• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Laptop Recommendations!

shawnmaple2020

Aug 23, 2021
Hey Everyone, I feel like this is a stupid question but i'll ask anyways, I'm planning to get a laptop for the sole purpose of playing renpy, unity, rpgm games. Being a complete novice when it comes to technology has me struggling on what to buy. Any advice on specs or recommendations on what to buy?

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Your budget ?

It all begins from that question.

You don't really need an expensive laptop to run those you mentioned. These days integrated cards has advanced enough to run smoothly most of games.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
Does it actually need to be a laptop?

You can get better for less money with a desktop, to the point that the money saved will more than cover a light-duty laptop or premium phone* to handle your mobile needs

*Fun experiment for people with the sort of USB-C hub with a HDMI output - connect your phone to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

shawnmaple2020

Aug 23, 2021
Does it actually need to be a laptop?

You can get better for less money with a desktop, to the point that the money saved will more than cover a light-duty laptop or premium phone* to handle your mobile needs

*Fun experiment for people with the sort of USB-C hub with a HDMI output - connect your phone to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
it does not need to be a laptop really, i figured desktops would be more expensive

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
The games on this site can nearly run on a calculator. So look to the lower end of your budget.
Specs for a laptop you want to look out for:
8GB of RAM (4 GB is still sold but if you open two tabs in your internet browser you run into performance issues).
512 GB SSD (256 is an option but it will mean you have to clean up your SSD more often. Options that include a SSD with a lower than 256 capacity should be ignored.)
Screen size of 15" or up (13" and 14" also means a small keyboard which is horrible to type on)
Even in a relatively expensive country in the relatively expensive EU you can pay €400 - €500 for a laptop that suits your needs.

razfaz

Mar 24, 2021
Grow up! Be mature and buy what YOU think is best for You.

PS: Sounds harsh, but You will never get a satisfin' answer here ;) (too much Nerds).

In the end You have to go to the shop and buy what You want!
Try r´thw tech out, jump into it... If it sux, you can return that tech within your country's return policy.
Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: shawnmaple2020

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
A good trick if you are not tech-savy and want to play games is to check the minimum requirements of the latest popular game, in this case Starfield: and use that as a base. The minimum requirements for that PC would be between 600-700 dollars range, so if you want to push it to 1k-ish, you could look into having more RAM or a slightly better GPU.

razfaz

Mar 24, 2021
Funny, I just installed Starfield and play my first minutes.
PS: I doubt You will have "super" much fun with pre NV 30 gen. cards
You can play with less, but ... less fun
CPU does not matter that much for Starfield

Last edited:

shawnmaple2020

Aug 23, 2021
The games on this site can nearly run on a calculator. So look to the lower end of your budget.
Specs for a laptop you want to look out for:
8GB of RAM (4 GB is still sold but if you open two tabs in your internet browser you run into performance issues).
512 GB SSD (256 is an option but it will mean you have to clean up your SSD more often. Options that include a SSD with a lower than 256 capacity should be ignored.)
Screen size of 15" or up (13" and 14" also means a small keyboard which is horrible to type on)
Even in a relatively expensive country in the relatively expensive EU you can pay €400 - €500 for a laptop that suits your needs.
okay, i'll start checking it out, thank you!

shawnmaple2020

Aug 23, 2021
Grow up! Be mature and buy what YOU think is best for You.

PS: Sounds harsh, but You will never get a satisfin' answer here ;) (too much Nerds).

In the end You have to go to the shop and buy what You want!
Try r´thw tech out, jump into it... If it sux, you can return that tech within your country's return policy.
Easy peasy.
I understand what you mean, thank you for your words of wisdom and like you said, worse comes to worse i'll just return it

Reactions: razfaz

shawnmaple2020

Aug 23, 2021
A good trick if you are not tech-savy and want to play games is to check the minimum requirements of the latest popular game, in this case Starfield: and use that as a base. The minimum requirements for that PC would be between 600-700 dollars range, so if you want to push it to 1k-ish, you could look into having more RAM or a slightly better GPU.
Oh okay, this'll help alot actually, thanks alot!

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
okay, i'll start checking it out, thank you!
just as a note: I went with you only playing games on this site/using the internet/editing documents like word or excel. If you have other plans with your laptop/PC it might change the specs.

razfaz

Mar 24, 2021
You triggerd' my tech pr0n nerve:

Mobile:
1694233006356.png

PadTop:
1694233177122.png

Last edited:

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
all engines you provided can be done with a base level laptop with cheap specs, now if you added unreal engine to that list then i would suggest a much more buffed out spec, but you didnt include that so entry level laptops should be fine

Reactions: shawnmaple2020

shawnmaple2020

Aug 23, 2021
So I ended up getting a MSI Computer GF63, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Graphics, 15.6" 8GB 256GB Intel Core i5-10300H X4 2.5GHz Win10, Black and it's great but the battery drains quite fast, not that I'm complaining. Thank you all for your advise seriously!