a

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
Dev Update 1
I have setup a nice baseline for the json modding system. At the moment, I can implement all the codes for the skill groups, skills, attributes, and auras. of a slave through a mod I named "core". this mod will be packaged with the game on release.

Things to Note
All the mods will be placed in a folder called mods. If you have ever played Rimworld you can compare the modding system I plan to have to that. Where the main code for the game will be in a mod named "core". then, any mods that add content into the game will be added in through other mods. These mods can then be enabled and disabled in game so you can choose what mods you want to have when you play.

I have also implemented a basic logging system, so that way if there is an error in any of the json files, you can know exactly what mod is causing it, and exactly which file is causing. This will making solving in json related issues when creating mods extremely simple.

What's Next

Next, I plan on implementing functions, and conditional statements into the json modding library. This will provide me the tools to begin programming in slave training, and other activities using the json modding system.

thehyena

Jul 20, 2017
Someone named Gfrust started a jack 2 remake in godot some time ago.
Sadly it didnt get very far.
Hope your version makes it :)

Reactions: SeiuRose

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
If I can add a pipe dream suggestion...

Clothes.

If you add visible clothes to the game, I would be delighted
This would be very difficult to pull off. As all the images currently for jack are just random hentai images. The best I could do with the current images is create a crude overlay. The only way to make this possible would be to change all the images for the girls in the game.

I can't really do anything artwork design, I am just a programmer ;(. I will definitely think about a way to make this possible though if the artwork surfaces to make it a possible thing.

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
Someone named Gfrust started a jack 2 remake in godot some time ago.
Sadly it didnt get very far.
Hope your version makes it :)
Thank you! I am currently very passionate about the project, so I am having fun working on it. Posting these dev updates is for me as well, cause it lets me compile all the progress I put together into one place. This shows me that the project is actually going some where, which is really motivating.

Reactions: qwertyu12359

thehyena

Jul 20, 2017
Related to what DarkNix said, I think Gfrust was trying to make a paperdoll for the girls with artwork extracted from custom reido V.
Not sure he realised what he is asking. If you have 10 girls and 10 outfits, you would need to draw 100 images of the combinations.
But I dont want to kill his hope, art updates could be implemented at the end with mods. Off the top of my head, someone could make girls in each outfit with that japanese paperdoll flash app

Personally, I think it would be better not to get sidetracked with new art. Even tho you have all the game mechanic details and ready-to-use art from the original its still gonna take time to puzzle it together from scratch.

Jack is a great game with awesome mechanics and a unity remake would do it justice :geek:

beardybeard

Sep 27, 2018
Not sure he realised what he is asking. If you have 10 girls and 10 outfits, you would need to draw 100 images of the combinations.
But I dont want to kill his hope, art updates could be implemented at the end with mods. Off the top of my head, someone could make girls in each outfit with that japanese paperdoll flash app
I do assume that Unity might be able to render images on-the-fly, given that basic body image and fitting clothes sprites are available. The trick would be to fetch the art, e.g. if you have 5 lower body types, 5 panties and 15 different poses, you`d have to store (and draw, ofc) 375 panty sprites so to be able to use them. Still, using a unified graphics system instead of mash of random hentai images, all styled differently, would be a real improvement.

Linkin88

Jul 5, 2018
If the buggy english/russian qsp-Code can migrate in a transparent Unitiy-enviroment is this a huge improvement of the current situation, thats a great idea!
When you need help with the coding or bughuntig could a public github-repository be usefull.

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
If the buggy english/russian qsp-Code can migrate in a transparent Unitiy-enviroment is this a huge improvement of the current situation, thats a great idea!
When you need help with the coding or bughuntig could a public github-repository be usefull.
I do assume that Unity might be able to render images on-the-fly, given that basic body image and fitting clothes sprites are available. The trick would be to fetch the art, e.g. if you have 5 lower body types, 5 panties and 15 different poses, you`d have to store (and draw, ofc) 375 panty sprites so to be able to use them. Still, using a unified graphics system instead of mash of random hentai images, all styled differently, would be a real improvement.
Yes, I would be open to the idea if the artwork was available, but have 0 knowledge on digital artwork. So I don't believe I could create these sprites.

Good idea, I will setup a GitHub when I get more developed baseline in place.

Reactions: Linkin88

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
Dev Update 1.5

While working on the next stage of the JSON modding library I encountered a significant limitation when using the base Unity JSONUtility class. I decided to switch over to newtonsoft.json which allows me to have 100% flexibility in how I use the json.

I will need to recode what I have now, but that shouldn't be to difficult as I just need to change a few lines to make it compatible with the new library, and this will ensure that I have no library based limitations in the future.

The reason I am posting this, is I want to be as public with the development as possible so people know where I am at, and where the project is heading at any moment in time.

If you have any questions about the change, or any questions at all. Feel free to reply or shoot me a PM.

Reactions: qwertyu12359

beardybeard

Sep 27, 2018
As you have mentioned before, you are building a code base to support easier usage of external reference data (like slave skills). I suppose there is a lot of data inside the game code that would have to be pulled out and restructurized - actions, variables, you name it. Maybe it would be worthwhile if you could point us with the sources of this data inside the game code and the schema you are going to use, so we could potentially start saving it to neat .json files for you to pick up and use?

Sadly, I`m not Unity person, but I assume not every task you have to finish in order to do this remake is about coding; point is that maybe community could assist with some of those.

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
As you have mentioned before, you are building a code base to support easier usage of external reference data (like slave skills). I suppose there is a lot of data inside the game code that would have to be pulled out and restructurized - actions, variables, you name it. Maybe it would be worthwhile if you could point us with the sources of this data inside the game code and the schema you are going to use, so we could potentially start saving it to neat .json files for you to pick up and use?

Sadly, I`m not Unity person, but I assume not every task you have to finish in order to do this remake is about coding; point is that maybe community could assist with some of those.
At this moment in time, I don't have a refined structure for the json just yet. So I would feel bad asking for people to patch things into json then I change the format. Once I have a definite flow, I would definitely be interested in doing this.

My suggestion is to make your own combat system, since the one of JackONine wasn't very good.
I don't really have any inspiration for a combat system of than jack-o-nine-tails. Do you have a combat system you would be more interested in seeing in the game? I would be happy to take a look.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
I don't really have any inspiration for a combat system of than jack-o-nine-tails. Do you have a combat system you would be more interested in seeing in the game? I would be happy to take a look.
Hunnie Pop! (kidding :BootyTime:).

I don't have many references on turn-based combat. But Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX had satisfying combat system.
It would mean just one health bar, as opposed to the weird 3 hearts. No invocations, but special attacks, that are available as an equivalant to the "limit break". The healthbars would be balanced in order to offer challenge, and the weapons would all have used against specific enemies.

That, or a Pokemon clone, with somewhat animated healthbars. Exp bar too. The game already has fighting levels (I think there are 10 variables, like for mood). You could make it so that the stronger the ennemy, the more experience progresses, until a new level is achieved. You can acquire special skills only at a certain level, by training with the NPC at the coliseum. You'd have a "flee" button that can only work depending on certain conditions (fitness, weight of the armor, speed of the enemy...). And ropes instead of pokeball to try and capture the Fiend in the fog (and why not make some girls in the fog fight against you, so rescuing them wouldn't be the only way of capturing one).

Of course, you have other priorities right now :) But when you'll tackle the combat system, that could be ideas to keep in mind.

beardybeard

Sep 27, 2018
At this moment in time, I don't have a refined structure for the json just yet. So I would feel bad asking for people to patch things into json then I change the format. Once I have a definite flow, I would definitely be interested in doing this.
Well, it`d be easier to programmatically transform one schema to another, if the original schema is well-structured. But anyway, that (as well as deciding it`s time to play with the data) is entirely up to you - I just meant to remind that you`ll find assistance around here if needed.

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
Well, it`d be easier to programmatically transform one schema to another, if the original schema is well-structured. But anyway, that (as well as deciding it`s time to play with the data) is entirely up to you - I just meant to remind that you`ll find assistance around here if needed.

At this point in the process, I would be more open to input on the actual schema itself. Here is an example of what it is like to make a class for the game. I will explain what each line does:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This is the basic structure of what any JSON file would look like inside of a mod.
1. the unique_id is basically an identifier, in this case I am creating the class called "skill".
2. the edit_type is the type of thing I am editing, or adding in this instance. (I will add more of these in the future, there are only two edit types which are CLASS, and CLASS_INSTANCE)
3. conflict_type is how conflicts are handled between mods I currently have 3 types (REPLACE, APPEND, LOSE)
REPLACE: replaces whatever data is found with the new data
APPEND: attempts to add the new data with the old data, combining them
LOSE: keeps the old data instead of the new data
4. includes is just a reference to multiple premade abstract classes inside of the actually modding library itself. For example, right now there are two classes in it. UNIQUE_VALUE, and NAMEABLE. NAMEABLE.
UNIQUE_VALUE just gives it the field unique_value without you having to retype it.
NAMEABLE gives it the field unique_value, and the field name.
5. edits are what we are editing inside the class. In this instance, we are adding 3 variables. range, levels, and value.
range: is a field the field I am creating. CONST means that the value doesn't change between classes, and it will always be the same. '||' is just a separator so
levels: stores a list of levels. LEVEL is a backend class that I created that stores a RANGE, and a NAMEABLE.
value: see how this one has DYNAMIC? DYNAMIC means that its value can change between instances of the object.

Things to note (if you are familar with programming):
  • CONST basically means static
  • DYNAMIC means non-static
  • includes is like extending a class
  • || is basically just a way of separating field information
  • the order of information for each field goes scope ?-> array_declaration -> type

Other information, I also wanted to post an update on the debug logging information. Some people were afraid of using json again due to the substantial issues it is causing in the current version of jack. I want to settle these issues down by showing exactly how easy it is to identify. Here is a basic log for each time the program is started.

Here is what it looks like when all goes well:

Here is an example where I have an error in the file skill_group.json:

the json file:

Debug Output now shows that it found an error on that line:

Please let me know if you guys want me to change anything about this current setup. I may still change a few things in it, but this is starting to look like the basic structure I am heading towards.

beardybeard

Sep 27, 2018
At this point in the process, I would be more open to input on the actual schema itself.
Looks decent. Got two questions, though; first is whether you really want to handle the classes separate from the code. I get it that it`s useful for modders, but unless it`s possible to also define the class functions from outside, it appears to be somewhat limited whilst adding some headache to you as to how to support this. Given that you plan on using repository, I guess it`d be easier to define classes inside of the code. (Please let me know if I`m missing something here.)
Second is regarding format; json is all good, but from my experience yml proved to be just a bit more wieldy when it comes to manual edit. I`m coding on Python though, so it could be just my indent love taking effect.

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
Looks decent. Got two questions, though; first is whether you really want to handle the classes separate from the code. I get it that it`s useful for modders, but unless it`s possible to also define the class functions from outside, it appears to be somewhat limited whilst adding some headache to you as to how to support this. Given that you plan on using repository, I guess it`d be easier to define classes inside of the code. (Please let me know if I`m missing something here.)
Second is regarding format; json is all good, but from my experience yml proved to be just a bit more wieldy when it comes to manual edit. I`m coding on Python though, so it could be just my indent love taking effect.
JSON is working fine so far so I see no reason to switch to YML.

I do plan on creating functions, I have an idea I will be implementing over the next fews day that will allow me to create functions for the classes.

It actually not as difficult as you would think to create the code using Json. I just need to put together my Json compiler.