Unity - Completed - Leisure Suit Larry - Wet Dreams Don't Dry [CrazyBunch]

1. 4.00 star(s)

LordCorwin

I was hesitant to be fully on board with this new studio, Crazy Bunch, taking over the wheel of the humorously perverse series, since the last few entires to see this happen were a pretty big let down all things considered. But there was hope, a return to the point-and-click formula and an updated look that might inspire more players to check things out. Sadly, this entry nailed only 1 out of 3 things that makes a Leisure Suit Larry game a Leisure Suit Larry game.

The positive comes in with the story that was pretty much as simple as your average Leisure Suit Larry title offers, but it was chock full of relevant humor that stuck to being about technology and new age life styles and keeping far away from less PC things like politics and religion. Our Larry has awoken after a seemingly long cryogenic nap, where most of everyone who Larry knew is dead and his place in this new age world is questioned. However this doesn't deter Larry who immediately picks up where he left off and goes on the hunt for some tail, and thankfully he's already used to performing miscellaneous tasks to reach that goal because boy does he need to play errand boy this time around.

Larry's main goal is the right-hand woman of Bill Jobs, CEO of Prune, whose technology seems to permeate every aspect of life in this new world. Her name is Faith, and like many other women in Larry's past, her bar is set way out of Larry's reach. To get with this business lady, Larry much achieve a Timber dating app score of 80, but this means he needs to get with as many woman as possible and get the highest rating to earn that score. Assisting Larry, begrudgingly, is Larry's brand new PiPhone and the AI on the phone named Pi. She's likely the closest things Larry will have as a companion, though he doesn't seem to appreciate her as much as I thought he should have.

Which brings me to Larry himself, who not only has an updated look that is far more appealing than his short and fat appearance, but is also far less crude and rude. This is truly a Larry for the 20th century, but in doing this, Crazy Bunch actually trimmed off a key aspect of the games. There's no sex. Now I don't mean to say that Larry is usually getting laid left and right, but in every Leisure Suit Larry game to date, Larry has always gotten the girl in the end. His efforts have always paid off, and that dream girl he was shooting for is wooed. In WDDD though, this new Larry has no such luck. He is denied Faith in the very ending, in what seems like a setup for a sequel by Crazy Bunch. However they might have shot themselves in the foot, as many diehard Leisure Suit Larry fans have complained about this aspect. Not that I agree with everything they brought up, like the animation, which I personally felt was great and did a fine job at making the girls attractive, but when the core audience for this game are all agreeing on this point, it makes you question if Crazy Bunch have the stuff to pull it off.

But that's only two points, what about the third? Well you see Leisure Suit Larry is also a game full of references and easter eggs to other things, but it is also full of secrets, even Magna Cum Laude knew this. WDDD on the other hand did have references, to previous entires and to a lesser extent major worldly events, but it lacked any and all secrets. Not a single things that is meant to be clicked on did not actually serve a plot-line purpose, click around as much as you want but you won't find a single hidden secret that reveals a sexy cutscene, alters a normal scene to be more sensual, or just injects a bit of humor into the environment. Meaning that in the end Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry only successfully achieves 1 out of 3 points of a Leisure Suit Larry game, and because of this I don't know if Crazy Bunch will see the profits to warrant a sequel to this entry.

Be that as it may, I still want to see Larry put to bed for good. His dead end with Lust in Space being lost in the void of Sierra's computers was a punch to the nuts, and the depressing shut down of the remastered series thanks to one asshole's criminal history was a solid kick to the head. So if Crazy Bunch had plans to simply make this new Larry a two parter, then I might be able to look past the fact they messed up by making a Leisure Suit Larry title with no nudity and no secrets. If this new Larry can find the love of his life and find happiness in this new age, I will be a satisfied customer. Until then, Crazy Bunch are on notice.

Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don't Dry gets a 6.8 out of 10
  2. 5.00 star(s)

leftysdivebar

Wet Dreams don't dry is a fun game, that lives up to its lineage. Although, that being said, it might not be for everyone. It probably does not enough sex/nudity (none really) for the f95 crowd, but it is 100% worth a playthrough. I bought it, and I am happy I did. I love the Larry series, except box office bust. I probably wouldn't be browsing F95 if I hadn't discovered the Larry series when I was a kid.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

gunderson

To the uploader: thanks for uploading a thing! Yup, this is a game that sounds, based solely on the title, like it fits on f95.

To potential downloaders: don't. Just don't.

Did you ever want to hear endless jokes in English about millennials, written by Germans who took a few English language classes in college but otherwise aren't 100% sure how the language works? Did you find all that 'nudity' from previous Leisure Suit Larry games offensive? Did you think sex games didn't have enough toilet humor in them? Is the only way you can achieve sexual arousal to rub random items together for hours on end so that you can get to the next Goddamn scene so that a terrible game can finally end?

If so, then Wet Dreams Don't Dry is for you!

If not, then congratulations! You might still be sane!

Seriously though, don't get this game. It sucks. Personally, I vouch for Magna Cum Laude. It's not perfect, but if you can get past its shitty arcade sequences it's actually pretty well-written and has a decent amount of (3D rendered) nudity. Definitely more worth your time than THIS garbage game. Or, obviously, just play the original Leisure Suit Larry series made by Al Lowe if you haven't already. But if you've played through them all like I have, then MCL isn't a bad way to spend some time.
  4. 1.00 star(s)

Amedore

There is only one reason to do a game with a MC as shabby and ridiculous as this one: to be as politically incorrect as possible and to make jokes about everybody and everything without caring about who is offended, Family Guy or South Park style.

Well, this is not the case with this game. This game is 100% politically corrected. According the "making of" of the game in company's Youtube channel, it has been done by some millennials without wit or real sense of irony (although they probably think they have both), and extraordinarily worried about not offending anyone.

Of course, they have never dare to make a MC as ridiculous as Larry, being the MC a black lesbian, for example.

There is no sex at all in this game, by the way.