star(s)

jufot

(Ch 2.1) Very promising start to what looks to be an intriguing story. Player agency and narrative quality are always at odds with one another, and it's rare to find a VN developer willing to pick the latter. Luckily, badtimetales does so, to great effect.

So far, we haven't seen much of the titular character, but the one person we have met, Alex, is wonderful. She is sassy, witty, beautiful and three-dimensional. I'm hopeful that Isabella will be likewise interesting. Looking forward to future chapters!
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Growler1961

Very nice renders, animations and writing. Deserving of more support from the community. Developers like badtimetales should be encouraged to continue with support and positive feedback . Highly recommended!
  13. 5.00 star(s)

cate.archer

I love the Story of this Game. The Plot could happen in real life too, in my view.

The Renders are very well done and beautiful. Animations are breathtaking, compared to the animations in other VN, in my opinion. All in all very recommended, try it!
  14. 5.00 star(s)

UnoriginalUserName

I don't usually do reviews, but I felt compelled to do one this time.

The animations are fantastic. Like, really, REALLY good. Don't let the non-lewd ones at the beginning throw you.

The story so far is dark which seems to be a trend for new good games lately, but it's well done and certainly not your typical "Dead dad, fuck your "landlady"" crap, despite the obvious "Dead Girlfriend" joke that could be made.
    I'm hoping a bit of MC backstory is coming soon though. Namely his apparent affluence and knowledge of...maybe Krav Maga?

It's still early days (Ch 2.1), and I would probably rate the game 4.5 if that were an option, because it isn't perfect, but just giving it a 4 would be a disservice (especially with just 5 reviews) so 5 stars it is.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

cib64

Great game, great characters and great story. Really nice work on the animations.

(Ch 2.1)
    Really liked the mystery crime corruption romantic story you created.
    Character's models are great and character's personalities are good too.
    Renders are great and animations are really nice touch putting them in during the story.

Would recommend others to play.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

Resch

Pretty impressive for an initial chapter. Sets up things nicely and has a solid base for a story. Models and animations are very well done, especially the animation. I am a story guy, so I need a decent story for the AVNs and this one has setup a very good base.

Looking forward to new chapters and will update my review as they come out!
  17. 5.00 star(s)

m4pII

A great start in my opinion

There is an interesting serious story, good characters and dialogues, excellent animation (yes, gorgeous movie inserts, but I was especially pleased with the breast animation in the sex scene)

I really liked the characters, and although the harem seems boring and unrealistic to me (especially in such serious stories), this is one of those games in which I do not want to choose between girls.
  18. 4.00 star(s)

Jaango

Surprisingly this was good for a first release. Like dev said yeah this was story focused game. I liked the story plot. Little content afterall it's a first release. Smooth animations. Movie scenes are nice, thanks for the warning otherwise I would have accidentally skipped it. The main 2 love interests are looking good. Looking forward to next updates. This one is worth playing

Ch2.2

This one nicely progressing. Story is more revealing through updates. Waiting to see keep up the good work dev.

+ Story
    + Renders and models
    + Short clips
  19. 4.00 star(s)

Pixieblink

First release for what looks to be like a very promising game. The suspense builds up nicely, without a lot of endless screens of bla bla bla. And the animations are both plentiful and good.

Give it a whirl, I'm already in love with the bartender.

Looking forward to the next update!