lady in distress pic

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
One of my first pictures of my future Ren'Py game.
Enjoy!

:whistle:
Wait wait wait, I remember commenting on another one of your post of a picture of a cute blonde haired blue eyed 2dcg character, and that was also called something along the line of "First character of new game." What happened to that? Even though I like 3dcg, good 2dcg, is much better in my opinion.

Reactions: Spirox

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
First of all, I would help her get in the trunk xD
For the forrest I'd use a hdri, so you don't need to render twice and have correct shadows. The forrest prop you use is overkill for your hardware and I would recomment not rendering in 4k as well. You should work a bit on your light settings too, it looks artifical.
I'm not trying to be harsh, but you did a lot of beginner mistakes here. This simple scene can render way faster (yes, even on your hardware) if you set it up right ;)

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Iray uses GPU (Cuda cores) and 3Delight use CPU.

There is a workaround for your issue.

First, have the scene as you wish. There next, delete all assets on the character such as clothes and hair, remove all texture, remove bumps and what not so the figures is just an empty shell. (Can be done manually or with scene optimizer)
This now means you got something that can cast a shadow on the background without it taking any noticeable vram.

Then render again but this time the character as you want it to be. Then merge it with a software such as PS.
Now you have the shadows and it looks more realistic.

*Edit* But as people already have mentioned, I also recommend you do not overextend. Stick with what your GPU can handle for most situation. That technique should only be used on those rare renders you want to look great.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I think this post fit's nicely in this thread:
:)

Reactions: nyin

nyin

Game Developer
Mar 7, 2018
By the way how can I change what I want to use in my renders between the Nvidia or the CPU?
I cant believe it slipped my mind, but generally 3d applications can use different renderers. If you have multiple renderers for your 3d application, you should be able to adjust which renderer to use in your render settings. I'm not familiar with Daz itself, but I think it should apply as well.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Wait wait wait, I remember commenting on another one of your post of a picture of a cute blonde haired blue eyed 2dcg character, and that was also called something along the line of "First character of new game." What happened to that? Even though I like 3dcg, good 2dcg, is much better in my opinion.
Well, this project (the one with the cute blonde) is still on process, it just takes too much time for any artists to make more than 2cgs per month... That why I am working on my other projects :D
Btw you have a great memory haha

The forrest prop you use is overkill for your hardware and I would recomment not rendering in 4k as well. You should work a bit on your light settings too, it looks artifical.
I'm not trying to be harsh, but you did a lot of beginner mistakes here. This simple scene can render way faster (yes, even on your hardware) if you set it up right ;)
Yes, I couldn't render the forest+shadow with 3deligt and I couldn't render the forest alone with Nvidia :(

May I ask you how to set it up? Man, this scene is killing my computer and my patience too lol. I should use an HDRI but I wanted to have a good environment, don't know how an HDRI would look like in a RenPy game.

First, have the scene as you wish. There next, delete all assets on the character such as clothes and hair, remove all texture, remove bumps and what not so the figures is just an empty shell. (Can be done manually or with scene optimizer)
This now means you got something that can cast a shadow on the background without it taking any noticeable vram.

Then render again but this time the character as you want it to be. Then merge it with a software such as PS.
Now you have the shadows and it looks more realistic.
I think I get what you are talking about, I should render everything without the light and the shadows alone and then merge it all?
The merge part is just a basic copy/past or is it more? I don't have PS I have Clip Studio Paint and I am still very new to it.

*Edit* But as people already have mentioned, I also recommend you do not overextend. Stick with what your GPU can handle for most situation. That technique should only be used on those rare renders you want to look great.
If only I knew in advance what my GPU can really handle :LOL:

Reactions: RedPillBlues

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I think I get what you are talking about, I should render everything without the light and the shadows alone and then merge it all?
The merge part is just a basic copy/past or is it more? I don't have PS I have Clip Studio Paint and I am still very new to it.
Like this.
You have your charcter (and envoriement and so on)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Delete everything from hair and clothes. You then use a script like scene optimizer and remove everything.
Which will make your character look like this.

Now, this figure requires almost nothing to render.
Then render the character with full texture, clothes and no environment.

And then clip them together with your software of choice.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Like this.
You have your charcter (and envoriement and so on)

Delete everything from hair and clothes. You then use a script like scene optimizer and remove everything.
Which will make your character look like this.

Now, this figure requires almost nothing to render.
Then render the character with full texture, clothes and no environment.

And then clip them together with your software of choice.
Thanks for the tips the only problem is I can render the character in Nvidia easily, but the forest environment is just an overkill especially if you add the light :(

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks for the tips the only problem is I can render the character in Nvidia easily, but the forest environment is just an overkill especially if you add the light :(
Generally, grass, trees, and all those shenanigans are very heavy hitters. I had 1070 with 8gb and usually when I did environments I had to delete every trees and grass outside of the camera view (remember, everything gets into the vram even if they not in the viewport)

Even now with a 2080ti (11gb) I still struggle a lot with it.
So I can only advice you to stick with some hdris. And maybe add a tree or two close up

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Generally, grass, trees, and all those shenanigans are very heavy hitters. I had 1070 with 8gb and usually when I did environments I had to delete every trees and grass outside of the camera view (remember, everything gets into the vram even if they not in the viewport)

Even now with a 2080ti (11gb) I still struggle a lot with it.
So I can only advice you to stick with some hdris. And maybe add a tree or two close up
Damn it...

For some reason, I could render another forest view but there where no road in it... Damn all my game is based on a lot of scene with forest, I guess I will have to stick with HDRIs...

Can an external GPU like this one help in the process?

Also, since my laptop is not the best of the best, what do I need to render some videos? Especially sexual ones like in Milfy city (render a video of a blowjob etc)

Thanks for your time guys and sorry I asked you a lot of questions HopesGaming.

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Damn it...

For some reason, I could render another forest view but there where no road in it... Damn all my game is based on a lot of scene with forest, I guess I will have to stick with HDRIs...

Can an external GPU like this one help in the process?

Also, since my laptop is not the best of the best, what do I need to render some videos? Especially sexual ones like in Milfy city (render a video of a blowjob etc)

Thanks for your time guys and sorry I asked you a lot of questions HopesGaming.
When looking for graphic cards you need to look out for two things.
1. cuda cores (GPU). This determines the speed of your render.
2. Vram (GPU). This determines how much stuff can be on the scene before it goes to cpu rendering (which you never wants).
Of course, there is a bit more to it but overall as long as you know these two things you be fine.

I am not so much into laptops and external graphics cards but I assume they would work like normal graphics cards on a stationary.
So, the 1070 has 1920 cuda cores and 8gb vram.

This is actually the graphics card I used for my whole game up until now.
I don't know if you've played my game but the graphics are not going to wow anyone but at the same time, it gets the job done without complaints.
Whenever there are 3 characters or more I usually have to half the characters texture (the script does this for you easily)
Not noticeable visually.
So it can take you far. Far enough to get a decent upgrade in the future.
Ram is also very important. I had 16gb but moved to 40gb midway due to constant crashes.
Daz uses a shitton of that.

Animations:
This one requires a good GPU for a decent render.
Imagine doing one render. Now you have to do around 100 renders for 1-2 sec of animation.
So many downgrades the resolution and time of it. Expect 10+ hours for a semi okayish render.
But I am not the best in animation so can't advise too much on that. One aspect I am trying to improve on.

Some samples of the gpu and my renders.

TDLR.
Cuda core is important as it finishes a render faster.
But the time-consuming part is rarely the render itself. It's setting it up.
So imo more vram is better. (up to discussion ofc.)
Ram is important too (do not neglect that)
And animations are hard, basically.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Iray uses GPU (Cuda cores) and 3Delight use CPU.
Most render engines use ray tracing to calculate lighting, reflection, refraction and so on. When primary rays intersect with geometry they split into multiple secondary rays that reflect and interact with other geometry.

Iray on the other hand, is not a ray tracer, it's a path tracer. Iray only splits one random secondary ray, from the path of a primary ray. Because of this, Iray requires a lot more light... an unnatural amount of light, and a ridiculous amount of processing.

Also, Iray requires modified materials that make it more difficult to work with, but this only affects those who make their own models, not people who buy from Daz, or use Iray models.

inb4 daz shills, and nvidia stockholders give you their opinion. I am not trying to sell you anything, just stating the facts. Use whatever works for you.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Before you buy a new grafics crad, I think you should have a look at the tutorial in my signature (or click ). There is a lot more things you can do to reduce render times, but it's a good starting point.
Also, have a look at , they have a lot hdri's and all for free ;)

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Most render engines use ray tracing to calculate lighting, reflection, refraction and so on. When primary rays intersect with geometry they split into multiple secondary rays that reflect and interact with other geometry.

Iray on the other hand, is not a ray tracer, it's a path tracer. Iray only splits one random secondary ray, from the path of a primary ray. Because of this, Iray requires a lot more light... an unnatural amount of light, and a ridiculous amount of processing.

Also, Iray requires modified materials that make it more difficult to work with, but this only affects those who make their own models, not people who buy from Daz, or use Iray models.

inb4 daz shills, and nvidia stockholders give you their opinion. I am not trying to sell you anything, just stating the facts. Use whatever works for you.
I agree.
And there is a lot of annoyance with using iray and daz no denying that.
But it is also easy accessiblity.
Octane is a good option, yet would look weird to change mid-project.
Secondly, definitely going to pay some commission work for custom daz work.

Time and accessibility are really what makes daz and iray good for novice devs.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
I would be damned...

This scene was rendered in HD Nvidia Iray (I am going to try the UHD right now), even if it's a forest my laptop for some reason could do it, but the other scene (different environment) with the road, it just can't do it... I don't get it...

render time 37min:

HD_Weird_Forest.png

Reactions: polywog