It is better to upgrade CPU or GPU for DAZ3D?

Creator13

Starting developer
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2023
Hello. My configuration is intel 12700f + rtx 3070 and 32GB (4x 8GB DDR4 3200@3400). Unfortunately rendering in DAZ3D sometimes takes hours, so when I then want to work on my VN it's just time consuming. I'm thinking about upgrading. Not that it's needed for gaming. My PC is powerful enough for that, but for rendering. Is it better to go to intel 14700k or sacrifice more money to rtx 4070 TI Super? I know that for the GPU, upping from 8GB to 16GB might help. CPU upgrade will help definitelly, but..it is worthly? Currently, fast rendering via GPU only goes fix in a minimum of cases. I will also mention that I have custom water cooling loop for both CPU and GPU, so any upgrade is not just a quick component swap. In the case of the GPU then I probably wouldn't buy the new GPU block anymore.
Thank you

Last edited:

Creator13

Starting developer
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2023
Well. I am not sure. It is possible with nVidia GPU, but only if the scene fit into the Vram, and 8Gb on rtx 3070 can render two naked character max. Two dressed charters or rich scene and GPU is not working and only working is CPU. So, rtx 4070 Ti Super with 16GB would help, but only probably (Ï don´t know) in few more scenarios. And it is much more expensive. But...I am not sure of 14700k is so much better.

fyl3toys

Dec 24, 2021
Unless you are dishing out money for a 4090 I cant see either making that big of a difference.

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
daz should support multiple gpu's try for a new motherboard that can fit a second card

Ashgaroth

Mar 23, 2021
I went from a 4060 to a 4070ti, its miles better! Render time is significantly shorter. And so far i have not ran into not having enough vram. My cpu is a Ryzen 5 5600x.

Edit: If you are mainly upgrading for 3d rendering, it is probably worth looking into the new 4060ti with 16g vram. Cheaper than the 4070ti and probably not much slower rendering times.

Edit2: Also, don't know if you do this or not, but avoid genesis 9 like the plague, they look good, but they use waaay to much vram

Last edited:
Reactions: terminat2

Creator13

Starting developer
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2023
Thank you for your answers. The question of what is more worthwhile for rendering in DAZ3D is the reason for my post. Sure a faster CPU with more cores will be faster..but how much is the question. It is definitely slower than a graphics card. I haven't known for a long time why rendering is sometimes a matter of minutes and sometimes hours. I'm just learning with DAZ3D. After watching various videos and reading various articles, it's clear to me that a lot depends on Vram size. If the scene just doesn't fit in the Vram, the rendering is over CPU. The problem is that I'm afraid that even with 16GB everything won't be via the GPU. And even just the rtx 4060TI costs more than 14700k, and doesn't have much extra over the rtx 3070 besides Vram.

Creator13

Starting developer
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2023
So, Today I bought rtx 4070 TI Super from Gigabyte so I hope it wasn´t wasted 900 EUR :)

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
Ï don´t know why my 1080 renders take hours :( But SLI is no more a thing nowdays...
This is not SLI and the guy in the video is using rtx 3070s which you have, most 3d software has option to use multiple gpu's and even render farms. Doctor pinkcake from being a dik for example has a render farm consisting of (i think) 4 PCs with 3 rtx 4090 each.

In youtube you can find multiple videos of people rendering on multiple 4090s.

Reactions: Creator13

Creator13

Starting developer
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2023
Well, I must say...it is much better - much quicker for rendering. I don´t know if it is thanks to the 16GB vs 8GB or that it is much stronger GPU (in some test 30%, at some 50%), but it work fast :)