Lighting for Visual novels

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Hi everyone ! I apologize if this is the wrong section.
I use daz 3d and can't seem to figure out how to set up might lighting to make it look like VN style.
I keep getting shadows etc and close to realistic images when all I want is some good old VN style renders. Is there a certain way to do this?

Also i'm new here and I saw the asset releases. What is that exactly? From the looks of it, it's famous daz assets uploaded here for no cost? I'm obviously wrong so it would be great if someone can educate me

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I use daz 3d and can't seem to figure out how to set up might lighting to make it look like VN style.
I keep getting shadows etc and close to realistic images when all I want is some good old VN style renders. Is there a certain way to do this?
Well, some people LIKE shadows and realistic lighting for their VN's. LOL One thing you might consider is using the 3Delight renderer instead of the iRay renderer. iRay has been specifically designed to produce realistic renders with "try to behave the way that light really behaves" light. 3Delight takes different approaches, and, possibly, is closer to what you're looking for. If not, then maybe you need to look at something like HoneySelect instead of Daz Studio.

Also i'm new here and I saw the asset releases. What is that exactly? From the looks of it, it's famous daz assets uploaded here for no cost? I'm obviously wrong so it would be great if someone can educate me
Nope, you're not wrong. This is, after all, a pirate site...

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
Well, some people LIKE shadows and realistic lighting for their VN's. LOL One thing you might consider is using the 3Delight renderer instead of the iRay renderer. iRay has been specifically designed to produce realistic renders with "try to behave the way that light really behaves" light. 3Delight takes different approaches, and, possibly, is closer to what you're looking for. If not, then maybe you need to look at something like HoneySelect instead of Daz Studio.

Nope, you're not wrong. This is, after all, a pirate site...
Thank you for the response!
I figured Daz would be the place for me to start because I saw some renders from a game called Being a Dik. The renders don't look like they have very realistic settings and that's what I like.
I read somewhere that it was made with Daz so maybe I just gotta mess with some settings

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Thank you for the response!
I figured Daz would be the place for me to start because I saw some renders from a game called Being a Dik. The renders don't look like they have very realistic settings and that's what I like.
I read somewhere that it was made with Daz so maybe I just gotta mess with some settings
I'm 99.44% sure those were done with iRay, but, as you say, lighting is everything. One way you can create that kind of "flat, non-shadowed" lighting is to use ghost lights instead of spotlights. Large ghost lights tend to create very non-directional-looking lighting. Spotlights (or small ghost lights) tend to be more directional, which means they cast shadows. (Just like in real life.)

Reactions: CaramelCowboy

CaramelCowboy

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2020
I'm 99.44% sure those were done with iRay, but, as you say, lighting is everything. One way you can create that kind of "flat, non-shadowed" lighting is to use ghost lights instead of spotlights. Large ghost lights tend to create very non-directional-looking lighting. Spotlights (or small ghost lights) tend to be more directional, which means they cast shadows. (Just like in real life.)
Thank you again. I really appreciate the input from experienced developers/users