Nadore

Mar 26, 2017
October 26th, 2020: Progress Report and Surprise Dev Log (again??)
Hey everyone, sleepy Rem here with itchy eyes with this week's Progress Report!

I spent the last week working a bit on the Glory Hole as well as fixing some bugs with the Glory Hole and the sex position changeup thing I mentioned last week. And speaking of BUGS, turns out the pleasure damage issue with the Glory Hole I was talking about last week was just a display bug. I realized that when I was doing more tests and bugfixing with the sex position changeup thing and saw that the numbers were abnormally low only during the Glory Hole battle. Karryn's pleasure damage might even be too high now with all the new changes, but well, we'll see.

Anyway, the main thing I was, and am, focused on currently is the big overhaul I hinted about last week. While working on the Glory Hole and bugfixes and other stuff, I've been agonizing on whether to go through with my idea or not. And I'm going to go through with it.
The core idea is based off of three things:
  1. I want Karryn's descend into being a slut not be so fast, and more gradual. You might be screaming, 'What Rem, are you fucking crazy? Isn't it slow enough already compared to other games??' but hear me out later.
  2. I want _____ to matter more.
  3. More _____ in order to increase Karryn's sex skill damage. Since my original worry is now known to be based off a display bug, this point basically no longer matters, but it was always a minor reason compared to point 1 and 2, especially point 1.
Alright alright, so what is _____? It's Desires. I'm overhauling the Desires system. It's not a complete, full overhaul though. There's still the five Desires, sexual stuff will still increase Karryn's Desires, and certain amount of Desire is still required before Karryn will do this or that.
But instead what I'm changing are the following:
  1. Instead of having a max Desire value of 100, Karryn will start off with a max Desire of 50 for Mouth, Boobs, Pussy and Butt. And a max Desire of TEN for Cock.
  2. Certain Passives will gradually increase Karryn's Max Desire, and Max Desire can go beyond 100.
  3. Desires increases and decreases slower as it gets higher. It's much easier to go from 0 Desire to 50 Desire compared to 75 Desire to 100 Desire as an example.
  4. The Desire Requirements will remain static. Currently, it changes depending on the situation, such as if Karryn is working in a side job then the requirements will be higher, or if Karryn is in a vulnerable positions then the requirements will be lower.
  5. The Desire Requirements will be changed to generally be at 50 for the first tier of actions (light petting), 75 for the second tier of actions (heavy petting), and 100 for the final tier of actions (sex).
  6. Currently most passives reduce the Desire Requirement of this or that. Instead, most of them will now instead increase Max Desire or speed up Desire Gain.
  7. A secret. I thought about revealing this here, but as I will be recommending people to start a fresh playthrough to try out all the new changes to game progression, it would be wrong of me to rob those people the joy of seeing the new, changed effects of some Passives. But this #7 thing is a pretty big change, so in the changelogs I will be telling people who don't want to start a new playthrough to go look at the new effects of certain Passives.
Anyway, so what #4, #5, and #6 will hopefully do, is make it easier to learn the Desire system. Right now since the Desire Requirements change all the time, even in the same battle, you're kinda of beholden to going to Status menu and looking at the Desire tab to see why something isn't going as planned. It's just bad for learning. Instead now it will for example just be, 'Okay, I need Karryn's Mouth Desire at 100 and Cock Desire at 75, and that's one of the condition for giving a blowjob. And if she's still not willing to do it and I'm not equipping something that changes the Desire Requirements for a blowjob, then there's something else I'm missing but I'm always going to be 100% sure that it's unrelated to her Desires.'
And of course, currently veteran Karryns would just push all their Desires to 100, and then never give another thought to it. Which brings me to #1, #2, and #3, as well as how I mentioned earlier that I want Karryn's descend into being a slut to be more gradual.

This also goes with the new changes I talked about on not having Karryn start off with Cautious Stance (and by the way, the Wait Out Pleasure skill will also cost Energy now). Karryn at the start, should not be willing to just have sex with a random dude. That's the whole premise. It's the gap between Karryn at the start, and your current super slutty Karryn that has guys lining up in the bathroom to fuck her and cum inside her, that makes the journey so rewarding. The premise of Karryn's Prison, is that this isn't a game with virgin protagonist who then goes and has full on penetration sex in the first ten minutes.
But currently as it stands, if you know what you're doing then you can still make a fresh Karryn in the first couple of battles: lose her first kiss, give a random guy head, and allow some guy to finger her. It's just too fast. The thrill of corrupting something, is if it's not quickly corrupted. The image I want is of Karryn literally succumbing to increasing desire. First she will only allow light petting, but then she begins to think that maybe some more risky petting is fine too. After some time, she's beginning to entertain the idea of sex and we all know where that leads to.

To me, I'm perfectly fine with most people's first blind playthrough not leading to sex in the Level One. Level One was always supposed to be the tutorial experience. Unless Karryn is grinding for some reason, Karryn most likely will not even learn Taunt before the end of Level One, and most definitely should not unlock Cockiness yet. It's only starting with Level Two that side jobs and much more Edicts are available, you have better income, there's new enemies with new tricks and old enemies with surprisingly new stats and so on that really opens up the game.

Karryn is 100% intended to be able to stay a virgin and relatively pure and still beat the game. It's a super hard task, but it's suppose to be possible. So one or two accidents should not put her in a full on gangbang. But what it should do, is make her more vulnerable if she keeps getting into accidents and fuck ups and to me, that's fucking hot and the whole point of the Desires and Passives systems in the first place.

I have a confession though. While I had always talked about how I plan and design things out for the full game, even if only a part of that stuff is only available in the current released version or whatever, the shortcoming of the current Desire system is obviously an unconscious decision on my part to make it easy for Karryn to have sex in the very first version of the game when Level One was the only content available and I really, really wanted to show off the battle fuck system that I spend months creating. It's a human weakness to want to impress, even at the cost of a slightly worse design.

What I'm about to do, is actually the first time I'm going to be changing the effects of most Passives. Because when I say overhaul the Desire system, it really means going into each Passive and changing most of them. Like, most of these Passives are stuff I coded into the game two years ago and have remained untouched because I had planned them all out from the very beginning. So it's going to be a massive amount of work to go back and change them. Which is why I agonized on whether or not to just leave it all alone. But since the Glory Hole battle requires so much art to be drawn by Sachinama AND I managed to implement tooltips into the game, I figured now is the only realistic time to do it if I'm ever going to do it.

The ultimate end goal is to make the early game progression more gradual and immersive, and also more newbie-friendly from the Desire system being easier to learn and process. This might? seem like a disappointing, maybe even unnecessary decision on my part? for someone who already has a fully slutted out Karryn, but as always for everything I try to do, I think it leads to a better game, and also a much better game for someone who has yet to play Karryn's Prison.

And I hope this does lead to a better game experience for current and future new players!

25angryblackmen

Feb 10, 2018
Seems sleeping removes liquids, unless you hard set the liquid amounts in RemtairyLiquids.js, regardless of removing or commenting out the lines in RemtairyKarryn.js

Scoured the discord for a good bit, and they're recently saying the same. Here's to hoping one of us figures it out, or it's restored in future builds.

TheSinful

Jun 11, 2018
how do i mess with stats?
Upload your save to saveeditonline.com and just increase all of Karryn's stats. Again, idk what corresponds to what. Though when I set everything to one for kicks, she only got like 20 desire from Release Desire abilities and rarely gained less than 15 pleasure from anything (highest I saw was 191 pleasure, which let me get the triple orgasm passive since I was using Resist Orgasm skill)

drchainchair2

Mar 28, 2020
Seems sleeping removes liquids, unless you hard set the liquid amounts in RemtairyLiquids.js, regardless of removing or commenting out the lines in RemtairyKarryn.js

Scoured the discord for a good bit, and they're recently saying the same. Here's to hoping one of us figures it out, or it's restored in future builds.
It isn't hard to not have sleeping do that. There's 2 calls to cleanUpLiquids that happen, once in setBedSleepingMapPose and the other in advanceNextDay. Maybe another one, I only spent like 2 minutes looking at it and didn't test this particular case. Either way, hooking into cleanUpLiquids and blocking that function execution is sufficient.

Just note that if you universally block cleanUpLiquids you can break things in certain poses, like starting side jobs.

Maybe I should add that in and have it be random chance based on fatigue and slut levels. My mod already doesn't clean up after defeat scenes.

May 18, 2020
Not sure how I feel about this weekly post. I spent around 70 hours with the game already and I don't mind that it is changing, that is the point of it being in alpha and development. I just don't have a clear picture in front of me about how I should approach a playthrough with the intent of accessing as much content as possible with a fresh Karryn. Gettin to slut builds slower is good imo. But last time I checked the fights are not easy with a fresh character even on the first 2 levels. And looking at level 3 even with high control, you have big teams against you as if the idea of high order = smaller enemy groups have been ditched. Can't wait for the full game, and after a vanilla playthrough, I ll mod the shit out of it.

Reactions: Beats9821

elistraee

Feb 25, 2017
wait, does this mean there is an overhaul on the system and = slower development of the gloryhole, thus the slower release of the next update?

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
wait, does this mean there is an overhaul on the system and = slower development of the gloryhole, thus the slower release of the next update?
Well as far as I read it, this is done, because the amount of Art Assets that needs to be drawn for the Glory Hole, gives him the time to do the overhaul of the Desire System in the first place. We will have to wait and see, if this means a slower release. I would still bet on December, because my guess is, they want to do the same thing as last year, in which they got a release out before they took a christmas break, so everybody had a new version to play. But we will see.

liubeizhao

Mar 28, 2020
looks like, the next version wont come in Novemeber, i belive Dev will give a head up on release date around 1 month ahead.

Shinobikun

Oct 5, 2017
Man, reading the newest update makes me excited as hell for the next version, since the playstyle he wants to promote is exactly the playstyle I love the most. But I can already see (and somewhat understand) people being a bit pissed that more time is going into balancing instead of gameplay.

It will also make playing through the old levels somewhat of a new experience, which is good for us veterans.

Although, one thing I don't like about the desire system which remains unchanged, is that it's 'too easy' to keep Karryn from getting into sex mode by just keeping the cock desire low. Sure you're gonna get groped and kissed, but she is never 'forced' into sex in regular battles unless you purposely don't use the 'Reduce Cock Desire' skill. I would honestly rather have the cock desire be removed and each position be solely managed by the appropiate desire. That way when Karryn's desire start getting out of control, the player is actually unable to keep her from succumbing to one of them.

As it stands, most of my Karryn's first time on any position was during a defeat scene. Positions during fights only happened at later points, when you start getting super high pleasure damage and the continous orgasms make it hard to keep cock desire low. But at that point Karryn is already very corrupted anyways.

Maybe that's how its supposed to work, but I always found it a little strange.

Bawunga

Dec 19, 2019
Dunno how everyone else feels, but my main gripe currently is that getting the specific scene you want is at times incredibly frustrating at times for what seems to be no good reason. Like the guy in front of you just spends 30 fucking turns not doing the action you're trying to get him to do. The various sex skills kind of counteract that but unlocking them is kind of grindy at first and is itself locked behind random chance. Being able to simply buy the skills through edicts would be nice.

Shinobikun

Oct 5, 2017
Dunno how everyone else feels, but my main gripe currently is that getting the specific scene you want is at times incredibly frustrating at times for what seems to be no good reason. Like the guy in front of you just spends 30 fucking turns not doing the action you're trying to get him to do. The various sex skills kind of counteract that but unlocking them is kind of grindy at first and is itself locked behind random chance. Being able to simply buy the skills through edicts would be nice.
Correct me if I'm wrong but...
The reasons for this is that each enemy that spawns has only a certain set of sex moves that they are able to perform, so if you want Karryn to blow a random thung, and that thug only has a handjob and sex move, you're out of luck.

Bawunga

Dec 19, 2019
No I know that, what I mean is that even when I have the right enemy, and the right desires, I meet all the requirements, it frequently feels like certain actions still simply don't trigger. For example, at one point I was trying to unlock the handjob skill against those guards, and just could not for the life of me get the handjob scene to start, despite meeting all the aforementioned reqs. I really don't think I had missed anything, and yet, nada.

Not to mention how the scenes kept getting interrupted by other actors starting different actions. Really irritating.

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
No I know that, what I mean is that even when I have the right enemy, and the right desires, I meet all the requirements, it frequently feels like certain actions still simply don't trigger. For example, at one point I was trying to unlock the handjob skill against those guards, and just could not for the life of me get the handjob scene to start, despite meeting all the aforementioned reqs. I really don't think I had missed anything, and yet, nada.

Not to mention how the scenes kept getting interrupted by other actors starting different actions. Really irritating.
Well using Guards to unlock stuff, is generally a bad idea, since they use almost every single Sex Position in the game and it is impossible to tell, what Guard in the fight prefers what. You can try to get handjob of a Guard as much as you want, if the Guard wants a Blowjob, he wants a Blowjob. Instead find an enemy Type, that has only one Sex Position that also allows Handjob at the same time.

drchainchair2

Mar 28, 2020
Although, one thing I don't like about the desire system which remains unchanged, is that it's 'too easy' to keep Karryn from getting into sex mode by just keeping the cock desire low. Sure you're gonna get groped and kissed, but she is never 'forced' into sex in regular battles unless you purposely don't use the 'Reduce Cock Desire' skill. I would honestly rather have the cock desire be removed and each position be solely managed by the appropiate desire. That way when Karryn's desire start getting out of control, the player is actually unable to keep her from succumbing to one of them.
It's very possible to increase the willpower cost of each use of suppress desires. Not just on the same turn, like it already does for willpower skills, but also within the same battle. Desires can also carry over between battles based on current pleasure. So if Karryn is at 95%, it makes sense that they would decay little in the next one.

TheNextOne

Apr 21, 2020
October 26th, 2020: Progress Report and Surprise Dev Log (again??)
Hey everyone, sleepy Rem here with itchy eyes with this week's Progress Report!

I spent the last week working a bit on the Glory Hole as well as fixing some bugs with the Glory Hole and the sex position changeup thing I mentioned last week. And speaking of BUGS, turns out the pleasure damage issue with the Glory Hole I was talking about last week was just a display bug. I realized that when I was doing more tests and bugfixing with the sex position changeup thing and saw that the numbers were abnormally low only during the Glory Hole battle. Karryn's pleasure damage might even be too high now with all the new changes, but well, we'll see.

Anyway, the main thing I was, and am, focused on currently is the big overhaul I hinted about last week. While working on the Glory Hole and bugfixes and other stuff, I've been agonizing on whether to go through with my idea or not. And I'm going to go through with it.
The core idea is based off of three things:
  1. I want Karryn's descend into being a slut not be so fast, and more gradual. You might be screaming, 'What Rem, are you fucking crazy? Isn't it slow enough already compared to other games??' but hear me out later.
  2. I want _____ to matter more.
  3. More _____ in order to increase Karryn's sex skill damage. Since my original worry is now known to be based off a display bug, this point basically no longer matters, but it was always a minor reason compared to point 1 and 2, especially point 1.
Alright alright, so what is _____? It's Desires. I'm overhauling the Desires system. It's not a complete, full overhaul though. There's still the five Desires, sexual stuff will still increase Karryn's Desires, and certain amount of Desire is still required before Karryn will do this or that.
But instead what I'm changing are the following:
  1. Instead of having a max Desire value of 100, Karryn will start off with a max Desire of 50 for Mouth, Boobs, Pussy and Butt. And a max Desire of TEN for Cock.
  2. Certain Passives will gradually increase Karryn's Max Desire, and Max Desire can go beyond 100.
  3. Desires increases and decreases slower as it gets higher. It's much easier to go from 0 Desire to 50 Desire compared to 75 Desire to 100 Desire as an example.
  4. The Desire Requirements will remain static. Currently, it changes depending on the situation, such as if Karryn is working in a side job then the requirements will be higher, or if Karryn is in a vulnerable positions then the requirements will be lower.
  5. The Desire Requirements will be changed to generally be at 50 for the first tier of actions (light petting), 75 for the second tier of actions (heavy petting), and 100 for the final tier of actions (sex).
  6. Currently most passives reduce the Desire Requirement of this or that. Instead, most of them will now instead increase Max Desire or speed up Desire Gain.
  7. A secret. I thought about revealing this here, but as I will be recommending people to start a fresh playthrough to try out all the new changes to game progression, it would be wrong of me to rob those people the joy of seeing the new, changed effects of some Passives. But this #7 thing is a pretty big change, so in the changelogs I will be telling people who don't want to start a new playthrough to go look at the new effects of certain Passives.
Anyway, so what #4, #5, and #6 will hopefully do, is make it easier to learn the Desire system. Right now since the Desire Requirements change all the time, even in the same battle, you're kinda of beholden to going to Status menu and looking at the Desire tab to see why something isn't going as planned. It's just bad for learning. Instead now it will for example just be, 'Okay, I need Karryn's Mouth Desire at 100 and Cock Desire at 75, and that's one of the condition for giving a blowjob. And if she's still not willing to do it and I'm not equipping something that changes the Desire Requirements for a blowjob, then there's something else I'm missing but I'm always going to be 100% sure that it's unrelated to her Desires.'
And of course, currently veteran Karryns would just push all their Desires to 100, and then never give another thought to it. Which brings me to #1, #2, and #3, as well as how I mentioned earlier that I want Karryn's descend into being a slut to be more gradual.

This also goes with the new changes I talked about on not having Karryn start off with Cautious Stance (and by the way, the Wait Out Pleasure skill will also cost Energy now). Karryn at the start, should not be willing to just have sex with a random dude. That's the whole premise. It's the gap between Karryn at the start, and your current super slutty Karryn that has guys lining up in the bathroom to fuck her and cum inside her, that makes the journey so rewarding. The premise of Karryn's Prison, is that this isn't a game with virgin protagonist who then goes and has full on penetration sex in the first ten minutes.
But currently as it stands, if you know what you're doing then you can still make a fresh Karryn in the first couple of battles: lose her first kiss, give a random guy head, and allow some guy to finger her. It's just too fast. The thrill of corrupting something, is if it's not quickly corrupted. The image I want is of Karryn literally succumbing to increasing desire. First she will only allow light petting, but then she begins to think that maybe some more risky petting is fine too. After some time, she's beginning to entertain the idea of sex and we all know where that leads to.

To me, I'm perfectly fine with most people's first blind playthrough not leading to sex in the Level One. Level One was always supposed to be the tutorial experience. Unless Karryn is grinding for some reason, Karryn most likely will not even learn Taunt before the end of Level One, and most definitely should not unlock Cockiness yet. It's only starting with Level Two that side jobs and much more Edicts are available, you have better income, there's new enemies with new tricks and old enemies with surprisingly new stats and so on that really opens up the game.

Karryn is 100% intended to be able to stay a virgin and relatively pure and still beat the game. It's a super hard task, but it's suppose to be possible. So one or two accidents should not put her in a full on gangbang. But what it should do, is make her more vulnerable if she keeps getting into accidents and fuck ups and to me, that's fucking hot and the whole point of the Desires and Passives systems in the first place.

I have a confession though. While I had always talked about how I plan and design things out for the full game, even if only a part of that stuff is only available in the current released version or whatever, the shortcoming of the current Desire system is obviously an unconscious decision on my part to make it easy for Karryn to have sex in the very first version of the game when Level One was the only content available and I really, really wanted to show off the battle fuck system that I spend months creating. It's a human weakness to want to impress, even at the cost of a slightly worse design.

What I'm about to do, is actually the first time I'm going to be changing the effects of most Passives. Because when I say overhaul the Desire system, it really means going into each Passive and changing most of them. Like, most of these Passives are stuff I coded into the game two years ago and have remained untouched because I had planned them all out from the very beginning. So it's going to be a massive amount of work to go back and change them. Which is why I agonized on whether or not to just leave it all alone. But since the Glory Hole battle requires so much art to be drawn by Sachinama AND I managed to implement tooltips into the game, I figured now is the only realistic time to do it if I'm ever going to do it.

The ultimate end goal is to make the early game progression more gradual and immersive, and also more newbie-friendly from the Desire system being easier to learn and process. This might? seem like a disappointing, maybe even unnecessary decision on my part? for someone who already has a fully slutted out Karryn, but as always for everything I try to do, I think it leads to a better game, and also a much better game for someone who has yet to play Karryn's Prison.

And I hope this does lead to a better game experience for current and future new players!
Anyone else thinks that such balance change now requires the max warden level cap per prison level to be increased significantly? Since it will now be harder to train sex specific stats....

Neriel

Jan 19, 2018
Anyone else thinks that such balance change now requires the max warden level cap per prison level to be increased significantly? Since it will now be harder to train sex specific stats....
Why should it be harder? The only difference is, that you cannot get fucked now in the first battle. But you still can get groped nonstop, which will increase END or keep desires low enough, that enemies will jerk off to increase Charm.

ahrimansiah

Oct 28, 2017
At the end this sound good BUT i hope it doesnt increase the delay until next release! which im afraid it will and will increase it alot...

4.60 star(s) 387 Votes