Unity King of the School [v0.14] [Azteca]

Azteca

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2018
1701363436535.png

Overview:
"King of the school" is a life simulator of an ordinary school student who will have to face issues of socialization and establish relationships with other students and teachers, each with their own unique traits, who also interact with each other. Players will have direct influence on both their character and all NPCs in the game, altering their traits, engaging in conflicts, or forming friendships to ultimately achieve any, even the most spicy goal.

Whether it's engaging in sports, studying, conflicts, joining interest groups, or weaving intrigues - the choice is yours! After all, achieving the title "King of the school" is solely in your hands.
Thread Updated: 2024-03-29
Release Date: 2024-03-08
Developer: Azteca - -
Censored: No
Version: 0.14
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - -
Mac: - - -

photo_2023-11-30_12-27-03.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-27-25.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-27-36.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-27-46.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-27-53.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-28-07.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-28-19.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-28-30.jpg photo_2023-11-30_12-28-39.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

srnoob

Jun 30, 2017
I'm going to give this game a chance, I imagine that in terms of content there is still a lot left but it looks well rounded and without bugs

Reactions: Azteca

GuardianSoul

Mar 21, 2020
Dang, this is an ambitious project. Best of luck with it.

Not to give unsolicited feedback but based on the time I've spent so far:

Energy economy is harsh, it's super easy to run out of energy and very difficult to regain it. I only saw sleeping in class as a way to regain energy and it only restored ~1.7 where most actions seem to take around 2. I could have missed other sources, but it's hard to explore and figure out what is going on with how quickly time progresses and the constant push towards attending classes.

Talking with people is...not productive? Most of the time I tried the basic talk option it just resulted in me losing relationship and energy. It's not clear how to actually build relationship with characters other than waiting for them to come up and talk to you, which you can then react to and get relationship from.

I know this is a fundamental feature but it may be a good idea to take the timed decisions out. It's very hard to read the text popups explaining what is going on while also having only a few seconds to make a choice.

That all being said I like the activity log and the detail it provides, I just didn't have the time to actually read into any of it with how fast time progresses in game. Having that detail and information on what is happening with the class is a cool feature though!

Again, I respect the ambition to try and make something like this and wish you all the best with it!

Azteca

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2018
Dang, this is an ambitious project. Best of luck with it.

Not to give unsolicited feedback but based on the time I've spent so far:

Energy economy is harsh, it's super easy to run out of energy and very difficult to regain it. I only saw sleeping in class as a way to regain energy and it only restored ~1.7 where most actions seem to take around 2. I could have missed other sources, but it's hard to explore and figure out what is going on with how quickly time progresses and the constant push towards attending classes.

Talking with people is...not productive? Most of the time I tried the basic talk option it just resulted in me losing relationship and energy. It's not clear how to actually build relationship with characters other than waiting for them to come up and talk to you, which you can then react to and get relationship from.

I know this is a fundamental feature but it may be a good idea to take the timed decisions out. It's very hard to read the text popups explaining what is going on while also having only a few seconds to make a choice.

That all being said I like the activity log and the detail it provides, I just didn't have the time to actually read into any of it with how fast time progresses in game. Having that detail and information on what is happening with the class is a cool feature though!

Again, I respect the ambition to try and make something like this and wish you all the best with it!
Thank you for your feedback, I will definitely continue to develop the project and take into account your comment ><

metexxx

Oct 27, 2018
Will be watching with great interest, these games usually fall into the habit of adding too many features and never refining them. Also, uncanny valley 3d models. Hope this one doesn't see that happen.

straboavso1

Dec 1, 2019
I agree wholeheartedly with everything GuardianSoul said. Energy drain is far too harsh to the point that you can hardly accomplish anything without sleeping the whole day. NPCs suffer from the same thing; I wanted to talk to someone and I couldn't because they were tired near the end of the day. The day goes by too quickly as well at the moment for the player to do much.

I'm not sure if there is one and I couldn't find it but I think the game could do with a pause option, especially when viewing menus so you have enough time to take things in. Right now it feels like you have to rush around to do much of anything. There's the basis for a good game here but the above things (basically what GuardianSoul has already pointed out) need addressing or else it feels like a hassle to play at the moment.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if the quick save function is working yet?

newtoad

Jun 11, 2018
I assume this is inspired by Artificial Academy. One of my biggest gripes with that series is how rigid the requirements for some things were (ie. this person will only do this thing if they have this personality and also have this stat, and also the other person has this type of personality).

Another one is how it leans on extremes too much. Say you're trying to make a student who is the 'popular one.' At a certain point when you have the right combination of stats, he goes from an average student to having 80% of the class be in love with him. There was not a lot of space in between. This kind of goes hand in hand with rigid requirements for events, where things tend to be either on or off as opposed to having a chance to happen based on a gradient.

Lastly, how little students interact with each other in any meaningful way. It could take so many interactions in AA for two students to become close, and the fact that there's such a low chance of them interacting means it's never going to happen organically. This is part of why the game leans to extremes where everyone wants the same person and will give in to them so readily, because it seems stats on their own were far more important than interactions between NPCs, so they developed feelings instantly.

These are just my opinions, but I think if the goal is to make this game AA-like, then these are pitfalls to avoid. This looks like a really interesting idea. Best of luck! I hope it works out, because there's nothing else like it being made.

Reactions: Reinu and Azteca

Azteca

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2018
I assume this is inspired by Artificial Academy. One of my biggest gripes with that series is how rigid the requirements for some things were (ie. this person will only do this thing if they have this personality and also have this stat, and also the other person has this type of personality).

Another one is how it leans on extremes too much. Say you're trying to make a student who is the 'popular one.' At a certain point when you have the right combination of stats, he goes from an average student to having 80% of the class be in love with him. There was not a lot of space in between. This kind of goes hand in hand with rigid requirements for events, where things tend to be either on or off as opposed to having a chance to happen based on a gradient.

Lastly, how little students interact with each other in any meaningful way. It could take so many interactions in AA for two students to become close, and the fact that there's such a low chance of them interacting means it's never going to happen organically. This is part of why the game leans to extremes where everyone wants the same person and will give in to them so readily, because it seems stats on their own were far more important than interactions between NPCs, so they developed feelings instantly.

These are just my opinions, but I think if the goal is to make this game AA-like, then these are pitfalls to avoid. This looks like a really interesting idea. Best of luck! I hope it works out, because there's nothing else like it being made.
I'm glad you liked the game, I'll try to meet your expectations >< And best of luck to you too

Nov 28, 2017
So 3 points
1) Please have some hotkey for moving the mouse without moving the camera. It feels so wrong to try and use the menu when the camera movement is tied to it... even in the main menu for some reason?

2) Yeah quick save would be nice.

3) At least allow one to change the character name.