japanese games in linux

deppenjaeger

May 23, 2017
hi, ive got a problem. i recently changed my os to manajaro linux. every game up till now runs smoothly (besides the usual unreal engine ones..) but my problem is more about
the japanese games. like "female knight rasia" somehow the game starts but cant load a single graphic. i remember something about localisation from windows,and using an archiver that could extract with japanese codecs... but how do i go about that in linux?

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
On Ubuntu I must install the localization files:
sudo locale-gen ja_JP.UTF-8
and then, when I play a Japanese game for Windows, I must set the LANG parameter, e.g.:
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine WINEARCH=win32 LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 wine "C:/Games/eratohoK/Emuera-Anchor.exe"

But Manjaro is based on Arch: iirc you must open /etc/locale.gen and uncomment # ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8, then save and launch sudo locale-gen

See if this helps:

or ask also in this thread:
https://f95zone.to/threads/playing-on-linux-tutorials-tools-and-help.19523/

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Downloaded the game and tried it. It is shipped with an English translation as well as in Japanese.

Like all RPG MV Maker games it runs natively on Linux using the Linux RPG MV Launcher.

As soon as you try to start the game you will get a "loading Error" message.
1596441688431.png
The error message says: "There is a problem with this file in img/tilesets/blablabla". Check the file and find out why it cause a loading error. The file is either missing or just named wrongly (most of the times it is case sensitive thing.. lower or upper case).

Oh look, wild mosaics! Problem: we need to name the file exact the same as in the error message with the Japanese letters (they look like Hanzi (Chinese) to me!). However, I can't read them and I can't write them. So, we need to find the right game file which access tilesets. For that check www/data/Tilesets.json.
1596441938253.png

Hehehe, what did we find there... the file name we need! Simple copy the text and rename our mosaic file!
1596442345978.png
1596442509063.png

Either restart the game or click on "Retry" and voila - the game runs.
1596442574425.png
1596442609847.png

This should work with the Japanese version too!

Note: As Arch user (Manjaro) you no longer can use the nw.js file shipped with the Linux Launcher. You need to download a newer version - here:
Other Arch user reported that games constantly freeze with the latest available version of nw.js but work without problem with version 0.44.

Have fun, du Depp :p

Reactions: guysualk