Legit assets sources request for DAZ

Frosthugger

Dec 28, 2017
I don't agree, for me BB is the best visually. I like the character design and soft, bright sets. Still, perhaps I'm wrong - point me to an example something better-looking and I will reconsider :)

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
I don't agree, for me BB is the best visually. I like the character design and soft, bright sets. Still, perhaps I'm wrong - point me to an example something better-looking and I will reconsider :)
You misunderstand my friend. I never said BB was bad or that there were much better games out there, I simply said that the bar is set low by BB since the renders are all very flat, by design to speed up render times. If you are aiming for the same just fill your scenes with ghost lights until there are barely any shadows and you will be golden. I would personally try to aspire to be better though

A good place to look would be These renders are superior to BB

JKnight

Aug 15, 2016
The render took 30 minutes on my GTX970. The previous one was 5 minutes. Still, worth it. Do you know how to see how much memory a scene takes in Iray?
You can use MSI Afterburner to watch how much video memory a scene is using. Very useful if you have a keyboard with an LCD.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
For BB style you will also have to be very good at Photoshop filters. As Darksilver uses a ton of post-processing in Photoshop. His style is ok but makes everything look like it's covered in baby oil.
I work with PTOLEMY His style is really good but the key to that is we do complete renders. There are quite a few game devs that don't let there renders finish and you end up with speckling in the renders. If your using a GTX 970 I hate to say it but quality wise your results will be ok, not great if doing 1080p renders need at least a GTX 1070

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
For BB style you will also have to be very good at Photoshop filters. As Darksilver uses a ton of post-processing in Photoshop. His style is ok but makes everything look like it's covered in baby oil.
I work with PTOLEMY His style is really good but the key to that is we do complete renders. There are quite a few game devs that don't let there renders finish and you end up with speckling in the renders. If your using a GTX 970 I hate to say it but quality wise your results will be ok, not great if doing 1080p renders need at least a GTX 1070
Im inclined to disagree. i render 4k images with a GTX 960 quite happily, it just requires some optimization. I also strongly disagree that Ptolemy renders are better. If dreaming of Dana is anything to go by DarkSilver is leagues ahead

Reactions: Phoenixfarts

Frosthugger

Dec 28, 2017
You misunderstand my friend. I never said BB was bad or that there were much better games out there, I simply said that the bar is set low by BB since the renders are all very flat, by design to speed up render times. If you are aiming for the same just fill your scenes with ghost lights until there are barely any shadows and you will be golden. I would personally try to aspire to be better though

A good place to look would be These renders are superior to BB
I haven't played Timestamps, but from the preview images in the thread it looks good, but overdone. For me the shadows there are too strong, too dark, they don't look like that in real life unless you have special dedicated lighting, so I have to keep disagreeing on that point :) as for BB, I don't know what to say really, the renders are very pleasant too look at, for me at least. Also I don't think DarkSilver needs to cut down on the renders, with the popularity his game has, he's probably sporting multiple TI cards or maybe even multiple rigs.

That has to be killing her toes!
Indeed. I'm still learning posing properly :)

I have not played Dana so I can't really say much on that. The renders I posted are complete ones. The graphics card I have can't really fit the scenes I make very well (maybe I'm doing something wrong) and that delegates renders to my processor, which is unfortunate. Still, I can't really justify (financially) upgrading to a 8 or 11 gig card right now. The GTX970 is a good card with 3,5gigs and a lot of CUDA, but they don't matter if it can't fit the scene, right? As for photoshop, I don't use it, so no filters :) Perhaps I should, but it's expensive and I don't use pirated software (yes I know, strange in a place like this, but that's what I believe and the Patreon games here are not technically pirated, because they are not commercial products. I also buy all the DAZ assets or use stuff that's free for commercial renders)

Im inclined to disagree. i render 4k images with a GTX 960 quite happily, it just requires some optimization. I also strongly disagree that Ptolemy renders are better. If dreaming of Dana is anything to go by DarkSilver is leagues ahead
What sort of optimization do you mean?

As for my game project, I've completed 7 female characters (I don't want generic, so lots of morphing) out of 10 planned so far and I'm seriously worried I might be stretching everything too thin in terms of how broad the story is. The Neighbors game by Pandelo only has 2 and it's great. Also trying to come up with a good name for it involving a teacher theme. My story has 3 main threads and I'm worried it might be too much, since most games have no more than two. For example BB: get house, corrupt family, Teacher's Pets: school, family, babysitter: niece, work and so on. I will probably post some test renders relatively soon.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
guess you have not seen the newer stuff in Dana. If you're going by the older stuff at the start of the game then yea, not that wonderful. But that was part of the learning curve with Daz. I do wish I could figure everything out that Dark Silver uses but he won't divulge his secret recipe so to speak. I've tried getting it out of him myself.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Im inclined to disagree. I render 4k images with a GTX 960 quite happily, it just requires some optimization. I also strongly disagree that Ptolemy renders are better. If dreaming of Dana is anything to go by DarkSilver is leagues ahead
Cerous how long it takes to do a render in 4k on a 970. I know it can do 4K and 1080 but in production time you need Cuda Cores. We just started our new project which is rendered in 4k I had to bite the bullet on a 1080ti for reducing render time. Can do a well-sized render with lots of objects in about an hour and thirty minutes

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
960 with 8GB daz seems to think it has Cuda cores. Im no expert on that side of things. Render time depends on how well i have optimized the scene but it can take several hours.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
True was not knocking you I was just saying that the more Cuda core to throw at it the better and it takes less time to render. When you do 100+ renders a month it adds up.

Frosthugger

Dec 28, 2017
I can't say how long it takes really, because I have not figured out the best setting yet. For example the test render I will include in this post took around 2-3 hours, but the scene contains the whole house and the system was set to memory optimization (no system lag). As for the scene itself - I was training posing and lighting. I need to adjust the hair a bit and maybe change the eyes to less glossy. Light needs some tweaks too I guess, but it's better than when I was using point and spotlights :) Feedback appreciated as always.

drinkscene2.jpg

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
I think you are at that point now where any tweaks are a matter or personal preference. As you've seen in this thread peoples opinions wildly differ on what is "good" and what isn't. So far as the technical side goes you know the basics so its mostly just a case of experimenting until you find the look that makes you happy.